Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What the f*ck is going on in the world ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2003, 07:58 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

UN admit to finding "nothing suspicious" in Iraq, yet lapdog Tony is throwing 6,000 reservists across to the Gulf.

Bush says he wants a peaceful solution, yet he's still beefing up his army.

North Korea says any sanctions against the country may be seen as an act of war.

IBM, Fullerton and another consultancy firm I know are shedding jobs by the bucket load.

WTF ?
Is this really the 21st century we all dreamed of living in ?
Old 07 January 2003, 08:04 AM
zoog
Scooby Regular

"If you wish for peace prepare for war"
Old 07 January 2003, 08:44 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Every one has gone mad....

Any one see Bremner on Sunday night...??? I may be a little wrong in my descriptions but in essence...

It was the western powers (indirectly) that put Saddam in power.

It was the western powers that sold him the arms to fight Iran (and gave him credit!!!)

It was the western powers that gave him his first weapons of mass destruction (bio & nerve agents)

Al Quaeda and Iraq are sworn enemies... The West even tried to get Bin Laden to attack Iraq AND supplied him the arms to do it!!!

I think there is a heck of a lot that we are not being told and a heck of a lot of 'hidden agenda's'...

The USA have spent 9 Trillion dollars on defence since the WWII - the economic slowdown means some powerfull people are not making enough money and starting a war could kick-start the US economy - especially in defence. Then there'e the Oil thing.... Iraq supply 11% of the world oil.... imagine the effect on USA Oil companies share prices if there was suddenly 11% LESS oil up for grabs... Prices / profits / dividends ALL go up and guess who benefits?

The Rich and powerful Oil and defence moguls (and their puppet governments)... Same thing happened in the 60's with JFK. except JFK tried to block the war with Cuba (etc) - Conspiracy theorists believe that it was the 'rich and powerful oil and defence moguls' that gone done him in!

My suggestion.... dig a big hole in your back yard and hide in it. Just because we didnt find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq (and lets face it, he had long enough to hide the damn things) doesnt mean they dont exist - one way to make him admit to having them is attack him. You can bet your pension he will show them to us all then!

Not surprising to hear on the TV last night that the US Public were shocked to hear that the UK public actually DIDNT want to support them in a war with Iraq! They only hear what they are told - I guess we probably suffer from the same!

Thus endeth the rant!
Mak.
Old 07 January 2003, 09:40 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

As Bill Hicks observed: "How do we know Iraq has weapons of mass destruction? We checked our copy of the sales invoice!"
Old 07 January 2003, 11:33 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

DR

I suspect that the inspectors will find something of interest just as soon as the troops and equipment are in place.
Old 07 January 2003, 11:35 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

We are all going to die..
Old 07 January 2003, 11:36 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Unless we find the cure for mortality, yes, we are.
Old 07 January 2003, 11:45 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Won't the UN inspectors look bloody daft if Saddam does unleash something nuclear or biological on Israel or wherever.

And won't Bush look even more stupid if he doesn't?

Old 07 January 2003, 11:52 AM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

yep!

My scooby is gonna be garaged soon, i wanna be Mad Max when the nuclear war has passed
Old 07 January 2003, 11:56 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

LOL, nice one!

Does anyone remember

Threads
When the wind blows
Z for Zacharia ?

Not that I want to depress anyone mind
Old 07 January 2003, 11:56 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I'm gonna be the Postman when this happens. Don't ever mess witht the postman..
Old 07 January 2003, 12:09 PM
mr flibble
Scooby Regular

well

It could get very messy, what with North Korea aswell.

Sad thing is my mate has to go and 'do his job' soon if bush keeps F***** around!!!
Old 07 January 2003, 12:25 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Whats more worrying this time is the Iraqis rather than fighting out in the open (and being bombed into oblivion in return for virtually zero allied casualties) are concentrating on house to house fighting in cities, where it will be impossible to separate civillians from troops.
Would this happen if young Euan Blair was eligible for call up? would it ****...
Old 07 January 2003, 01:23 PM
zero_to60
Scooby Regular

I suspect the reasoning is once SH has gone off to exile no one will want to fight??
Old 07 January 2003, 01:44 PM
Avril
Scooby Regular

Here's a funny thing:

After 9-11, airlines issued a list of items that we could not bring aboard with us on the plane. This list included guns and knives (okay fair enough), mace (okay), crochet hooks (eh?), leafblowers , and other such items. On December 22 2001, Richard Reid tried to set light to his shoes, which contained plastic explosives, with a book of matches. Would it not occur to a few of us that butane lighters and matches should also appear on the 'forbidden items' list? After all, you can't smoke at 30,000 feet so there's no need for matches and lighters up there anyway.

Well (and this is where it gets funny), lighters and matches were on the original 'forbidden' list. The list was prepared by the FAA and sent to the White House for approval, when tobacco industry lobbyists called for those items to be removed from the list. They clamed that smokers should be allowed to light up after their flight - it's unfair if they're prohibited from doing so - who cares that it's only a couple of hundred people being blasted out of the sky if future Reids have their way. The items were removed.

If that Son Of A Bush is willing to put the profits of the tobacco industry before the safety of millions of people, we shouldn't be looking to 'W' for the next move. Look to the leaders of Big Business instead.

Whoa, that was heavy.

Old 07 January 2003, 01:49 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Devils Refugee,

I just realised what you said in the first post there.

