How hard can it be ffs

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2002, 06:39 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Right, gonna have a rant...[rant]

Firefighters, you're taking the p*ss! Just hand our fire stations over to the army, go home and don't come back till you've grown up![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

All this, "the army can't use our fire engines cos they're too complicated" is a big crock of sh*t, give me a go in one, at the end of the day it's only a jumped up power tool that you drive, really, how hard can it be ffs[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It doesn't bother me that they want more money, who doesn't, if they feel they need to strike, fine (I'd rather they didn't) but there's no reason for the station and it's equiptment to strike too

[/rant]

Bob
Old 15 November 2002, 06:41 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Angry

Totally agree.

I was talking to my mum this morning and cos I was little the last time there was a strike I don't remember this! Dad remembers that firefighters were actually prosecuted for making hoax calls! This got me thinking about the fires that are so close to fire stations and then the firefighters just appear to help save the day!

My rant over too

Amanda
Old 15 November 2002, 06:52 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Angry

The firemen have not stopped anyone taking the engines or anything else, all the 'other' comment is pure propaganda. As for suggesting they started the fires. Can I suggest a better read than the Sun or the Daily Mail to you both.
If its not oK for Public servants to get a big rise then why did the MP's vote for bumper rises for themselves FFS.

Regards
Cammy
Old 15 November 2002, 07:11 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Cammy, I realise the brigade aren't actually stopping the army using the equiptment but they do appear to making it difficult, I thought that was clear in my post, perhaps "unable" would of been a better word to use rather than "can't"....."the army are unable to use our fire engines cos they're too complicated"

Secondly, I don't read newspapers (I do enjoy the pictures in the Star though)
Old 15 November 2002, 07:16 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

oh and MP's nnnnnngggggggggghhhhhhhh[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]mad:

I think careers advisers should have the power to execute anyone that says " I want to be a MP"[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 15 November 2002, 07:41 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Bob,
as the man said, anyone who wants to be an MP should be banned from the occupation.....some good smart guys out there but the whole bloody system is buggered up by party politics and whip voting....

The issue with the firemen is that they should have been training the soldiers on the new kit when this started to kick off.....thats why they are buggered now. however they have time now to at least make a start.

Cheers
Cammy
Old 15 November 2002, 08:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

the 'Retained' firemen say that adequate training can be successfully completed on the Red Engines within 2 weeks!! Why do the firemen say it takes 5 years then?? - I'll tell you why, cos they only work for 5 minutes out of every 100 - thats why!!

Oh, yes, and they are rather thick!!

Pete
Old 15 November 2002, 08:56 PM
mark_h
Scooby Regular

Wink

The firemen have not stopped anyone taking the engines or anything else
I asked them very nicely if I could take one for a spin and they said no
Old 15 November 2002, 09:50 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

PS,
Just cause you do the same job as Homer Simpson doesn't mean everyone is thick....
Nuclear Physics, piece of ****. Civil Servant's indeed

Regards
Cammy
Old 15 November 2002, 09:53 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

@ Cammy
Old 15 November 2002, 10:19 PM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

Angry

pete

firemen ar NOT thick.

they get paid £20k (ish) for a job were they get 32 days paid holiday, work 4 nights on 4 nights off ( they are allowed to sleep during their shift)before going home to get more sleep so they don't waste any of their time off.
have a boss who says if the situation is "too dangerous and to wait for the fire to burn itself out" (quote from an active fireman).

don't get me wrong i think they do a valuable job but i wish i was thick enough to choose that job

colin
Old 16 November 2002, 08:16 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

With all the different kit that the army, navy and airforce operate, surely driving a high speed lorry isn't going to be a problem?
Old 17 November 2002, 10:23 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Different counties seem to work different shift rota's, one thing I can't understand as an ex retianed firefirefighter, is, if they ain't at work, how come they're all able to wear their fire kit, which actually belongs the Fire Service that their 'not working for'.
Old 17 November 2002, 10:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I didnt say they were thick, Just RATHER thick - that means RELATIVE to other professions and I am RIGHT!!

40 applicants per firemans job?? I would assume 20 could cruise it!! Whats the Qualifications? anyone know? Degree in Pyrotechnics maybe? 'A' level in sleeping? GCSE in running TWO jobs? Certificate in applying yourself for 5% of the time??

Dont get me wrong, they do an essential job - but lets NOT forget that £21k IS the rate for the job - END OF DISCUSSION?!

