Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

NIP in post....help please legal team

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2002, 09:05 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Got a nice NIP in the post this morning stating EXCESS SPEED-50MPH(PORTABLE)
Recorded speed 85mph!!!!!!!
Contrary to section S84(1) RTRA 84
This allergation is supported by photographiv evidence!!!!
This van I actually saw parked on the side of the road.....85 for firks sake.
Already got 3 points on my license.
Do I just do the bu11**** and take the rapp or tell em to firk off and catch me.
Only had the STI for 4 days and already done.
Any sensible ideas please.
Was gonna say that I am not sure who was driving and can I see the evidence but do I sign this form and send it back or what.
Do I need a solicitor????
HHHhhheeeeeeellllllllppppppppp!!
Old 14 November 2002, 09:09 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

arron, i ain't wishing to wind you up but DO take legal advice.

You are more than 25MPH over the posted limit (85 in a 50 is what you're implying?), and that seems to imply in most people's eyes that a court appearance is mandatory. What does your letter say?

I hope I'm not just spouting urban myth there, but my advice would be to seek proper legal advice ASAP so you know what you're facing. I believe your insurer may have a legal line that could help you out (you know, that legal cover thing, which also includes legal advice)

Also, see The speedtrap bible for some advice.

Good luck.

Nick.

[Edited by chiark - 11/14/2002 9:15:09 PM]
Old 14 November 2002, 09:11 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Question

Que Rum.........
Old 14 November 2002, 09:13 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Tell them you cannot for the life of you remember who was driving. The camera equipment used to take these photos generate a cr@p photo I am told. Ok you will still get 3 or 6 points (can't remember which) for failing to identify driver but thats better than a ban (85 in a 50 ffs ).

Best of luck

Yorkie
Old 14 November 2002, 09:14 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Seek legal advice over 30mph is a ban normally
Old 14 November 2002, 09:16 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Bad luck mate. Say "it wasn't me".
Get the picture and tell them you are not sure who was driving.
Old 14 November 2002, 09:16 PM
Pauleds
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You need to get some legal advice sharpish mate.If you say you can't remember who was driving then the registered keeper will be prosecuted and i take it YOU are the registered keeper?
You will probably be in line for a short ban if you plead guilty without mitigation.ie you need your licence for your job etc.
Because you were travelling in excess of 30mph above the speed limit a ban MAY be applicable.
I take it you've not received a summons yet?
If you read the wording of the NIP it says that a prosecution MAY be forthcoming,and not that it definately will but i would have thought they would proceed in this case.
Solicitor is your best bet for some good advice.
Old 14 November 2002, 09:20 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I wonder if the mobile has a valid calibration certificate?

If it hasn't you can't be done as it won't stand in court.

Old 14 November 2002, 09:28 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

I really want to fight this but am worried that if I kick up the bastads will hang me. Firking Sandy on the A1. Little smart **** in the back of a van with a sofisticated camera looking down the crriageway. 50mph on the firkin A1 I ask you.
I`ll call my brief tomorrow It reads that intend to take proceedings aginst the driver of the vehicle.
We had one of our works vans done and we said we didnt know who was driving. As Director I got 140 fine but that was a works van, this is a little different.
Its alright saying diont own up and all that and I would love the beat the firkers. Road safety my ****. I`m gonna take the rapp and bust off half my front number plate and see what happens then. £20 fixed penalty probably. What about if someone had false plates on their car with my number on. Its bo11ox and has really pi55ed me off. Why isnt more time and money spent on REAL crime in this country. This was 11am on a Sunday morning for firks sake. Bet he had a really good day. I hope he`s happy and revenge will be sweet.
I`m sure I`m not the only one who feels like this.
Rant not over.....
Old 14 November 2002, 09:35 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Arron
This is supposed to be THE solicitor for motoring offences......

