Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What to do in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2002, 06:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ahhh Bad Bobs! I recognise that name! Am told it is a bit of a laff, and was going to go there last time I was 'in town' but failed to get round it.

As has been mentioned, Temple Bar is a top place.

Ditto with the friendly people comment, friendliest people I've met, and that's nothing to do with having an irish g/f either! It's in my blood due to my grandfather being irish, plus I have a few irish relatives (who I've never met!)

And there is *nothing* as sexy as a lovely irish girl and her accent, mmmmmmmm

[Edited by Markus - 12/10/2002 6:51:13 PM]
Old 12 October 2002, 07:07 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Is it just me or do you think that we could substitute Czech, Nigerian, Japanese,French,asleep,etc,etc for Irish girl in Markus' post above and his sentiments wouldn't change?

Your Shark reputation sticks out in front of you , ooooeeeerrr missus

[Edited by Fat Boy - 12/10/2002 7:12:24 PM]
Old 10 December 2002, 01:29 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

My boss is taking all the staff to Dublin on Thursday for a few days (xmas **** up). Has anyone been? we are staying in the Temple Bar area of Dublin.
Any recommendations for Pubs, clubs, restaurants and things to do during the day.

Cheers

Jer
Old 10 December 2002, 02:26 PM
Hicky
Scooby Regular

Fitzsimmons is quite good, its a pub with a night club in the basement. I think they also have a restaurant above the pub. You caould also try the Auld Dubliner, lovley steak sandwiches to soak the Guinness up with!
Old 10 December 2002, 02:57 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Guiness factory was my favourite part of my trip to dublin! And free pint at the end...can't grumble!
Ben
Old 10 December 2002, 02:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ahh, Dublin, a lovely place! Temple Bar is great, go to, funnily enough, "The Temple" bar, as I'm told it's rahter nice.

I shall have a chat with my g/f as she has been known to frequent dublin on a regular basis

All I will say is, have a fecking wicked time, it's a great city and the people are lovely.

Oh and you HAVE to go to an early house the morning after! it's so the done thing Hair of the dog? nah, it's all the hair of a fair few dogs!
Old 10 December 2002, 04:50 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Small world

im flying out on saturday morning for a few days for a massive session !! were stopping at the regency on swords road wether that is but near temple bar area. if you see me wearing a blue scoob jacket give me a shout and we will talk cars drink etc all night long
Old 10 December 2002, 05:26 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You don't really need any directions as you will have a great night whatever happens.Just follow your nose in Temple bar and ask the nearest pretty girl where the best place to go is. It's like falling off a log.
Reynards (club) near Trinity College is worth going to, but try to blag your way into the private bar upstairs, difficult but not impossible, where you can bump into all sorts, like Bono for instance. Bad Bob's in temple bar, club under the Clarence Hotel forgotten name - The Garage or The Shelter ?
Bars by the million, Fitzsimons as above, the Hairy Lemon, the Stag's Head, the side bar in the Shelbourne,the back bar in the Clarence, Dohenny and Nesbits etc.,out of town, try Johnny Fox's bar in Wicklow ( 1/2 hr drive ) bit of a tourist trap but good at this time of the year,(one of !) Ireland's highest bar , live music , great food, maybe snow etc.

Breakfast in the Bewley's cafes all around town, fantastic fry ups and don't forget to have the Clonakilty blood pudding and the white pudding to really settle the stomach.

Finally if you have some lovely ladies with you a half of cider is a "glass of cider", so "7 pints of Guinness, 3 halves of cider and 23 tequila slammers" will have them asking "is that 3 glasses of cider you'll be wanting with the real drinks then "?

One word of warning though due to the preponderance of UK stag parties taking advantage of the cheap flights, and getting horribly pi55ed up,puking,fighting etc, most of the pubs in Temple bar now operate a strict door policy , which they didn't used to need to. So don't arrive at a bar 10 strong carrying someone because you won't get in.

You'll find it's all a bit different to going out over here I mean there (I'm Irish and spend quite a bit of time at home) - people are really sociable, friendly and all of them can talk for Ireland! So get there, find a nice looking bar and say hello to the person next to you and hold on.

Oh and if someone tells you that pogue mahone (english spelling)means give us a kiss, don't believe them, it means kiss my ****

[Edited by Fat Boy - 12/10/2002 5:47:32 PM]
Old 10 December 2002, 05:40 PM
se6b
Scooby Regular

I fly over to Dublin most weekends. Temple Bar is ok if thats what you're looking for, i.e. loads of pissed up Brits on stag nights and hen nights....no Irish people go out in Temple Bar for that reason, you might as well be in England.

Better to head down to Grafton St and Baggot St.

Old 10 December 2002, 07:04 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

for jessuz sake..

your man Se6b is roight!! fair play to ya!!(forget tryin to type in bleeeedin dub)

Anyway I was fortunate enough to work and live in Dublin for a Year and a Half (before coming to this godforsaken hellhole) My apartment was in ChristChurch so on the door step of Temple Bar.

It has to be said you may as well be drinking in your local city night spots - and its full a bleeedin tourists.

My Recomendations---

Food - any and i mean any traditional pub will do a full dinner for something like 2 quid. You will know you in a proper pub - because no one is drinking pints at lunch time- they are all eating!! (no lie). yes the bewleys breakfast highly recommened as well - esp the black and white puddings!!

Pubs - just go over the pennyweight bridge - there are some good spots without the hastle i.e. Pravda, and i used to like Zanzibar theres loads over the river cool spots.. .McTurkels not bad. O Donoghs on Dame street not bad - bit yuppyish!! also as said go up Grafton street loads of good spots.

Night Out - Murphys Laughter Lounge - fantastic!! assorted stand up comedy absolutely brilliant. esp if Ardal O`hanlon is on.

Night Clubs - young and want to pull try - Fireworks (near old fire station) cool clubs - The Pod - go there b4 seven and get the cocktails fantastic. RA RA`s bit livlier. would avoid Club M`s - meat market rubbish, very poor. Only club i liked in Temple Bar was BOBs opposite the diner.

Honestly - try and move a little further than temple bar - you wont regret it
Old 10 December 2002, 10:41 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

oi! cheeky swine! No you can't substitue! the irish accent just does it for me! oo-er!

I dunno, this shark thing is a pain sometimes

As for Pravda, aye, meant to be nice, walked past it the other weekend, did look funky.

Might pop back for a drink one day!