Annoying PC bug - question for techies

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2000, 11:08 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

A question for all you IT people out there:

The image on my monitor keeps changing size when I reboot. Sometimes its the right size, the next time its too big for the monitor and has to be adjusted manually. It all started when I downloaded the upgraded Windows Media Player 7 from MS. The download itself took 45 mins (11 Mb I think) and at the end of the download process the PC hung. I reset the PC and ran the setup program. Since then my PC never been the same. I have uninstalled Player 7 to no avail.

I know that if run Fdisk and start from scratch that I'll sort it out but having done this only a few weeks ago, setting it all up again takes ages.

An updated graphics card driver was installed from the ATI site at the last full setup (before the problem started).

Any quick fixes?

D.
Old 16 December 2000, 11:01 AM
miksmi
Scooby Regular

With Microsoft, no fix is a quick one Here's what usually works for me (Win95/98 and Win2K, not sure what you're using): 1. change to VGA 2. reboot 3. re-install new video driver 4. reboot. The reason for this nonsense is that Windows hangs on to vestiges of old video adapters. I.e., installing a new driver over old leaves feculent relics of the old driver, sometimes confusing Windoze. By first changing to VGA, you in a sense remove the coprolite and start "fresh"

1. In Control Panel, Display, set the display adapter to the plain vanilla VGA (640x480) Microsoft driver that comes with Windows (it's already on your disk). At this point the screen becomes very small (much less screen real estate than higher resolutions) and the dialogs (windows) no longer fit on your display. Keyboard shortcuts are your friend. Use <alt><space>M to enter "move the dialog around" mode, then the cursor keys to position the dialog around until you can see the button that's off the edge of the display, and <enter> to exit moving around mode.
2. Reboot
3. Re-install new video driver
4. Reboot

Also, try other versions (perhaps older) versions of the driver (there might be one on Windows CD). As a last resort I would uninstall WMP 7 and repeat the process.

Here are some Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that might help:

Old 16 December 2000, 01:24 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

I'm glad you mentioned this....having tried to download it twice myself, and my DUN timing out twice, I shan't bother!!
Cheers
Old 16 December 2000, 10:38 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Miksmi

Thanks for the advice.
I've reverted to the old Win 98 SE display driver. Now I remember why I changed to the updated ATI driver (and this did fix the previous problem). On one of the screens (ntlworld screen during dial up) the colours are all wrong - strange since the colours are ok otherwise and changing to 16 bit, 32 bit, etc makes no difference.
Anyway, not a big problem but I do like things to work correctly.

D.
Old 17 December 2000, 01:04 PM
miksmi
Scooby Regular

D, you're welcome. I hear you, I like things to work correctly too. Little buggers like that can be quite annoying. Glad things are at least "different" (not necessarily fixed but different behavior than before).

..Mike Smith
Old 18 December 2000, 12:10 AM
Berkeley
Scooby Newbie

Talking

If your Internet connection times out and disconnects you during a download you need
Old 18 December 2000, 11:08 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Why download WMP7, it's free on the cover disk of nearly every magazine, and OK you pay £4.99 but it installs in about 3 minutes. Plus you never know, there might be some other goodies on a cover CD you can use like game demos etc.

MS do say that WMP7 should not be used with NT4 or W95, only W98. Is that your problem?
Old 18 December 2000, 11:11 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Why not? He's got ntlworld with 0800 access.
Old 18 December 2000, 11:17 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah, and a fat lot of good it did him!
Old 18 December 2000, 01:36 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Prefer gozilla myself

download from