Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Windows on a Mac G4

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2001, 12:04 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What software emulator you going to be using? Virtual PC or SoftWindows?

How data is stored could differ between the two. I know that older versions of SoftWindows would create a file, much like a disk image, and this is where all the PC stuff lived. Kind like having a virtual disk image mounted on the Mac.

Regardless, I would suggest you partition the machine, one for mac one for PC, just so you know where things are.

I am thinking about going this route as well as the kids need a machine and a PC would be best for them, but I'd like a mac, so emualation software would be the way to go.

If you are going to be doing video editing then I would strongly suggest that you do <B>NOT</B> go for a cube, but go for a G4 500mhz Dual Processor. Mainly as it is way more expanable than the cube. I know it don't look as sexy but hey it looks better than a PC

Seriously though. I'm updating our tech department and was going to go for Cube with twin 15inch flat panel displays, that is until I found that the cube has limitied expansion, and from what I can tell, only on AGP port, plus there ar very few AGP cards with the 'new' apple DVI (I think!) connector on them, so multiple monitors is a no no on a cube, and I would have thought that with it being used as a video editing system you'd want multiple monitors.

hope this is of some use to you.
Old 02 January 2001, 10:21 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Question

Anybody running windows software on a Mac?
Want to buy a G4 Cube.
Is it best to partition the hard drive and keep the PC programs seperated from the Mac?
Mainly going to be used for video editing.
I know I can run Office, which I need but what about other apps like Money etc and some kiddie orientated software?
Questions, questions and its only the 2nd!
Old 02 January 2001, 06:24 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Must agree with Markus. The cube a good but does not giver you the most bangs for the bucks but looks great. I've got a cube myself ( and an iMac, 2 PowerBooks and other assorted junk) and its good but lacks the clout if you are using it for video editing or heavy graphics. Be aware Apple redduced thier prices today at around 10am so the G4 500 Dual with DVD that was around £2429 is now around £1799.

Markus , Apple dropped the DVI connector in favour of thier new ADC connector on the last revisons to thre G4 range which means the new monitors ( also now only with ADC)only work on the new Macs and you can't even get an adapter. The current G4 line up still have the standard VGA connector. as well as the ADC connector.

If any of you need any help feel free to email me as I'm the sales manager at MacWarehouse and look after fellow Scooby owners. My work email is baymana@eu.mwhse.com

If I was you I'd wait for a few days as there is a keynote speech from Apple around the 9th when we should see some product announcments which might be of interest .

Oh Marcus hope to have some business for you guys soon for Mac Administrator, 300 users.

See ya

AllanB

Old 03 January 2001, 09:55 AM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Markus/Allan

Thanks very much for the info/advice.
I looked into getting the G4/500 using the flat screen monitor to maintain the eye candy effect and having another 30gig hard disc installed for the windows side of things.
Will OS-9 be upgradeable to OS-X?
For newcomers to Macs is it not better to get an OS-X machine at the onset???
Allan, I will definitely be contacting you when the time to buy is upon me.
Old 03 January 2001, 09:55 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

AllanB:
Doh! DVI, ADC, why don't they stop buggering about with thier video connections. Thought I'd got it round the wrong way. grrr.

oooh! cheaper G4's! yummy! I'm about to get 3 or 4 DP's and this is good news, this should make better value through the Developer purchase scheme as well.

I will wait for the keynote speech as I'm hoping that some new stuff will appear (wanna drop some hints to me! )

300 MacAdmin! nice! speak to Nicky or Peter about this, as I'm only a lowly techy and they are the sales team!
Old 03 January 2001, 11:45 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Bajie:
ahh, OS X.

Certainly for OS X server and OS X 'client' (public beta at the moment) you have to format and install from new, and won't update from mac OS 9.x (9.1 probablly by final release)

As for starting off with X. hmmm, would not recommend it. OS X client is in public beta at the moment, and I'd not trust it enough to be used for mission critical systems, and I'd say that unless the AV setup is for play only, it's mission critical. OK, so X will runn 'classic' (os 9.x) but it'll only run 9.0.x and NOT (yet) 9.1 (ignoring the fact that 9.1 is not out yet, but should be soon)

Just to put you in the picuture, I'm senior tech support for a Mac software Developer, and our main range of products (the aforementioned MacAdministrator) deals with desktop security, so we have to have a pretty good grasp on the latest OS versions. We have the beta of X client, and to be honest I cannot see anyone using it in a 'real world' situation, and I'd certainly not do so. To be honest, my new G4 will NOT have it installed on it, it'll go on my test iMac.

X looks great, but it looks totally different from Classic (9.x) OS and it's going to take some getting used to. We'll ignore the fact that if normal users find the terminal app they'll wreak major damge, hell, I tried using Net Info Manager and totally screwed things, but then I know sod all about unix.

The other X factor (sic) is that major apps ARE being ported, but as the OS is still beta, the apps that run on it cannot be finalised. So, for example Adobe Premiere may not be as stable as it should, Ok you can run it in classic mode, but then why not just use Mac OS 9.x?

I'm still unsure as to what will happen when (if? ) X client is released. Most of our current user base is education, where money is really tight, and they need systems that won't fall over at the slightest knock, so I doubt they'd put X all over the shop, but you never can tell.

Oh, these are my PERSONAL opinions and not that of My employer, just thought I'd say that.
Old 03 January 2001, 09:58 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Not too sure what Apple have in store but if you want to see the info asap check the US Apple store site as its likely to be there very soon. I'd be very suprised if there are not new PowerBooks based on the G4 processors. Not sure if the casing design is going to be modified or if its just an internal upgrade. Expect to see some speed bumps on the G4 range, not sure of the top whack speeds .

I'm also in agreement with marcus re the OS X client. I'd make damn sure I had an OS 9 machine as I think Apple will be pushing OS X client too early on in its life to ensure a good level of compatability and stability from to software vendors. The new OS will be radically different not just in appearance but also in how it works and apps will need major rewrites from what I understand to work correclty and get the most from the OS X client. Don't get the OS X cleint confused with the OSX server operating system. Why on earth call the 2 products the same thing ?makes my job a nightmare !!

Marcus do you have any direct dealings with Apple, if so who do you know there ? Next time we have one of our showcases I'll get you chaps an invite.

I'll try and post up more info as and when I can get it but Apple are watertight these days and very little info gets out !! I have been assured by my account manager at Apple that I would be insane not to buy Apple shares before the announcement .

We'll see.

AllanB