Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

best matial art for a girl?

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2002, 11:30 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second Jujitsu or other proper grappling arts. They don't require much strength or endurance (unless of course you're in the UFC, the old one, not the new soft one) and relies more on technique. High impact martial arts like TKD, Muay Thai rely too much on strength (check), speed (check) and endurance (failed me). It is however useful to learn as your instincts towards parrying, evading and blocking (if you must) blows are enchanced.

I'm not the best martial artist in the world but I can hold my own despite my slight frame and short stature (height not length ).

edit~ but at the end of the day, if you're good at an art, then you're good despite what art it is. The only question is, will the situation permit you to use it.

[Edited by Katana - 12/1/2002 11:31:29 PM]
Old 12 February 2002, 02:05 AM
OLD-DOG
Scooby Regular

My other half as a probation officer did self defence
She tried it on me and Man to Woman it was totally useless
all of the above are good for fitness and confidence.
But confidence can be a bad thing in a bad situation so stick to a known weak spot if needed eg: kick to b*lls as head comes down knee it and run.
enjoy the sports but stay real.

Sorry if this offends anyone but girls are no match for the nutters out there and time to get away is the best option.
X everything with 3 daughters

Oh edited to recomend Judo
stay safe

[Edited by OLD-DOG - 12/2/2002 2:07:21 AM]
Old 12 February 2002, 11:50 AM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

All 'systems' have their good and bad points and none of them will turn you into Bruce Lee in a short period of time. It's what works for you that will keep you going and motivate you to stick with it - the best advice is to watch a variety of classes and then try the ones you like, if you like it you will do it. Also if a teacher allows a new student to get his **** kicked in the first session - ribs broken etc., walk away he is not a teacher!

If you want to learn to defend yourself, try a class that actually shows the moves in application. I have recently taken up a mixed style at the Oxford Martial Arts Institute www.sansao.org. It is based around a Chinese style but includes techniques from different martial arts and is a very effective self-defence or street style. The training is full contact, although with control and I feel that I learnt more in 3 weeks than I would have done else where.

Best of luck.

Richard

[Edited by Richard Work - 12/2/2002 12:04:09 PM]
Old 12 February 2002, 04:40 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Wink

wrt to krav maga: *Most* KM you see about, is to Israeli KM (tm), what Tae bo is to Muay Thai...

..unless you can find one of the ex mossad guys then I'd be tempted to look else where..
JLO and madonna may have the luck to have found one of mossad's boys.. they have the funds to source such a person.

common sense goes a very long way in self defense.
you;d be amazed how many people walk around in a relative daze..
I really hope your sister isnt one of them.

..I think muay thai fits the bill you have stated best, fitness and rudimentary combat..
altho she may need her pride keeping in check when she gets good
Most kickboxers I have met/trained with seem to assume they are invincible imho ..

*flame suit on*

[Edited by chrome - 12/2/2002 4:41:21 PM]
Old 01 December 2002, 10:11 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Smile

my sister is interested in doing a martial art, mustly for keeping fit but also self defence. shes been asking me about muay thai(which i do) and kick boxing. i said that they both will help keep her fit and teach her some good self defence, i just wondered if there is style that is better suited for a girl.

regards mike
Old 01 December 2002, 10:17 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

depends on if she has done anything like it before ?

I always say people should start off doing Judo, give some fitness & teaches how to fall, move on.

my wife had no experience when we met, she has got in to it now & once over the baby want to start kickboxing, she has been doing judo for nearly 2 years
Old 01 December 2002, 10:18 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

She can learn whatever she wants to learn!

Personally I do kick-boxing but am looking at others. Get her to go to the first evening - generally free - and try. She'll soon find her style.
Old 01 December 2002, 10:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

WashingDePotsKwiko??

Pete
Old 01 December 2002, 10:20 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Really, I think she should try body-combat - I do it as a warm up for Kick-Boxing ........... its a VERY good workout!!

Pete
Old 01 December 2002, 10:21 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Question

the reason that she asking about thai and kickboxing is because shes done that boxasize cardiokick thing and she enjoyed that. i though maybe ju jitsu(sp) or kung fu as it would teach her to block and do locks as well as punching and kicking

mike
Old 01 December 2002, 10:21 PM
Mantamac
Scooby Regular

Wink

My wife does Kickboxing and love's it. It has improved her fitness level's no end. She is alot more confident and no longer feels vulnerable as she once did. I think kickboxing is more streetable than some other martialart's more attack than defence but I'm no expert

Mac.
Old 01 December 2002, 10:25 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I was put off Kick boxing by the fact, 1st time you went.

Get a total **** kicking
Old 01 December 2002, 10:28 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

si where did you go as she lives in newcastle and i`ll tell her not to go there if thats there game
Old 01 December 2002, 10:28 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

As an instructor in 2 styles and having taught women's self defence i recommend only one style. I have tried over 10 main styles and consider only one form of martial arts to actually have the techniques and teaching for a woman to actually use. The rest rely on strength, reach and speed, something a woman is unlikely to have more of than an attacker.

Ju-Jitsu covers all forms of attack including grabs, punches, kicks, all weapons and even ground wrestling, no size matters and ppl 5'0 tall can comfortably deal with ppl 10 stone heavier and much taller with practice.

