Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

computer help

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2000, 11:16 AM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi i recently sold my dad my computer a P3 533mhz with intel 820 cc mother board and ibm hard drive etc etc, the only bits that have been changed from the original set up when i had it are i kept my own memory 128mb@133htz and drives and have fitted his scsi reader(plextor) and writer (yamaha4216) and adaptec scsi card and two banks of PC100 64 mb. now the problem is he does a lot of photo work and letters and randomly a error message comes up saying (CANNOT WRITE TO DRIVE C(hard disc)and press any key to continue) which it does'nt,and then locks up. the only way to carry on is reset or restart and continue till it does it again.
if any one can help please do as it is above me..ps i did reformat after the changes and he is using windows millenium,and also i belive the mother board can use pc100 or pc133 ram..thanks poeple
Old 25 November 2000, 01:58 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Windoze ME is probably to blame. Of all of the people I know who have had the misfortune to use it they have reverted back to 98/NT/whatever very quickly.

ME is basically bug central!
Old 25 November 2000, 04:53 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

HDD could be full. Doing alot of photo work can fill up a drive v quickly. Could be that there is a fault on the drive and the S/W keeps trying to write to the faulty bit. Formatting should have mapped out the faulty bit, but it is still a possibilty.

Could be a bug in the Photo S/W.

I would put my money on the drive being full. Windows and Photo S/W doesn't clear it's temporary files away like they should.

I have done a few high res scans of Photos, some of which were close to 500MB each .

P.
Old 25 November 2000, 09:22 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

I get this quite a often - basically haven't had time to fit my new HDD & re-install windows

Reasonably full HDD + it has a few bad sectors (tried Scandisk? ). Time to change HDD...

(Norton Utilities bombed on install cos of this!)
Old 26 November 2000, 11:21 AM
ChrisB

My initial thoughts would be hard drive as well. However.....

The Intel 820 chipset was designed to run RAMBUS rather than SD-RAM (PC100 or PC133) at launch.

Intel fudged a solution using a Memory Translator Hub (MTH) that allowed motherboard designers to use cheaper SDRAM.

After lots of trouble, Intel owned up that the MTH was crap and canned SDRAM support on the 820 chipset.

See
Old 27 November 2000, 01:28 PM
ROBERT BARNES
Scooby Regular

Hi Rob here thanks for the info just to add to your comments the hard drive is 13.0gb and is only 1.1gb full so only just 10% used and its only 8 months old a ibm 7200rpm drive, but the supplier of the system has gone bust so no way or warranty replacement or is there??. Chris any way of checking out this in a easy way as i am not the best when it comes to computers, as for the scan disc the through search never finds any problems at all and ive tried it at least 5 times still to no avail.it appears more when you get a bit click happy with the mouse?....