Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a gee-tah!!

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2003, 06:44 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello all!

I'm seriously contemplating buying my first electric guitar and would appreciate some suggestions. I've learnt so far on a steel-strung acoustic, but after a year it's time to rock!

I want something pretty versatile - my musical tastes are wide, but I definately want something I can play jazz/blues with - as well as rock.

Budget is flexible - I don't want to have to upgrade to gig.

My background is as a bassist - I love the sound and feel of my US Fender Jazz bass played through a 4x10 Trace, but my initially gut feelings are pushing me towards a Gibson Les Paul rather than a Strat.

The amp is also a tricky situation - I'm temporarily living away from UK (and got no one to jam with - hence learning guitar as well as bass!) and already have too much kit - would it be a waste to buy a small practise amp or should I just whack it though the Trace Elliot?

I know I need to try 'em out - but it would be really handy for some suggestions of alternatives to try out and any pros/cons etc
so I don't walk into the guitar shop feeling a complete muppet.

cheers in advance!

Old 06 January 2003, 06:51 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Depends what your budget is - but I'd go for something like and Fender Tele.....

With a Line 6 pre-amp/ processor.....

Other guitars to look at are a PRS, Patrick Eggle, or something like that...

The usuals are stuff like the Les Paul, which is a great guitar, but very distinctive in its sound. Same deal for a Fender Strat or Gretsch etc.....

Other amps to look at are the Marshall (eh.... OK, I suppose..) or the Boss stuff or even Zoom (very distinctive sounding though)...

Just my 2p

Dan (not a guitarist, but worked with alot of artists who used loads of guitars - look @ my website/profile )
Old 06 January 2003, 06:56 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

cheers Dan

Really am flexible about the price - happy to pay well over a grand if I need to, but I've got no 'badge issues' so if I can get something I like for a lot less, I'll consider that too.

Old 06 January 2003, 07:19 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Fender sounds are very much related to the single coil pickups, whereas most Gibsons will use humbuckers.

Most of the "superstrats" these days will give you "both worlds". (2 humbuckers/1 single coil). Ibanez has an affordable price range for them, but I was never impressed with mine. Stretching budget a bit you should also look to the ESP range.

Guitars are of course very personal, so try them out.

As for amps, I would have a look/listen at the Rivera line. The Thirty/Twelve combo amp is amazing & very versatile. It sounds better than the other amps (Mesa Boogie MkIV, Fender Evil Twin etc) I have.

Personally I'm not too fond of the Line6 gear, but that may be a purist thing - you do get amazing sounds from them, it's just the "plastic" factor that bothers me.

Similar to Line6, the Tech21 SansAmp PSA1 (rack unit, preamp + 40-ish soundscapes, *very* recommended) should enable you to play over the Trace, and it won't break the bank, which would leave you with more money for a decent guitar.

Happy hunting

Old 06 January 2003, 07:20 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Fender Strat & Marshall Amp

More versatile than most,

I paid 90 quid for a Squire Strat Deluxe (all fender components) it is gigged at least 3 times a week, and a superb guitar, put all the genuine Fender Strat (900 quid plus) to shame, certainly out of all the ones tried

Steve
Old 06 January 2003, 10:25 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It's brilliant Jason Have been playing most of the weekend on it incidently ... very unique sound when you push the mids. Very high output from the Laces as well it seems, making it easy to get on the "verge" of distortion (with the same amp settings, the normal Strat wouldn't overdrive at all).

I think it's a keeper

Old 07 January 2003, 08:25 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Wink

Guitar...
Personally, I would go for a Strat (Mexican ones are cheaper than USA built ones) because you have a more versatile selection of sounds to play with. The Les Paul option will give you all the rock tones you could ask for but precious little else - Jazz etc are none starters on a LP really. The Strat will do 90% of what you want. It can rock like a **** or jazz like miles davis. Other reason is that when you want to move to a new guitar (having found the direction you most want to develop your skills in on your first guitar) the Fender Mex Strat will give you a better trade in value simply because it has the right name on the top of it!