Its also very popular with women and thus great for meeting and training with other females, its the biggest martial in the world or thereabouts and should exist in your area. The fitness work is fantastic and you will feel more confident about yourself in general. Have fun, its great!
Old 01 December 2002, 10:30 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

It was newcastle lol.

its was University ran, but got a total **** whooping.

Bit unfair, but its the way to get harder i guess.

lad in middlesbrough got his ribs bust.

but he was a ****** n i sorted him out too

Si
Old 01 December 2002, 10:36 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Quick run down on most styles in a nut shell;

Kick boxing - All physical attacks, actually pathetic self defense system relying on trading blows and attacking each other for about 2 minutes, crap for women except for fitness. The defences are laughable for grabs etc and to be fair you could make your own one up on the spot which would be more effective. Relies on reach, strength and speed, no good for short ppl or light people in essence .

Kung Fu - Poor self defence systems, good kicking and punching techniques but again you need to be similar size and strength as any opponnent

Akido - Takes YEARS even then flawed by no weakening moves to control opponents

Wing Chun - Take a decade come back you will be good then...... MASSIVE time sink

Karate - Very little use on the street unless its Seidokhan with alot of sparring, very limited techniques for women, flawed punching and kicking techniques relying on similar stances by other ppl - seen anyone in long stance in a pub brawl recently?

Tae Kwando - its a sport not a martial art, flairy kicks and silly blocks which are too slow, nice sparring though but very limited for street defence as once drunk your likely to fall on your **** trying to use it

Ju-Jitsu - The complete style ignoring physical size completely.

Judo - Great for defeating grabs and wrestling but no blows involved and no focus on attacks women generally get e.g. hair grabs, jacket grabs etc, no effective weakeners shown in order to allow you to leg it.

Btw i have at least blue belt/sash/tip in all those styles mentioned and 2 black belts so know what i am talking about
Old 01 December 2002, 11:38 PM
BL
Scooby Regular

As an avid Wing Chum artist & qualified instructor in it. I would recommend Wing Chun as it is a basic art to learn & works. (Just look at Bruce Lee. He basically learnt Wing Chun, then advanced it to Jeet Kune Do).

Dont forget that Wing Chun was originally designed by a lady so therefore would work best with one due to the rapid & close contact movements.

I would say that learning Wing Chun gives a basic knowledge to self defense, however as an avid martial artist, lacks the concentration on kicks.

Old 01 December 2002, 11:39 PM
scrap
Scooby Regular

I do TKO which is basically karate moves to music (like aerobics but without the girlie bits) but it is a good way to do learn to do the moves quickly, keeps your whole body fit and in shape etc

Teri
Old 01 December 2002, 11:40 PM
Little Miss WRX

Cool

Kick Boxing, IMHO the best, I enjoy it
Old 02 December 2002, 12:45 AM
bennyboy
Scooby Regular

IMO wing chun....... More specifically Kamon wing chun

www.kamonwingchun.com

I tried a few wing chun styles and this is the best.

Ben
Old 02 December 2002, 12:49 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

PS. L.e.w.i.s. ..... are you doing the UFC, whee you at the Albert Hall,
Now I know why Ken Shanrock looked so worried the other day
Old 02 December 2002, 01:36 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I think you mean Ken Shamrock
Old 02 December 2002, 11:23 AM
Luke
BANNED

How to walk
How to talk
How to look
When to run
How to control adrenalin.
Teach them this lot first... I have seen a few situations where a woman has got out of a mess with some of the above.
I also know a few "Wing won" nutters that are always getting bashed a s they have no simple Street sense...
Old 02 December 2002, 11:30 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

What's the art in 'Crouching tiget-hidden dragon', 'cos I'd like to learn how to run up walls and stuff.
Old 02 December 2002, 11:33 AM
TAZMAN
Scooby Regular

Systema....having spent 24 years studying various arts I would recommend Systema to anyone regardless of age,size or sex. It blew all my other training away...not saying that it doesn't prove useful but the concepts in Systema truly wirk when reality tested.
Old 02 December 2002, 11:37 AM
Luke
BANNED

"Krav Maga" to be serious.
Old 02 December 2002, 12:36 PM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

i kickbox and i love it.

why does she have to limit herself to one style tho???

cant she train twice a week, once for something like kickboxing - it totally improves your fitness, toning, and self-confidence
and then also do a grappling style - for throws, locks, etc.

that way she gets the best of both worlds. fitness and ability to look after herself...and lets face it...today a girls gotta be able to kick ***
Old 02 December 2002, 01:15 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Faster Mike:
For fitness; certainly Muay Thai.

For practicality; I'd go for wing chun as well.

Its (WC) not so hot on the cardio aspect (economy of movement etc..) but it will make her more than capable, (which is great in these dodgy times) have some character and self control (if you get the right teacher) and fulfill all of your criteria you mentioned.
You can get fit down the gym.
You do wing chun to for self defence and self defence alone.
IMHO.

I dont agree wit P1 Entusiast. Doesnt take 10 years to get any good. (Altho good is relative term..)
It takes as long as your skill and dedication lets it.
Although one thing to bear in mind; WC is NASTY.
Its not a pretty thing in action and might be a bad thing if your sister is of a fiery disposition.
hope this helps.
Brad
Old 02 December 2002, 01:20 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

I believe Madonna or Jay Lo have taken up Krav Maga, don't know much about it though except its used by the Israelli military...
Old 02 December 2002, 01:24 PM
Luke
BANNED

Krav..Its proper kosher !!

Quick Reply: best matial art for a girl?