Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any skiers out there ?

Search this Thread

Old 06 September 2000, 08:15 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Since we are looking for football fans and golfers here's something for those of us that hate both sports !
Old 06 September 2000, 10:07 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yes, big style!

Greg
Old 06 September 2000, 10:10 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Have been a couple of times. I need to get out there / anywhere again soon. Looking at Canada for next year. Need to get some of the guys from work to come along for a major skiing/drinking session.....

Dan
Old 06 September 2000, 11:42 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lived in Switzerland for 7 years so know a thing or two. Always went to Austria for the longer trips, though: better infrastructure, apres-ski and VFM.

Suresh
(A Charton Fan - just to link things together nicely )
Old 07 September 2000, 01:33 AM
Matt Porritt
Scooby Regular

Left school about 5 years ago and became a 'Ski Bum'.
Just toured the country during the winter snow boarding and then surfing during the summer..

Man.. I wish I could be a bum again!!
Old 07 September 2000, 01:48 PM
Airmiles
Scooby Regular

Oh yes...now rather bitten by the off-piste bug, and * hoping * to get a sabbatical from work and spend Jan-March in the Alps & Dolomites this season

Scooby meet in Chamonix /St Anton, anyone?

Should you can go to bars and avoid "Why I'd manage England better than Kevin" chat, if nothing else ;-)

(Have I offended anyone? Good!)
Old 07 September 2000, 02:07 PM
Carolyn T-S
Scooby Regular

Now you're talking, what could be better than sun, snow, skiing and Scooby. Life just doesn't get any better than this. Will be taking a blast down to the Alps this season, anyone recommend some good roads en route to Switzerland ?
Old 07 September 2000, 05:54 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

It's high time I dug out my Ski-Boots and hit the slopes. I've not been able to go for four years due to College commitments, but now that is all finished I can't wait!

I find Austria easier to drive to than most places, plus:
1)It keeps you out of France!(so no Tolls & no blockades, especially if you go via a Dutch/Belgian port)
2)Reasonably priced
3)Very Brit Freindly
4)gives you a good blast along the Autobahns
5)the option of a night in Munich (which is not to be missed), 'Ein Gross Lowenbrau bitte'.
6)Drop off the end of the motorway and you are within about 20k's of most resorts

Can't wait to take the Scooby!

Chris
Old 08 September 2000, 12:20 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yup! The missus and I both keen! Not sure I'd want to take my fat tyred motor up some of those roads though . Too many morons with no chains sliding about for my liking.
We've been to Val Thorens in early December last couple of years - fantastic! No big crowds and tonnes of Piste!
Got a pair of parabolic ski's last year - make turning so damn easy! Try em!
Cheers
Chuck
PS When does the Ski's vs Boards thread start?
Old 08 September 2000, 12:29 AM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

WAHAY!!!!!!!!

One of my favourite topics! You've started me off now

I was lucky enough to start skiing when I was 4 and now have the grand total of 83 weeks on snow under my belt! Lot's of hols (no boring summer ones ) before Uni and then spent 2 years in Italy as a bum! I lived in Sauze d'oulx which is the most bonkers small resort ever! Anyone been there? I worked as a bartender and ski guide plus all did on piste photos and sold deckchairs. Wasn't allowed to instruct as my UK qualifications were too lowly

I have since been back to Sauze a few times and it has always been superb. There are not many places in the Alps where your own personal mug is still hung over the bar!

As to transport, I wouldn't trust the old Italians any where near my Scoob. They were absolutely bonkers on the road going up to the resort. We had a Fiat 900 camper van called Lousianna (the two owners had both "got to know" the same girl and hence the van was named after her!) and that used to overtake Audis, Jeeps etc due to the engine being in the back!

Anyway, enough of my drivel!

Steep and deep rule!!!!!!!!!
Old 08 September 2000, 12:55 AM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Smile

Ahhhh ski-ing... my first passion (even above the scooby ) .

Didn't get anywhere last year, but I have plans for this year:

* A week at New Year in La Clusaz with friends and family (
Old 08 September 2000, 01:05 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

Mossman,

Spent my last boarding hols in Sauze d'oulx. You're right about wild - My God the place was heaving

Don't think I could have lasted longer than the two weeks I was there!

Rodeo bull indeed
Joolz
Old 08 September 2000, 01:28 PM
SeanG
Scooby Regular

Cool

I spent my last boarding holiday in Valdez, Alaska on a Heliski camp.

If you thought a Scoob had some power you should try an A-Star helicopter :-) 6 days of helilifts in chest deep untracked powder. Vazdez is not a resort (there are no lifts or pistes) it is just a town in the middle of the Chugach mountains. You get dropped off at the top of a mountain, ride or ski down and the heli picks you up at the bottom. Within 2 minutes you are getting dropped off again somewhere else. Totally brilliant!

For details of where I went see
Old 08 September 2000, 09:01 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Hey Chuckster

We were in Val Thorens last year - great skiing - right at end of season around 25 April - minus 12c one morning and skied over to Meribel ON piste on 30cm of untouched powder. Perfect!!

I'm skiing on Atomic Beta Race 10.26 Grand Slalom skis (the same as Herman Maier races on except him and the skis are just a touch better than me). Briiliant race skis, difficult to ski, work them hard and they are mega, be sloppy and you are faceplanted quicker than you can say ouch! (speaking from experience).

Shouldn't mention skiing in France due to current un PC status but it won't stop us going where we want to. Best thing is to swear at them in Italian when they cut you up on piste then they don't know they you are insulting them (unless of course it is on the Italian border and they understand - which is where the race skis come in handy!!)