You talking about Fullarton Computer Industries in Gourock??? FCI. I used to be the Senior Engineer there until 2 years ago. I just heard from a friend that they have closed the entire factory and are planning to stop all the manufacturing in IBM greenock. It's getting moved to Hungary or China.

About 3000 jobs by my reckoning. That's pretty much the rest of Gourock and Greenock now unemployed
Old 07 January 2003, 03:05 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Red face

Aye, FCI.
Seems to me that most major manufacturers or call-centre type operations are in favour of closing shop here and punting it to another cheap country for peanuts.

Pay peanuts, you get monkeys is my thinking.......

Old 07 January 2003, 03:22 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I still can't believe they're closing FCI. That factory built more PCs in 1999 than any other factory on the planet has ever managed. We installed a 16 Million quid automated process just 2 years ago before I left.

They must be talking some seriously cheap labour abroad if they can just write off the cost of relocating all the kit and training 1000 new employees.

I just spoke to one of the guys who worked for me. He told me that they got a letter at new year telling them the factory was closing and they weren't to bother coming back to work after the holidays. He's been staff there for 7 years and he's getting 3 months redundancy money. The press are reporting the pay off as 500... it's actually 500 staff and about 500 temps.

I blame IBM. They don't give a toss who they screw over, long as their profits are up. They're talking about paying off 700 staff and a bunch of temps in their factory too.

They came in and took advantage of the shipyards closing in the area and got their cheap labour, now the workforce are skilled (and hence more expensive) they're just moving somewhere cheaper and leaving a devastated area behind them.

Cheers big blue...
Old 07 January 2003, 04:04 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Angry

.....and the Govt fudge the unemployment figures to say it's at a 20 year low etc etc
B*llocks
Old 07 January 2003, 04:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

The bit that gets me going is when the government/US government say "we have evidence that Saddam has WoMD, but we can't show it you, tell you what it is, or produce it. Just believe us. Then we can start the next war."
How can we be so stupid? And no-one else, (TV, papers etc), seems to pick up on it.[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
A very unsettled Alcazar:
Old 07 January 2003, 04:25 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

How can we be so stupid?
You'll be surprised how naive 80% of the people are here or 90% in America are. They'll believe anything the television or newspaper say. Same applies to all other countries..
Old 07 January 2003, 05:04 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Angry

Baaaaaaaa-baaaaaaaaa
I'll follow you anywhere Tony/Bush/<insert world leader here>...

Idiots.

I'm sick of the propoganda machine steamrolling over independant thought. The country is populated my mindless zombies who are unfortunately in the majority (present company accepted )
Old 07 January 2003, 05:14 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

In the past, they used religion as a propaganda tool. Now its the television and magazines..
Old 07 January 2003, 05:17 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I'm leaving the armed forces at precisely the right time - what inspired timing.

I pity the poor ******* that will inevitably get killed (from friendly fire).
Old 07 January 2003, 05:26 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

What gives the US, UK, France,Oz, China etc the right to have WoMD anyway. If its OK for them to have these weapons why not Iraq. After all what have they done to hurt the US, UK etc.

Seems to me the US always has to butt in when something happens. Unless of course the country concerned has no use or effect on them.

As for Blair, after all the bull****,lies and deceit weve had from him and his government would you really want to trust him to take us into war. I personally dont think so. Thank god Im over 40.Not that Id go anyway.

Chip.
Old 07 January 2003, 11:04 PM
shug
Scooby Regular

Blair - we stand shoulder to shoulder with the U.S.
Translation - we sit tongue to **** with the U.S.
Old 08 January 2003, 01:01 AM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing is for sure war with Iraq is nasty,but not half as nasty as doing nothing and waiting till' sad lad Hussain "accidently" gives a nuke to Al Queda so they can nuke us/usa it's a very very very complex situation but, be assured, however dangerous the actions of USA/UK may seem you can bet your $rse that the REAL(intel. svcs) people who know all the info. know what the risks are if USA/UK do nothing . International politics is a very misleading subject on the face of it,that's why unless you watch lots of news progs. one would get a very basic picture of the problems faced by the world today .
"disarming Iraq(hence Al Qaeda ,in part) by force is a risky proposition,but not half as risky as not disarming them"
We are left with little choice ,"if we want peace and freedom then we'll have to fight for it"
Sad but ultimately true if Sadlad Hussain remains uncompliant.
Old 08 January 2003, 07:59 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

"from a planet of partly evolved monkeys"

You know, that Raelian cult explanation of life on Earth doesn't sound so far-fetched when you look at the world today !
Old 08 January 2003, 11:28 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

....and just to prove my point, a 5 year old girl in Inverness was murdered by her own mother !
Mother's boyfriend and brother are also implicated !!!!!!

WTF!
Old 08 January 2003, 12:28 PM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

FTAO Matty01....

Al Quaeda and Iraq are sworn enemies. The only thing that could possibly bring them together against the west(assuming Bin Laden is prepared to ditch his religious values... which is a bit of a tall order) is if we attack them both (ie. invade Iraq)

We only have our own governments to blame...
The West created a democracy (!!!) out of Iraq and created the environment where Saddam could get into power.

'WE' (the West) armed Bin Laden AND supported him as a leader of Guerillas when the USSR invaded Afghanistan...

There is SO MUCH we dont know....

Mak.

Quick Reply: What the f*ck is going on in the world ?