Seychells Questions

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2002, 10:44 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

evenin all.

Seeing as it's cold, grey, and miserable here, I'm thinking of a nice warm holiday for my girlfriend and me, and the seychelles popped up as an idea!

Soooo, Anyone been? If so then where? When did you go? Did you like it? Who did you book with? Would you go again? When's the best time to go? How much did you pay?

I've done a very basic google search and came up with this:
http://www.seychelles-travel.co.uk/

So, some opinions from anyone who's gone would be great. Thanks.
Old 13 December 2002, 10:52 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Cool

We went to Mahe for a weeks honeymoon after getting married in Mauritius(8 years ago). Booked via BA holidays, stayed at Fishermans cove. Spent a day and night at Bird Island which was fantastic. Nice place , really warm sea. Hotel was nowhere near as good as St Geran where we stayed in Maritius, some much better hotels now I've heard.

Regards
Cammy
Old 13 December 2002, 10:58 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Thanks! Am also looking at Maritius, Bora Bora, Maldives, and other nice lovely places.

Tell me more about Maritius please!

[Edited by Markus - 12/13/2002 10:59:08 PM]
Old 13 December 2002, 11:47 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Mauritius, been loads of times, well recommended. St Geran is a cut above. I've been to that hotel twice, first in 1998 and then when it re-opened in 2000 after extensive re-furbishment. You even get your own butler!!

See http://www.saintgeran.com/ for everything you need to know.

The St Geran is on the east side of the island. Plus you get a free bus to Le Touserrok, its sister hotel, about 30 mins drive to the south of the St Geran. Here is you can get a free boat ride to the Ils Aux Cerfs if watersports is your fancy.

Also highly recommended and a lot cheaper that the St Geran is the Sugar Beach on the west of the island, still a 5 star hotel mind. The west of the island in my opinion is the better side of the island. Calmer waters, beautiful sunsets, better beaches, calmer breezes.

Depends on what you want, for stunning beaches, tropical postcard scenery, go to the Seychelles. For better hotels, cuisine and still beautiful beaches and scenery, go to Mauritius.

Email me if you want some prices on these hotels. Get the cheapest deal you can get from the web/travel agents and then compare them to what I can get them for.
Old 13 December 2002, 11:47 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Markus sell seychelles on the seashore

sooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry I could not resist it.

Its reported to be very very nice, my cousin has just come back from kenya, said its very empty, very quiet [bombs & missiles did not help] with good weather & good service, food etc, bet you could get a good deal
Old 14 December 2002, 10:02 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

pmsl @ Stuart! Nice one! lol

Kenya? hmm, missle dodging? interesting! would keep me fit!

Thanks for the advice chaps, much appreciated.
Old 14 December 2002, 02:10 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

When we were at the St Geran there were quite a few famous punters staying, the first week we were there a bloke from Manchester got married and Bobby Charlton went to his reception...as he was a Man U fan, just walked up and asked him. Bobby says no probs, delighted....
Service was magnificent and food great. Watersports were free as was fishing in the bay. Tennis courts and Golf Course, take plenty of golf ***** as there is loads of water....I struggled and back then I was off 13.
Belle Mare Plage nearby had a better Golf course but hotel not as nice. They played the Johniie Walker open a couple of times. Beach beds are miles apart and a wee bloke cruises round getting the drinks in for you. Best hotel I've stayed in outside of the UK. BTW its not a cheap hiliday, we saved up for 18 months for 2 weeks at St Geran and a week in Seychelles, we flew Clubclass , upstairs in BA Jumbo...mmmmmmmm

Cheers
Cammy

PS Diving school in the Hotel was great, even my wife did 2 open water dives and she doesn't like getting her face wet

Old 14 December 2002, 04:34 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hi M,
Spent 3 weeks there years ago when we had had a bad year. Stunning. Repeat stunning. Now we've got kids I think we would split time with half in Kenya or surrounds on animal safari and then rest in Seychelles where you should do some island hopping. Agree with Bird Island comments. Oh and take a decent camera. Send me a card if you go. Look up coco de mer (spelling?) on net - an interesting tree!!!!!!!!! David
Old 14 December 2002, 05:44 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Did the Seychelles with the missus bout 7 years ago and would definitely go back. Spent the first week on Mahé and the second one on Praslin. Brilliant holiday if you really want to get away from it all - really quiet and peaceful. We stayed in Mahé in the hotel made famous by Hemmingway...I wouldn't recommend that hotel as it was full of really old folks...a bit like god's waiting room if you ask me.

Anyway, the second week was spent in a hotel where the bungalows were right on the beach. You could get up in the morning, throw on your swimming trucks walk outside and dive in the sea.

If you are on Praslin, rent a jeep and head off to a beach which is supposed to be the best beach in the world. I can't remember the name of it but you have to go up this dodgy road over a couple of small hills to get to it. It lives up to it's description.

Go deep sea fishing - you'll be accompanied by flying fish and dolphins and you can catch swordfish which you will then eat back at the hotel.

Food...you'd better like fish/seafood as everything else has to be imported and starts to cost a bit. Tuna steaks done in creole sauce are excellent.

The food there is great, the people are friendly, and you'll have a terrific time. As someone said, pack a good camera (get a wide-angle lens if you haven't already) and get ready for some fantastic sunsets.

Some of my pics from the Seychelles...

See what I mean about sunsets?

and the obligatory palm tree shot...

Edited to say I have no connection with the Seychelles Tourist Board

[Edited by STi-Frenchie - 12/14/2002 5:48:58 PM]
Old 15 December 2002, 12:15 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nice piccies Frenchie. Brought some memories back. I remember taking a direct shot of sun through a tall palm tree at 1/1000 sec exposure. Fantastic result - and the sunsets! Markus go for it. Hope beach shots didn't look too crowded??

spilling edit

[Edited by David Lock - 12/15/2002 12:16:54 AM]
Old 15 December 2002, 12:49 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

droooool! Lovely pics.
Even more appealing as it's still cold wet and grey outside