Pete

Cammy - NOT a Civil Servant mate, couldn't live on their wages!!

[Edited by pslewis - 11/17/2002 10:44:07 PM]
Old 17 November 2002, 10:36 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Angry

Cammy, if you bothered to actually read what I said I was talking about the last firefighters strike 20 odd years ago and there were prosecutions FACT!
AJ
Old 17 November 2002, 10:49 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Apparently, the striking firemen have said they will "lose" the keys to the fire engines if Blair orders the army to take them over...
Old 18 November 2002, 08:35 AM
Luke
BANNED

Also stop them from using the stations for their demos..all those banners etc should be taken down .Its not their property and they should not take advantage of it.

Next time I'm in Soho and they are on strike I'm going down when the media are there. As they go "Live" I am going to have my say!!

Firemen "Sheep ,led by a ******"

[Edited by Luke - 11/18/2002 8:40:14 AM]
Old 18 November 2002, 10:17 AM
banshi
Scooby Regular

how come they're all able to wear their fire kit, which actually belongs the Fire Service that their 'not working for'
Because it's theirs!

Well it must be, if you check them out when they're doing the second job "to make ends meet". Service tee shirts, trousers, overalls and work gloves are in abundance.

Not forgetting the stilsaw etc. for cutting slabs, tiles and conservatory frames

BTW who was interviewed for these polls that show public support for their case. The only ones I know are either FF or their relatives

Old 18 November 2002, 10:25 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

Apparently, the striking firemen have said they will "lose" the keys to the fire engines if Blair orders the army to take them over...
Just check under their pillows!!!(lazy gits)

BB
Old 18 November 2002, 10:52 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I applied for the fire service in 1990ish and passed al the tests and physical etc then had a final interview with a toffee nosed senior officer and then got rejected with no explanation, so I joined the army.
Old 18 November 2002, 12:13 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the media are playing up to the strikers. They have stated that the armed forces are getting only a few hours training and have obsolete kit. In 1977, I was in the RAF. The govenment had anticipated the strike and we received training at two days a week for two months followed by a month full time training. Our fire appliance was a modern up to date red vehicle. Also, where available, a full time forces fireman was the leading fireman in each crew. Every day during the strike we were receiving additional training.
Old 19 November 2002, 12:56 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Amanda-Jane,
I suggest you re-read your comment and think what your inferring:-

"Dad remembers that firefighters were actually prosecuted for making hoax calls! This got me thinking about the fires that are so close to fire stations and then the firefighters just appear to help save the day!"

Its clear to me from what is above that you are making a statement that the firemen CURRENTLY on stike are possibly/not out of the question in your mind involved in setting fires close to their stations, unless making you think means something other than what it normally means. The fact there were possibly prosecution's in the last strike does not lead ME to think its happening again just because its close to a firestation. Possibly as I'm less influenced by what I read in the newspapers or spouted by Government lacky's.

Regards
Cammy
Old 19 November 2002, 01:04 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Angry

I was talking to my mum this morning and cos I was little the last time there was a strike I don't remember this! Dad remembers
Think you need to re-read what I said Cammy! In the sentance before I refer to the previous strike.

Amanda
Old 19 November 2002, 01:15 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

yes but what were you thinking about those firemen who were close to the fires ? You WERE suggesting that they were involved in the recent fires.

[Edited by camk - 11/19/2002 1:16:29 PM]
Old 19 November 2002, 01:27 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

if they did it before, why can't they do it again?

Amanda
Old 19 November 2002, 02:04 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

no smoke without firemen then

BTW, Are you blonde ? since we're generalizing(mostly different people on strike but same profession, so probably was them) . I'm entitled to ask, since we're blue sky-ing.

Anyway you've proved my point, you made a statement that suggested current firemen, in your opinion(in your mind) are possibly/probably involved in recent fires. You have no proof, evidence other than it happened over 25 years ago. Jury duty must be a hoot where you live.....gulp.
Old 19 November 2002, 03:26 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Wink

not a natural blonde just got some highlights since I chopped all my hair off!

AJ
Old 19 November 2002, 04:26 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

Reading this having a chuckle to myself. During the recent 2 day strike the statistics were interesting to say the least, 16 calls in the whole of Grampian +or- a couple (cant remember exact figure as I was laughing so hard) During the same period the ambulance service in the same area with substantially less staff and resourses (and PAY) did around 200 jobs? And they get beds on nights, enhanced rates for overtime, best of gear to use, incremental pay rises for service, need I go on??