Receiving a Caution from a Police Officer

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2000, 10:50 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just a quick one......

A mate thinks he was cautioned/warned about speeding back in 1995, but didn't receive any paperwork about it, i.e. they gave him a ticking off and let him go.

He now has to apply for DV security clearance and is unsure what to put on the form where it asks about 'Cautions'.

If he was formally cautioned/warned then presumably this will be on the PNC, which will no doubt be checked as part of the DV process.

If, however, it was just a 'Keep your speed down' message from the officer at the time, then perhaps it won't be recorded.

Anyone able to offer guidance?

Cheers,

C
Old 15 November 2000, 11:01 PM
PingTime
Scooby Newbie

Smile

i recieved a caution when i was 18, and it entailed going to the police station, sitting in front of the cheif inspector, getting a bollocking off him, having to agree to never do anything like it ever again, then eventually ( when he was convinced i ment it)....signing a form to accept the caution.

i don`t think your m8 has a problem t.b.h.

P.T.
Old 16 November 2000, 12:19 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Hmm.

Not heard of DV before?

Military vetting usually (?) consists of either NV (Normal Vetting), or PV (Positive Vetting).

I had to be PV'd to allow me to handle Top Secret or above information (in the TA).

<I>Unless it's changed recently, or there are different levels for civillian contractors???</I>

Mike.
Old 16 November 2000, 10:10 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

An 'Official' Police caution would have meant a trip to the Police Station and a formal warning being given (by an Inspector or above).

He would have been in no doubt that it was recorded and official warning, it would have gone on his local file but would not be recorded on PNC as a criminal record.

If it didn't happen the same or very similar to that, all he had was a bollocking.

(DV?)

Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Tuckwood (edited 16 November 2000).]
Old 16 November 2000, 10:29 AM
ca
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks, Guys, for very helpful comments. I'll pass them on.

DV is, allegedly, a very high level of security clearance which allows people to work at MOD sites and in other sensitive areas.

C
Old 16 November 2000, 10:34 AM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

Cool

ca,

A bollocking at the side of the road wouldn't affect DV clearance as MT has quite rightly stated, there is no record of it on the PNC or anywhere else.

However, your friend should expect the contents of his bins to be inspected at fairly regular intervals!!

Simes,

Still goes on I'm afraid

Old 16 November 2000, 12:20 PM
simes
Scooby Regular

Believe it or not, I got an official caution when I was 16 for not displaying an L plate on my moped (the back one had fallen off, still had one on the front).

Whole thing was a complete farce, my mother had to be there and her body language exuded "what a complete waste of time", and you could tell the copper, who was quite senior, and really should have been doing better things, obviously agreed.

Ridiculous.

I hope they still don't do this.
Old 17 November 2000, 10:41 AM
JohnS

I've never heard of DV before, but have been through the more stringent of the two PV processes!

Luckily I had never been to any of the specified countries on the list, as you got a much longer grilling (one chap was 3 days + because of a one day stop off in Moscow during the 80s en-route to somewhere in the far-east!!!).
Old 17 November 2000, 11:26 AM
ca
Scooby Regular

I think the civilian-type clearance is SC and DV, and I believe DV is some sort of positive vetting as opposed to SC which I believe is negative vetting.

Might be barking completely up the wrong tree, though...

C