Amp...
Playing electric guitar through an amp without reverb really sucks!! I am a bass player too and no way would I use my bass stack for my Fender Telecaster - it just sounds sh1te! Go buy a simple Fender, Peavey or Marshall practise amp - not the smallest and cheapest one - Im talking a 40 - 60watt jobby with twin channels, reverb and full EQ. These things are not expensive! My little Marshal amp really rocks and is only 20Watts! More than enought to practise with. Going this route would mean you could get a Fender Mex Strat and reasonable amp for around £500. You should also check out the second hand ads in magazines like 'guitarist' as bargains can be found in there.

If you want superb versatility in the amp as well as the axe, then have a look at the Line6 modelling combo amps like the Spider. Whilst more £ than a practise amp they can 'pretend' (very convincingly) to be virtually any classic amp / speaker combination in the world and they really do sound incredible! Budget on £4-500 for a new one of these babies. Alternatively, get a Line6 POD and use that in between your guitar and amp. These can be bought for around £150 second hand or £250 new.

Keep the faith and enjoy!
Mak.
Old 07 January 2003, 12:34 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Yamaha Pacifica!
Old 07 January 2003, 12:45 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Another vote for the Pacifica, great sound, great looks, very playable, dirt cheap. Try one, you won't be disappointed.
Old 07 January 2003, 01:21 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Thanks so far guys - narrowing the options down slightly..

Does anyone have any experience of the ES 335? Was suggested as a more versatile alternative to the LP...

Also, I'm a little overwhelmed by the choice of Strats on offer..

Pretty convinced if I went down the strat route I'd want a US-manufactured one - despite only playing the guitar for the last year I'm an ex-pro classical musician so don't want to waste money getting a guitar I know I'll grow out of fairly quickly.

Looking at prices last night - there's a massive variation even for the diff Strat models, is it fair to say I'm going to need to shell out around 1500 quid for something decent?

Any tips as to which Strats I should be looking at amongst the different versions? Special, classic, deluxe, hotrodded - what do I look for?

Not too fussed about cosmetic issues - I'm not a gold machine heads (or wheels ) or diamond inserts man, but want the quality bits that affect the tone.

Old 07 January 2003, 05:53 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Any tips as to which Strats I should be looking at amongst the different versions? Special, classic, deluxe, hotrodded - what do I look for?
Your ears

No seriously. And apart from playing yourself, I find it works well to let the salesweas^H^H^H man play for you so you can concentrate on tone etc.. when comparing guitars.

1.000 UKP should buy you a decent Fender, if the prices in Holland are comparable to Belgium. And if you are prepared to travel 2 hours to Belgium, I know an excellent shop where you can try them all (Fender, Gibson, Tom Anderson, Sheckter, Suhr, Paul Reed Smith (PRS)...) US Fender Strat for 1.095 EUR inv VAT... http://www.limit.be/FENDER.html
Old 07 January 2003, 05:56 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have any experience of the ES 335?
Not directly, but it should be pretty versatile. John Lee Hooker used to play an ES335 (actually it was a Hohner copy) and Ritchie Blackmore did in the early days of Deep Purple (1970/71). IMHO the ES335 stuff sounded better than the Fender stuff he did later.
Old 07 January 2003, 06:50 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Like I said in my previous post

My Squire Strat cost 90 quid, and it was a deluxe, sounds and plays 10 times better than any of the 600 quid + ones we tried, and we went to 4 guitar shops, and tried every single one

the problem with the more expensive strats is that they tend to stay on the shelf for quite a long time, and therefore necks can warp etc, intonation can be screwed

my guitar had only been in the shop for 2 days !!

absolute bargain, and an awesome sound too

you can't really go wrong with the Mex Strats either really, identical to the US ones, but much cheaper

like someone else said, its all down to the ears, and the playability , try them all, try a lot, go to different shops till you find the perfect one for you

Steve
Old 07 January 2003, 06:51 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Honestly, at least demo a Pacifica
Old 07 January 2003, 07:02 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Yeah yeah - just trying to narrow the field

You're damn right Theo, of course. Also very good point about getting the salesman play the guitar - I'm still uncomfortable sometimes playing in guitar shops, so would be good to concentrate on the sound without worrying about making a tool of myself.

