Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sega to Stop making Hardware!

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2001, 09:41 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear..

I have just read a report of Channel four Digitiser (page 481) that Sega has announced it is pulling out of making hardware.

Sega is about to post is 3r or 4th consecutive loss and is know to loose £60 on each DC sale due to the low price.

Sega is to foucs on making software for all formats including the PS2 and Game Cube.

Personally I think its a shame as the DC is a great conslole with fab games, however it was very badly marketed. I dont like the idea of less players and less competition.

I am happy however becuase it will mean that there will be a load of better games for the PS2 as Sega and thier loyal developers look to the remaining formats. This may stop the current trend of "Cool rally EA raider tekken version 6" games that seem to dominate the PS2 schedule, and it could help the industry with a fresh injection of originality.

Can anyone confirm this with any other source?
Old 24 January 2001, 08:09 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

Yes, heard it on the radio this morning but what makes other people think that they can make money where SEGA can't?

F
Old 24 January 2001, 08:17 AM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

I believe Sega announced this a few months ago (maybe in Develop) As I understand it they will work on other formats which are not in direct competition with existing Sega consoles, so no work on the PS2, I also seen to remember something about them working on the software for the next gen of mobile phones, might be wrong though.

Old 24 January 2001, 08:22 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I hope they may look to the PC as well now. Their previous ports were, well pants!

If they put as much effort into PC games as they did them lame **** consoles, the PC will just blow the consoles away.
(not that it doesnt now anyway!)

robski
Old 24 January 2001, 09:03 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking

Phew!!!!!!!

Sega Of America have made an official announcement, that this story is total bollox!!!!

"According to the folks at SoA, these latest rumors are nothing more than the equivilent of nature's original fertilizer.

Sometimes I hate my job. Like now, for instance. Journalism isn't all fun and games, even when one works for a site that focuses on, ironically enough, fun and games. Reporting and then retracting bad news - especially really, really bad news -
is a pain in the posterior.

Earlier today we passed along an MCV newsflash derived from a report that appeared in Japan's Nihon Keizai Shimbun (you can see our full story here). The gist was - just in case you've been in a news vacuum all day - Sega had decided to leave the hardware business and cease Dreamcast production in March. Rather than being a hardware and software company, Sega would shift in focus to producing only software. The kicker was that it would be produced for, among others, the PlayStation 2 and Game Boy Advance.

Scary, huh? Especially when it's coming from such reputable sources. Many gamers responded to the story in a manner not fit to print, but let's just say it more often than not combined a large bovine animal with big-*** horns and the by-product of the digestive process. 'Nuff said.

Sega of America has now officially taken a similar, but far more elegently phrased, stance. According to formal statement released by SoA, "...the company globally reaffirms its commitment to Dreamcast. In fact, Sega has more than 100 games worldwide coming out for the platform in the next year." The statement goes on to reiterate no official statement has been made regarding ceasing production of the Dreamcast hardware or that Sega will seek to develop software for other videogame platforms."

Funny how the original story of the production cease of the hardware, only came from a source in Japan and NEVER from SEGA themselves!!!!!

Don't write the Dreamcast off yet!!!!

Shaun.
Old 24 January 2001, 11:02 AM
Oz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Well, I think there is some truth in all of this...after all, Sega IS in the process of working on PS2 games...

Can't say how I know this but all will be revealed in a few months...