Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any property dealers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2002, 05:38 PM
STi 8
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

If so, how much would an acre of land be worth on the edge of a housing estate in the West Country where planning permission would be no problem?

Just after an idea really.
Old 19 December 2002, 07:56 PM
rich1231
Scooby Regular

"Planning permission would be no problem"

mmmmmmm the words "planning permission" should never be used in the same sentence as "no problem"
Old 19 December 2002, 09:16 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be worth lots, or nowt!
Could also be that the housing estate is right on the limit of the building line, so therefore although in twenty years you might be able to build on it, at the moment you might not be able to!
Even a field is worth 3 (ish grand an acre, but if there's a chance of building then times that by a LOT!
Old 19 December 2002, 09:46 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

mmmmmmm the words "planning permission" should never be used in the same sentence as "no problem"
Never a truer word said. Basically, it's one of 3 things:
  • if it's an acre without planning permission, and permission looks like it'll be easy, then planning will actually be bloody impossible, but the land'll be worth about 30-40k.
  • if it's an acre without planning permission, and permission looks like it'll difficult, then planning will never happen, and the land'll be worth about 5p (unless you've got a goat which needs grazing).
  • if it's an acre with planning permission, it'll be worth 750k, and you should be considering which Sunseeker you want to buy instead of asking dumb questions on a BBS like this.
Old 19 December 2002, 11:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

Oh dear! It sucks that that is what the general public think of the planning profession. We may seem to make things difficult sometime but its because we have to follow the rules set out for us in statute. You'd never question a policeman for arresting someone for being 1% over the drink drive limit...they are just following the rules to the T.

Anyway, with regards to the land - phone your Local Planning Authority and tell them what you'd like to do with the land. Ask them if 'in principal' that is the sort of thing that would be supported by the local and structure plan for that area. They'll only be able to give you ball park advise unless you provide a fair bit of detail but it will send you in the right direction
Old 20 December 2002, 08:00 AM
STi 8
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Saxo Boy,

The planning department have already been spoken to and are as positive about its development opportunities as they can be without an application being submitted.

I was just after a ballpark figure to see if the circling developers were talking in the right ballpark or not. It seems they are a little under the mark at the moment, as I suspected.

Oh, and before MarkO gets all upset about me posting this question on a public BB, the land is owned by more than one party, so I'm not planning on retiring on it!
Old 20 December 2002, 08:01 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey, I was only joshing.
Old 20 December 2002, 09:46 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

The planning department have already been spoken to and are as positive about its development opportunities as they can be without an application being submitted.
If the planners support housing you could be on to a winner. Not sure what its like down your area but if you have an acre of land you can build houses on up near edinburgh you'll stand to make a fortune
Old 20 December 2002, 10:33 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

If I worked in the planning dept. I'd be like "No no no no no, you cannot build on that" then get a mate to go and buy it and make lots of cash.
Old 20 December 2002, 10:39 AM
Hong Kong Phooey
Scooby Regular

Are you buying or selling?
If you are buying then make your offer 'subject to planning' and don't be lulled into false security 'hoping' you will get permission, despite the planners initial views (they all say that ).
If you are selling, make the application, or, if you don't, expect an offer 'subject to planning' at a level below the price the land could make if you had got planning.

What I've just said is really one & the same....just depends on which side you're on.
Old 20 December 2002, 10:40 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If I worked in the planning dept. I'd be like "No no no no no, you cannot build on that" then get a mate to go and buy it and make lots of cash.
Only flaw is that a) that's illegal, and b) planning officers don't have the last word on the decision - if it's a big development it may go to the councillors who usually ignore the planning officers' recommendations and just go by their own uninformed opinions.
Old 20 December 2002, 10:50 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

own uninformed opinions
Their opinions can be very well informed. They've been told by the developers that it might work out right for them. You only have to read any copy of private eye to see how easy this is opened up to corruption...

Cynical today, aren't I?
Old 20 December 2002, 10:54 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Their opinions can be very well informed. They've been told by the developers that it might work out right for them. You only have to read any copy of private eye to see how easy this is opened up to corruption...
All true. Having worked on a campaign group to try and stop a village green being built on (in order to fund a school which the govt should have paid for anyway) I've been through this. Planning officers at the borough and county council both recommended against the development, and over 50% of the village signed a petition against it, but the councillors ignored all that and agreed it. <sigh>
Old 20 December 2002, 10:55 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

9 time out of 10, if not more the councillors go with whatever recommendation we make. I've only worked in the one planning department but I'm amazed at how 100% above board and fair things are. The same rules are applied to everyone and there are no dodgy dealing, backhanders, mis-information, etc...unlike them building control boys We even get some of the local (regualar) architects bring in a bottle of scotch or choccies as a show of goodwill at Christmas but we have to decline to be one the safe side. Sad really
Old 20 December 2002, 11:03 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

same rules are applied to everyone and there are no dodgy dealing, backhanders, mis-information,
Erm, I beg to differ, actually. Can't go into details, but this has happened IME.
Old 20 December 2002, 11:07 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

As I said I've only worked in one planning department. I don't know of anybody that's like that but there must be dodgers out there. It would impossible to do anything like that for a large development as there are so many other council officials and coucillors involved there just isn't the opportunity to do anything dodgy.
Old 20 December 2002, 03:05 PM
STi 8
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Sorry to drag you all back to the topic, but

<rubs hands>

any advances on £750,000 an acre?

<hand rubbing mode off>

Old 20 December 2002, 03:35 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Red face

One or two incidents does not make it the rule.

My Dad's both a parish(small town) and disrict councillor. He's chair of the parish planning committe and on the district planning as well.

He spends an awful lot of time looking at applications and answering bloody stupid questions from people who havent been bothered to find out the correct information first. :angry:

I epect the thread will die now as Mark is on the plane back to the wild north, so I wont get too worked up until the new year...

Deano