Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

***** Snap On Tools*****

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2002, 10:56 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all the guys in the know who actually own Snap On Tools, is there much of a difference in the different range of boxes they supply. By that I mean the 7000 series, 1000 series etc etc etc ? Anybody on here work for Snap On ?

This next request is probably a silly one to ask but does anybody have any good pictures of their Snap On work stations or boxes as I would like to see the different colours available. I have the catalogue but would like to see a better picture of the cranberry and black colours to see whether they are nicer thasn the traditional red ?

Thanks in advance for all opinions.

Ricky !

[Edited by Ricky - 12/1/2002 11:01:11 PM]
Old 12 March 2002, 03:17 AM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Would anybody like to post a picture of their work station ? If you dont want to post it you can e-mail it to me personally. I'm interested in the bigger Snap On work stations rather than the smaller boxes, and inparticular the various colours offered.

Also, does anybody actually own one of the vertical lockers as can been seen on the link below. Would love to hear somebodies opinion who has one.

http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/pro_de...uk&dir=catalog

Anybody ?

Thanks !

Ricky !

[Edited by Ricky - 12/3/2002 4:11:21 AM]
Old 12 March 2002, 07:02 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Surely somebody would like to give me their opinion on these two work stations ?

Ricky !

[Edited by Ricky - 12/3/2002 7:02:25 PM]
Old 12 March 2002, 07:50 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Ricky

Just buy whichever one suits your needs best. The quality will be the same on both regardless. You seem to be on a mission to buy something. For what its worth I have a KRA59K top chest. Completely Full now, but all I need, and I get everything I own in.

Richard

[Edited by rr_ww - 12/3/2002 9:20:41 PM]
Old 12 March 2002, 10:30 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've allready got an account.. but its for the wakefield bloke..

Besides I'll put more money their way than some Apprentices..

[Edited by David_Wallis - 12/3/2002 11:10:40 PM]
Old 01 December 2002, 08:29 PM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

I have always wanted a good tool kit to have forever and a day, and have been considering buying myself a Snap On box for Christmas.... then adding the tools as I get the money. Obviously these are really expensive compared to the other alternatives on the market, so in your opinion

ARE THEY WORTH IT ????

Cheers !

Ricky !
Old 01 December 2002, 09:32 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Ricky -

Before I get a flaming, this is all MHO...

I'm sure Snapon are great tools, but I'd suggest that they are probably overkill unless you are using the tools for a living, every day.

Other tools that have a good reputation are 'Teng' - which are available in Halfords.

Personally, my tools are a mixture of cheap tools that I bought as & when I needed them (with a view to replace later), Halfords own brand (which are actually quite good, have a lifetime warranty) and 'Laser' tools - from my local autofactors.

The latter seem OK, although I haven't had them long enough to get a good idea of what they are like.

I'd go for the Teng ones and pocket the leftover cash....

Den
Old 01 December 2002, 09:44 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Snap on tools are very good. If money was no object, that's what I would buy.

However, I have to agree with Den. Unless your living is made from their use, you may as well go for something like the Draper expert range or the Halfords professional range. Both have lifetime guarantees, and will stand up to heavy "domestic" use.
(I don't have many Teng tools - mainly over sized sockets - so I can't really comment on durability.)

Buying cheap tools IMHO is a complete waste of time & money. (Especially considering the abuse I give them.)
Old 01 December 2002, 10:01 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

I as most people know do very little mechanically

However I believe in buying the best you can afford

I recently treated my self to a 1/2" Cordless Impact Wrench from Snap On
[as used by Prodrive]

Now what a decent bit of kit it can break a wheel nut on a hot wheel with little effort

Makes wheel changes effortless

Phil
Old 01 December 2002, 10:02 PM
ukbob
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

i agree with the above.i use tools day in day out,only a few tools are snap-on which i bought when alternatives were not available at that time.i now buy tools from halfords.neal
Old 01 December 2002, 10:22 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

I used to have several thousand pounds worth of snap on gear, it was the dogs bolx imho, but my garage got turned over & all my tools except my bus trolly jack went, my insurance would not pay out as I had not told them about all the tools & even thought I had most of the invoices they were usless.

If you get a lot of gear make sure you get in insured
Old 01 December 2002, 10:33 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Anyone know a cheap place online to order a snap on tool box?
Old 01 December 2002, 10:34 PM
Mantamac
Scooby Regular

I have over 20k's worth of Snap-On tool's at work and for a proffesional there is no sustitute ,BUT lower priced tool's are availible that do the same job ! Snap-On charges high prices because of the warranty so if you use tool's every day it's worth it because at some point something will break. If you only use them now and again buy cheaper tool's simple.
If you do decide to buy a Snap-On box look at where it was made.(usually on rear of cabinet) The boxes made in Canada seem to be more sustantial,thicker steel etc for some unknown reason(that's my experience anyway and I've had over 10 boxes).

