Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Computer Printers Good value, Good performance?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2001, 08:31 AM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggest the Epson Stylus 680 Colour printer. Has sepeare black ink to keep running costs reasonable. Print quality is good as it does 2800dpi and its reasonably quick.

Your for around £100-115 , oh it doesn't come with a printer cable.

AllanB
Old 27 January 2001, 09:27 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Allan beat me to it I've just bought one of the Epson Colour 680s aswell. Nice printer with very good quality images. For 100 quid (got mine from PC World) you can't really beat (and it is compatable with Windows 2000). Recommended.

Chris
Old 27 January 2001, 12:07 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Hi, my 5 year old Lexmark Winwriter 150C has finally expired! Any recommendations for a replacement? Home office sort of work.

Obviously prices have dropped and quality has increased since I paid £350 for my relic

There is a computer fair near me tomorrow morning so a quick response would be appreciated!

Cheers

Mick
Old 27 January 2001, 08:31 PM
ChrisB

The new issue of PC Pro has a big Inkjet Printer test - might be worth a quick read.

Chris.
Old 27 January 2001, 09:02 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Red face

You'll laugh at this (at me maybe )
My printer started misbehaving around the time I installed WinME. This seems to have been coinciding with cartridges running low . My BIOS required an update to make itself entirely happy with ME. This was completed successfully. Later we noticed problems with the printer not working properly. Reinstalled the drivers & then could not complete installation. Checking the LEXMARK site bbs a few other people have had probs with WinME. I ran through the trouble shooter which asked me to run through an installation checklist. The bit about the port compatability with ECP worried me. I knew I had done it but felt it needed checking. It turns out that the new BIOS had set all the defaults back and the printer port was now incorrect

Now it is sorted

Mick
Old 29 January 2001, 10:47 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

The Epson Stylus range is extremly impressive - for home/small office b&w with colour if necessary. Make sure you get one with a separate black cartridge.

If you want just B&W and fast ppm go for a laser though.
Old 30 January 2001, 12:49 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had an Epson stylus 440 which was crap!!
It took ages to get going when you started it up, going through an amazingly complex shuffling backwards and forwards of the print head type thing. The result was if you turned it on to just print one page it could take literally 3 or 4 minutes.
When it started to make odd graunching noises followed by jamming up completely I was only too pleased to replace it with a HP Deskjet 840c which in comparison is superb.
Old 30 January 2001, 09:28 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

I've got a 680 and I reckon it's brilliant. PC World have it for £99 which was actually cheaper than any Net places when I looked just before xmas. Photo quality on decent paper is absolutely stunning - wouldn't have believe it if I hadn't printed it out myself!

Forgot to say - use USB rather than parallel port if at all possible, as it's far faster and much easier to set up / more reliable.

Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard Gledhill (edited 30 January 2001).]
Old 30 January 2001, 09:49 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

Cool

I have just bought an Epson 880, it has slightly faster printing and less cost per page than the 680, but is £50 more expensive.

I think the resolution is better too but I am not sure.

Stuart
Old 30 January 2001, 10:43 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I have been looking at the reviews, Epson 880 looked good but I was sorely tempted by the HP Deskjet 990 Cxi! (being an autophile - those letters are just wonderful, akin to 'GTi' or 'Turbo' )

If anyone sees it cheap anywhere please let me know - as I'm sure the Lexmark won't last forever

Mick
Old 31 January 2001, 09:47 AM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

We have an HP 970Cxi in the office, it's fantastic, gets a lot of hammer, doesn't break, cartridges last a long time, does double sided and is USB!

Simon.