Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Annoying PS2 sales

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2000, 02:43 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

This is getting so frustrating. While my colleagues and I are wating patiently for a unit that was promised to arrive nearly a month ago, all I see around me are people who are trying to make a pathetically small profit out of selling theirs.

If they didnt want them in the first place, why the hell they order them for?

Cem
Old 12 December 2000, 02:51 PM
AWD
Scooby Regular

There's always someone trying to make a fast buck...

.. and with Christmas almost here it is an ideal time for these opportunists.
Old 12 December 2000, 03:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Here Here
Old 12 December 2000, 03:10 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

See my response to Shaun's post
Old 12 December 2000, 03:20 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Of cause it has nothing AT ALL to do with the fact, that other people have the choice to sell theres!!!!!

When I bought my JAP PS2, it cost me £700.00. I wanted one, so I paid the price! Nobody forced me, as nobody is forcing ANYBODY.

If PS2's sell for whatever price, they sell! If they dont, they wont!!!!!!

I dont see what all the fuss is about! Would you be so peaved, if you already had one......I think we all know the answer to that!!!!!!

Shaun.

[This message has been edited by Shaun (edited 12 December 2000).]
Old 12 December 2000, 03:48 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Blowdog

You are more than welcome to come and see my PS2 in action.
Did you pre-order though. Not a dig but most of the guys I know you did are now getting their units.
Just remember, when you get the foolish machine all this will be forgotten.
Old 12 December 2000, 05:31 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Shaun,
Genuine gamers like myself have ordered the machine (in early october) with genuine intentions to play games on the machine, not to make a quick 50 quid from a sale to a desperate rich father. If I had the unit, I wouldnt be moaning, but I havent got the unit and thats exactly the reason I am upset by it. Whilst Sony are performing what is possibly the **** up of the century, people like me are patiently twiddling our thumbs and watching available units go for £500.

You paid £700 for your unit, you were obviously keen to secure your unit, so you should understand how we feel when units that were promised over 2 months ago have failed to arrive while many people have turned to greed by conning the odd desperado.

Cem
not bitter
Old 12 December 2000, 05:44 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Smile

After having thought about what Ian said

<B> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Just remember, when you get the foolish machine all this will be forgotten.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE></B>

I have to say that I shouldnt be angry at the capitalists, but at Sony for screwing their loyal supporters up the ringer.
Cem
Old 12 December 2000, 05:50 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

50 quid, sod that, i want at least 200 extra for mine
Old 12 December 2000, 07:54 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

genuine gamers ordered theirs on the 7th of september thus getting one on 24th of november
Old 12 December 2000, 08:04 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Red face

Alls fair in the evil world of capitalism and all that. I had a look on ebay and they are not making much on the original price. I'm only looking in ebay.co.de but they are going for 900-1000DM which is 280-300 quid so if they originally didn't want them then they may end up with hassle for no or little gain. some loser put one on yahoo or ebay for 70000DM which is about 20K quid, surprizingly no bids.

Cammy
Old 12 December 2000, 09:34 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Scott,
Your point?
Cem
Old 12 December 2000, 10:02 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Cem
For what i can gather, the people who did'nt get a PS2 are the ones that did'nt get their order in early enough. The order books opened for deposits on the 7th September and each shop had about 100 to sell, so anyone getting their order in much later than that date probaly would'nt get one.

I know of some people who dithered about getting one and ordered theirs late(some shops were saying 'PS2 still available before xmas if you ordered before end of October) ,but it looks as if the shops have'nt had anymore to sell before xmas.

So what im saying if you knew the date to order and did'nt dither you should have got a PS2

Scott

Old 12 December 2000, 10:27 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Most people arent "dedicated gamers"......but that doesnt stop them wanting a PS2 any less, i certainly didnt know of the date and i am sure most people also wouldnt have been expected to be penalised for not ordering on the first possible day - some people do have other things to do. Still, isnt hindsight a wonderful thing...........
Old 12 December 2000, 10:31 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Cem

I know what you mean but i must admit if someone offered me the right price i'd part company with mine, not because im being opportunistic but because i would be stupid not to.

Si
Ps Mines not up for sale anywhere though either
Old 12 December 2000, 10:43 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Agree with Cem. I have one and count myself lucky. I've no interest in doing cheap profiteering and mine's staying where it is - connected to my TV, multi-tap and 5 controllers for playing lots of Footie and Tekken Tag multi-player games!

Richard

&lt;rapidly making enemies of people selling PS2's....&gt;
Old 12 December 2000, 11:26 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Scott,
You havent read my previous posts. I placed my order with intention of receiving it on 24th Nov. This was <B>guaranteed</B> by the store. Whether or not I got in there on time is irrelevant. I want one for the right reasons and the profiteering frankly takes the p1ss out of sony. I know people that have sourced up to <I>5 UK units!!</I> all for selling on for a nice tidy profit of £3.50. How the hell did they manage to get that many.

You say each shop had 100 to sell, I know Vigin Oxford Street had 800 orders, all that were guaranteed for a Nov 24th delivery.

I am a keen gamer, but I am not a saddo who is willing to queue up for a unit by camping the night before. Nor am I, from principle, willing to fork out any more than list price for a unit. Those are extremes.
Cem

Old 12 December 2000, 11:29 PM
EIL132
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't rate PS2.Dreamcast defo better.Just my opinion.

Old 13 December 2000, 12:38 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have to say that you have all made some very valid points and that I have to agree with the lot of you.