Mac.
Old 01 December 2002, 10:48 PM
dazc2
Scooby Regular

over the years i have spent somewhere near 20k on tools as i do use them to make my living.......i dont buy anything else (well almost).....they are worth it for a proffessional person but again it has been mentioned...a cheaper alternative would be better if you are not using them daily

Teng
Clarke
Sealey
Britool
Beta
Halfords
Gedore (spanners)
Stahlwille (spanners)

are all good tools as well
Old 01 December 2002, 10:54 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

whats a snap on tool
sorry just never seen them

Si
Old 01 December 2002, 10:56 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Another ex professional here! They are fantastic tools, no doubt about it but they're far too expensive to use once in a blue moon! I'd deffo recomend a snap on box though, nothing beats one but I'd say go for Teng tools
Old 01 December 2002, 11:12 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

Snap-On tools that I have used live up to their name ie they snap! They may have a life time garantee but no good when I need it. Look at others like Britool etc as they have not failed yet(touch wood).
Old 01 December 2002, 11:17 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Si, Snap On is just a brand name

I think the ranges just indicate numbers of draws don't they, not sure!?

Mine's a KR56, I think! It has a pallet which slides up when you open the lid, totally awesome Don't have any pics of it though

As for colours, I think anything other than red looks hideous
Old 01 December 2002, 11:19 PM
Scooby Snax
Scooby Regular

http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/main_xml.asp

cant be arsed to make it clickable
Old 01 December 2002, 11:23 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/main_xml.asp

I'm Bored
Old 02 December 2002, 12:59 AM
steve G MAN
Scooby Regular

by the way theres a fella sellin a snapon tool box in the for sale fourm
Old 02 December 2002, 09:46 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Snap on are the best. The stuff is guaranteed forever, so if owt breaks they will replace it for nowt. I know I'm a girlie and shouldn't know bout this stuff but I used to work for a tool hire company and I was married to a tool hire fitter and both him and the rest of the guys there would use nothing else! I'd recommed them. I've even got a few bits from snap on for general stuff round the house!!!
Old 02 December 2002, 09:52 AM
Luke
BANNED

What about the fact that a lot of pros buy them as they need to buy a lot and they can get it on credit??
Old 03 December 2002, 04:21 AM
Ricky
Scooby Regular

Click on the link below and tell me which workstation would you choose ? KRL 7002 or KRL 7003, why you chose it, and in which colour ?

http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/Produc...tions&store=uk

All opinions appreciated !!

Ricky !

Old 03 December 2002, 09:01 AM
Luke
BANNED

What about "Facom" cant spell""" they are ment to be trick.
Old 03 December 2002, 07:09 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
A snap on box is expensive...

I have a snap-on top box... (lots of money...)

You can buy a clarke one from machine mart cheaper...

Some snap on tools are a must... (spanners, but about 200 for a set)

Get a decent set of sockets 1/4 3/8 and 1/2" drive (Clarke Proffesional range from machinemart arent bad..)

Snap on Flank Drive spanners..

Or a set of eurotool ones (same as snap on.. but cheaper.)

Also look at teng and britool.
David

Some Snap on, Some cheap **** and some fooking expensive bits..

Old 03 December 2002, 07:42 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Ah

Those were the days. Hiding from mr Snap On, in car boots when he came to collect his money on a Friday afternoon.
Old 03 December 2002, 08:40 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you need to have a spanner, wrench, socket or such that must perform when you need it to, buy a snap-on one. There's a snap-on man in every town, if you break a socket or whatever, they will just exchange it. Britool are good too, but harder to find a dealer if you want to casualy get stuff exchanged.

For everyday stuff, I've found the teng and halfords professional to be good, halfords is better in recent years, some of the first "professional" stuff I got wasn't a great fit spanner wise.

Things lie flank drive spanners, deep ring spanners, curved spanners, 90degree c-spanners, crowfoot spanners and sockets, 3 or 4 different lengths of socket in a range of wall thicknesses, 6 or 12 point etc etc etc. Basically anything 'special', see the snap-on man.

The credit is evil, it's interest free so cheap, but you just buy much more.

paul
Old 03 December 2002, 09:21 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

anybody know the number for the leeds snap on man... think I might get them to come around on an evening
Old 03 December 2002, 09:41 PM
evo kid
Scooby Regular

as an maintainance fitter for a well known food manifacturer all my work tools have been bought for me by the company , nearly all my spanners etc are britool , apart from a few that have had crome chip off (later spanners now have a better coating )ive never had a problem and they get a lot of stick , bars to increase leaverage , hammering and have never broke, have broke many a backo adjustable and record stilsons

but all the maintanace staff (74 of us) have had Snap on tool boxes bought for us , they are acctally top boxes as we need our boxes to be mobile , so we all have the mounted on trollys , they get loads of stick from getting soaked up and down steps , used to Ram doors open , stood on to get better reach and allways used for carying our sopares on the lid , gearboxes ,motors pumps , if it will fit on top (weight does not matter ) it goes on ..

so if i needed a tool box at home that needed to last i think snap on would have to be my choice , quality wise the best ..

but there tools are not allways the best so save some money and be able to buy more 'cheaper'ones

Quick Reply: ***** Snap On Tools*****