Sounds like a trip across the border is in order...

Any more ideas?
Old 07 January 2003, 07:05 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

A Pacifica will be deffo on the list matey!

Do I email jlanng@yamahaguitarsales.co.uk ?
Old 07 January 2003, 07:07 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Talking

Heh heh
Old 07 January 2003, 07:16 PM
cookiemonster
Scooby Regular

I've a Paul Reed Smith Classic which i'm looking to part with for about £1050

Sounds just right for you

Old 07 January 2003, 07:29 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Talking

Isn't that a suit?
Old 07 January 2003, 09:00 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sonic, sure, everyone knows that. Squires rule. Fenders suck. Honest.

Oh how I aspire to own another Squire. I murdered my "classic" Squire by putting in some decent pickups, stupid move, but one day ... one day ...
Old 07 January 2003, 10:43 PM
shug
Scooby Regular

Parker Fly - interesting shape
some have piezo pickups - for an accoustic sound

read guitar reviews at
www.harmony-central.com
Old 08 January 2003, 09:58 AM
Makalu
Scooby Regular

Cool

The guitarists in my band have (between them...) 1 x Strat (USA Std Strat), 1 x Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1 x Parker Fly, 2 x Fender Telecasters, 1 x Takamine Electro and 1 x Taylor Electro.

They all sound awesome.

The Gibson is used in ONLY heavy numbers.
The Strat is used in All sorts (from Funk to Heavy metal)
The Telecasters are used for slide guitar (think ZZTop here), Blues (Think BBKing here), and rock n roll (Here comes Elvis!)
The Parker Fly can do ANYTHING! From acoustic sounds to Nu-Metal!
The Electro's are.... well exactly that Electro-Acoustics! (Think anyone 'unplugged'!)

Personally, I prefer less strings and more attitude so I play a Musicman Stingray, a Modulus Flea Bass and a Warwick Streamer 5 String.

Final advice - just play as many as you can... there are crap Les Pauls out there as well as crap Strats... sometimes less can be more? I also play a six string and my preferred weapon of choice is the Fender Telecaster - simple to play (nice neck), great sounds (slide rock and blues are awesome on these g'tars) and is a simple piece of kit with little to go wrong on it. And my shiny little Black 'un looks the dogs!!!
Mak.
Old 08 January 2003, 05:09 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers for that Mak!

Shortlist so far

Fender

Strat (US & Mex)
Tele

Gibson

ES 355
Les Paul (although I'm not really a heavy rock man)

Yamaha

Pacifica

Parker Fly

Old 08 February 2003, 07:02 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well - I've done it!!

Was wandering around town this afternoon, just popped into a guitar shop to try out a few..

Ended up buying a new Les Paul Standard in Wine Red - absolutely stunning. It was down to the LP and a gorgeous "'57 Vintage" strat that just hummed in my hands. Decided that I will without any doubt end up with both at some point - and the sustain and top end response of the Gibson just edged it for me. I was really suprised at how good the LP sounded 'clean' - not what I was really expecting from some of the posts in this thread. So far it seems to have the dynamic and tonal range that could make for a nice jazz instrument. And it ROCKS...

But the Strat did feel incredible!! I've got 8 days just in case I change my mind.

Any way - why I am I sat here typing when I should be playing?!
Old 08 February 2003, 08:28 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Well Done Ian

Im sure you will have endless hours of fun

I guess your sat on here using dictation software, as you've been playing that much that your finger tips are all cut