History Question

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2002, 10:50 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just been siting through Pearl Harbour [well dozing really]

Why did the Jap's attack Pearl Harbour

Was there a dispute re the Hawaian Islands?

Did they just not like the Yanks?

Were they with the Germans?

Never really thought about the Japs' involvement before

Phil
Old 18 December 2002, 10:58 PM
ChrisB

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/fareast.htm has a few ideas about why they attacked.
Old 18 December 2002, 11:01 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Smile

I knew Scoobynet would not let me down

Cheers Chris
Old 18 December 2002, 11:26 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

They were bored.

Was there a dispute re the Hawaian Islands?

Yes, it was a pineapple thing. No-one has ever fully understood it.

Did they just not like the Yanks?

Probably. Even though it may be difficult to believe, there are people who dislike loud-mouthed, over-exaggerating, over-bearing americans who want to goosestep the world into their way of thinking, adopting american "values", shoving "mom's apple pie" down the throats of nations, and "correcting" the way the rest of the world think.

Were they with the Germans?

No. They were with the japanese.

Never really thought about the Japs' involvement before

Neither had the americans.
Old 18 December 2002, 11:28 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Thanks for that
Old 18 December 2002, 11:37 PM
Crush
Scooby Regular

Good answer! LOL
Old 18 December 2002, 11:37 PM
hotsam
Scooby Regular

Basically, because the US stopped exporting oil to them.
Old 19 December 2002, 12:00 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

From the earlier link....

I got to reading about Hiroshima. I am fully aware of the loss of human life but on the site is a claimed eye witness account of the aftermath of the bomb. It really hits home how horrific a weapon the atomic bomb "little boy" dropped was.

"The bridge was half-destroyed, and hung in flames into the river. So I ran to the iron railway bridge, a hundred yards downstream. The wooden sleepers were burning there too, but I ran along the red-hot metal rails. On the far side crowds of maddened people were running like demented lemmings, trying to get across the river. They were screaming and it sounded like one enormous voice. In the middle of the bridge lay four or five bodies, unrecognisable as human beings, but still moving. Their skin hung form them like strands of dark seaweed ! Instead of noses, holes ! Their ears and hands were so swollen as to be shapeless. One of them falls off the bridge ! Now another ! And then one after the other they tumble into the river, helplessly exhausted. They drowned and made no attempt to save themselves. But there were still 50 or 60 clinging to the red-hot rails. In their terror of dying, they clawed their way over one another, their eyes hanging from their sockets, pushing one another into the river, and screaming all the time.

Somehow I got over the railway bridge, but on the far back there were mountains of corpses blocking the way forward. These people must have been chased by the roaring tongues of flames that caught them here. They were still burning. I thought that they were all dead, but now they began to whimper. A woman was calling for her husband. A mother for her child. And the flames sprang to life again and gripped them pitilessly. My own eyebrows were singed, my face and hands burning. My only thought was that I must get out of here, somehow, anyhow. I must fight my way through the corpses. I pushed them aside, pulling on a head to clear a passage. This contact with my hands was loathsome. The skin on my face stuck to my palms. Beneath this skin was something yellowish. I was trembling all over and dropped a dead man’s head, tried to push his hand away in order that I might get through…..and that hand was nothing but bones beneath charred flesh, and the skin off his face still stuck to me.

I climbed on top of a pile of corpses. Layer upon layer of them. Some were still moving. I had to get over them. I can still hear the cracking of bones. An open water tank. I buried my face in it. The water was boiling hot. I began to feel faint. And thirst. Such thirst. I was covered in blood and bits of strangers’ skin. My throat was so parched that I could barely utter a sound. When I tried to shout it was as though a thousand needles were being driven into an open wound."
Old 19 December 2002, 12:12 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Scary