Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any ColdFusion experts out there?

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2001, 07:44 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there

in order for the CF engine to process files before "giving them back" to the webserver for handling, they need a .cfm extension.

OR you can change the filetype properties so that .htm/.html files are also pre-processed by the CF engine. Obviously this is inefficient if you have loads of sites that use .htm and are not in Coldfusion.

If an Application.cfm file is used it is read every time a request is made, so its like a common include file. The session state is handled by the <cfapplication> tag.

sounds like you are just branching out with the webserver, drop me a line offline if need be for advice.

Lee.
SIWD - UK's 15th fastest ISP
Old 06 January 2001, 12:20 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

My brother has a website that is membership based, and people can join the site online by paying by credit card. Once they have joined the idea is obviously that they can logon to the site and access pages previously restricted. (And before you ask, no it is not one of THOSE sites ).

Unfortunately, as I work in IT, I have become his IT consultant.

The guy who has set up the online ordering and logon stuff has used ColdFusion to do this, and it all works fine.

Except that he wants us to change all our .html files to .cfm files. Now although my ColdFusion knowledge is very limited, I now know that this is so the Application.cfm file is used by the ColdFusion server to examine the state of the session (I think!).

Which is all very well, but it's a pain in the **** to change all the file extensions, especially as that means the site cannot be tested locally as we don't have a ColdFusion server licence. Plus all the other files like .gif's etc are not protected.

More annoyingly, I have set up a UBB bulletin board on the site, but cannot figure out how to only allow access to registered members of the site as the URL is to a cgi script. We really need chat there too.

So my question is, is it possible to use ColdFusion and protect files other than .cfm files i.e .html, .gif, .cgi etc etc

I haven't found the answer on the net (yet), so a pointer in the rightdirection would help.

Thanks for your time

Cheers

Simon