Shaun,
It seems though Sony have performed a bit of 'pillow-biting' with their loyal fan base, regardless of the software support at release, people still trust Sony to come up with the goods. Unfortunately those fans have been shafted good and proper. Wouldn't it be great if everyone boycotted Sony and nobody bought a unit until they were ready for the public? I have heard from many sources that many of the units are actually faulty and need replacing already. That sucks.

David,
So it seems that way. There is a real shortage of decent games at the moment and it does appear that the DC has the upper hand, I wont deny that I have considered that machine, especially seeing how cheap it is .
I also have had almost every console on the market, only one I never bought was the DC, only becasue of the poor support at launch (but that never stopped me buying a 3DO, although Need for Speed had a part to play in that). But I prefer to make careful decisions these days, prefering to spend money on PC upgrades rather than gamble on an 'OK' console. As you say, roll on GT3 and Getaway and that kick **** rally game featured in Edge mag.

AWD,
Yes, I wont lie. If someone offered me a grand for my machine, I would certainly sell it. I dont think that is quite the same though.

Cem
Old 13 December 2000, 08:23 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Guys, Shaun

Have moved PS2 for sale post to "private" (which is where it should have been all along - and where all such "for sale" posts will be moved)

Not deleted, cos this is BBS is public forum and free speach/posting must be respected, even if we don't all agree with it.

D
Old 13 December 2000, 10:37 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation

Cem,

I am also a "Hard Core" gamer, hence the reason why paid £700 in the first week of release in Japan. I knew I was being stiched up, but that was my choice.....I had to have the machine!!!!

I understand you are p1ssed about the fact that other people have there's, only to find out that they are willing to sell them. But dont you think your anger should be vented towards SONY. As you quite rightly state....this IS THE **** UP OF THE CENTURY!

Somebody else posted on the original sale thread, and made a comment about "the hundreds of dissappointed kids", thats definatley not my m8's fault......its SONYS.

Anyway you are not missing much Cem, they are cack anyhow

Shaun.
Old 13 December 2000, 11:36 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

The PS2 is a powerful machine, there's no denying.. plus it has a built in DVD player too .. which is nice.

However, the first wave of games for the PS2 are "blah" to say the least.. Ridge Racer and Tekken.. woo ! we were playing those 4 years ago on the original PSX, just at a slightly lower-res. The killer app "SSX" is no better than 1080 for the N64.

When I got my PS2, I soon invited friends round to play on it.. within 30 minutes it was gathering dust in the corner while we played MSR or F355 on the DreamCast.. or even Driver 2.

A good machine is wasted without good games..

The DreamCast was a bit of a damp squib when that was launched.. until the good games came along..

When GT3 or Getaway are released, then it'll be a killer machine (I hope).

I sympathise with Blow Dog that quick-buck-makers filled the queue for the PS2 rather than true gamers. The only comfort I can give him is that he's not missing much YET.

David Brown
a game boy..

ZX81, Electron, NES, SNES, Master System, MegaDrive, Game Gear, Lynx, Game Boy, 3DO, Playstation x 2, Dreamcast x 2, N64 x 2, PS2.. I've had them all !
Old 13 December 2000, 11:43 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

Admittedly if someone offered me £1000 for a £300 machine I'd quite happily sell it and wait another 4 months to get a replacement.

I like games, but not that much. I can amuse myself with DVDs until then...
Old 13 December 2000, 01:56 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

People will never boycott, their is no collective strength amongst game playing morons or the rest of society. Poor truckers boycott the fuel pumps and instead of aiding them, joe public just go and buy all the fuel they can now to see themselves allright!

Cem, buy mine for 900 notes and then if you dont like it you can sell it for 1k

Lovely

Sunil

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 13 December 2000).]
Old 14 December 2000, 05:33 PM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

DavidBrown:

Not quite all mate! , where's the Atari 2600 , Atari Lynx and Dragon 32 ?

OK, forget the last two but without the Atari 2600 you cannot be considered as a hard core gamer.

NeilR

Old 14 December 2000, 10:25 PM
Caterboy
Scooby Newbie

Blowdog,

I have seen more footage of GT3 and beleive me you will buy a PS2 just for this game.

Old 14 December 2000, 11:08 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by NeilR:
<B>DavidBrown:

Not quite all mate! , where's the Atari 2600 , Atari Lynx and Dragon 32 ?
</B>

OK, forget the last two but without the Atari 2600 you cannot be considered as a hard core gamer.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I listed the Lynx ! I programmed a Dragon 32 (and subsequently the rarer 64 + Sinclair QL.. which was a misnomer)

I didn't have an Atari, because my parents couldn't afford one

However.. I do have the emulator now
Old 15 December 2000, 08:51 AM
CFin
Scooby Newbie

Cem

I will lend you my Gameboy for now - see you on saturday

Simon
Old 15 December 2000, 12:08 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Ahh, but can you program lara Croft on to your kettle?
Pah, thought so!

Caterboy....word has it, GT3 will be realeased early next year.

Cem
Old 15 December 2000, 01:55 PM
NeilR
Scooby Regular

Yeah, i have the Atari 2600 emulator.

Got about a squillion roms. My favorite is still 'Adventure' Played on level 3 of course..... and Superman, brilliant.

Got SNES and Megadrive emulators as well. Excellent RPG's on the SNES

NeilR

Quick Reply: Annoying PS2 sales