Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

job, relocation

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 11:43 AM
brett555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morning all , has anyone ever gone through the process of relocating for a new job. This may come up for me with a new job with very good prospects for me.

Currently i live nr manchester and the job is in London doing graphic design. I live with parents at the moment so it could possibly be a big step for me.

Has anyone got any advice ? tips ? Anything to look out for ?

thanks for help people
brett
Old 07 January 2003, 12:12 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

Don't go to London!!!!

If you are relocating, any company worth its salt should at the very least offer the following (assuming rented accomodation):

Allowance to travel down to London in order to find rented accomodation (up to five visits seems reasonable) whether its rail or petrol at an agreed company rate.

Pay for van / removal firm to move stuff.

Pay a sum of money to buy essential furniture (not white goods) I've normally recieved up to £1.5k non-taxable.

Pay for a hotel / B&B until you find accomodation (six weeks is reasonable)

Any other out-of-pocket expenses.

Hope this helps

Nik
Old 07 January 2003, 12:35 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

When I was due to relocate for a job, Philips offered me up to 5k to relocate. (Most of this was because I was a home owner and would end up with estate agents fees and solicitors etc...) This seemed like a very good offer at the time - especially for a graduate moving to Southampton.

I was made redundant 2 weeks before the start date, but they still payed the relocation expenses I had up to that point (solicitors fees etc on the house sale)

London is EXPENSIVE. I'm pleased I left now. It's worth spending some time before you start work looking for accomodation. Philips were prepaired to pay for me to spend time house hunting in Southampton (a week before I started work in a hotel IIRC, and then 5 weeks while house buying things happened...) It all came out of the 5k though.
Old 07 January 2003, 12:40 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was offered relocation for this job I'm working now. From Bedford to Redditch. It was £8K or 6 months, which ever was sooner, all B&B / hotel costs paid up to £35 per night plus evening meal, removal costs paid for, estate agents fees (if I was buying), they paid for the solicitor's fees to sell my house and rent of £450 per month until the 6 months was up.

A very good deal, I thought. I was also offered 8 visits of myself and A N Other plus B&B overnight stay for looking about plus evening meal of up to £15 per night per person and travel expenses for these 8 visits.
Old 07 January 2003, 01:38 PM
brett555
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies people. I'll wait to see how things develop and what is offered to me etc..

thanks
brett
Old 01 July 2003, 12:17 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I did the something similar a few times recently....

Moving out from your parents house makes things a lot easier for you as you won't have that much to move. Just make sure you get proper accomodation there before you move... even if it's just renting. It can sometimes take weeks to get a rented place sorted out and you don't want a stack of hotel bills.

Just get somewhere cheap to start with.. you can always move again later if you want something better. You'll have more time to look around then and a better idea what you can get for your money.

Don't spend a lot on furniture and stuff right away.... wait until you've got somewhere a bit more permanent. Another option is to rent a place that's already furnished.

Also, make sure you have a few days to spare to get moved and get some shopping done for essentials (i.e. fridge, microwave and pizzas ).

You'll probably need a few days off to get utilities (gas/electricity/phone etc) sorted out too... mainly waiting for them to show up and do meter readings and connect things up.

Moving to a new place and starting afresh if a real buzz. After a week or so and you start to settle in... you'll love it.

Good luck

edited to add -

Last 2 times i've relocated i haven't recieved a penny for relocation costs. Depends on the state of the job market in your field.

[Edited by marty_t3 - 1/7/2003 12:21:14 PM]