Mr Andreas Serghis of Andreas Serghis
171 Edward Street,Brighton DX: 94301 Brighton
East Sussex, Telephone: (01273) 626762
Fax: (01273) 676717

Old 14 November 2002, 09:37 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

I bet he charge for it aswell Dave. I`ll give him a call on Monday. Out all day tomorrow. Cheers.
Old 14 November 2002, 09:40 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Mate, i really feel for you. Its really getting stupid. I was driving down to the mitsi dealer to get a ride in an evo and there was a speed camera targeting the carriageway. I was doing 50 in a 70 so i was ok then 2 poxy miles down the road another identical van doing exactly the same bloody thing. I was doing 31 in a 40 but i could have been band as i already have 6 points on my license. Oh yeh and i had to negotiate 2 gatsos also. All this in a 4 mile stretch of road. Good god whats the world coming too? I think some gatso attacks are in order if you ask me. Honestly. I would never have condoned this before but people will start to take action when enough of us are ticketed.By then it would be too late for the ones whose lives have been affected. Sod them all, they are ripping us off left, right and centre.
Old 14 November 2002, 09:42 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Just a thought > do you think there would be a marked increase in road accidents if there was no speed limit in open road areas only built up areas. I remember watching a programme on the TV a while ago and they had an Orrific.....er on there who worked out how accidents had happened. He openly admitted that speed was only a contributing factor to road accidents and not actually that important. It was bad driving and speed combined!!!!
Old 14 November 2002, 09:47 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Arron

Were you actually doing the speed ?

If you were, then you were, accept it. We all take the risk when we speed and we all know the current climate of speed enforcement. Even though we don't necessarily like it.

If you weren't then don't accept it and fight it all the way.

Nathan..
Old 14 November 2002, 09:48 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Its not speed that kills, its the impact.
Old 14 November 2002, 09:50 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Angry

Scrappydoo its bo11ox and they know it. On one of my old cars I had **5 WRX number plate. I made the 5 look a little like an S but it was still a 5. No smaller plate or anything. Went past a traffic car without speeding and got pulled for an illegal number plate. Told to change it which I did and get to an MOT atation and get a stamp. I put it straight back on again. You know what that very same sad tw8t came to my workplace and gave me another bo11ocking.He had heard via another orrrrrifiss that I had put the plate back on. Do they have nothing else to talk about???? I had a row with him there and then and told him to stop wasting TAX payers time and money and go and find some Rapists or real criminals . Better still stop launching your very expensive helicopter evertime Mrs Bloggs looses her cat....use it to get peoples cars back in one piece. He said (and I quote) "We see traffic offences as a priority and are REAL CRIME".BO11OX!!!
Things are gonna get worse in this country soon enough.
Old 14 November 2002, 09:51 PM
Anduram
Scooby Newbie

Arron

Just to give you an idea of what to expect, I was caught by a mobile money earner doing 76 in that same 50 and got 6 points and a £300 fine. Had to go to court and was lucky to get away without a ban. I think legal advice would be a good idea.
Old 14 November 2002, 09:54 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

That A1 section at Sandy has been 50mph for a very long time, with two fixed camera's in it nearly always pointing the same way. Section just south is now a marked 60mph I noticed about 2-3 weeks ago when travelling down it for the first time in a while.

Where were they hiding as I travel that section a lot, although I always slow down for that section, but often come flying upto the bridge (heading south) before slowing to crest and smile for the camera.

I'd say unlucky - but 85mph in a 50 is a little careless.
Old 14 November 2002, 09:54 PM
owbow
Scooby Regular

what's the number of days between the date of the offence and the date on the nip? is it over 14 days (unlikely) cos if it is you're off scott free.
have a good look on www.speed-trap.co.uk there might be a loophole somewhere else you can use.

fight them all the way if yo think you've got a solid way of getting out of it.

owain.
Old 14 November 2002, 09:55 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Arron

Were you actually doing the speed ?

If you were, then you were, accept it. We all take the risk when we speed and we all know the current climate of speed enforcement. Even though we don't necessarily like it.

If you weren't then don't accept it and fight it all the way.

Nathan..

Nathan I had only had the car for a couple of days.
I remember evrything and even had a car in front of me. Suppose he got him too. I cannot believe that I was doing that sort of speed but who knows. These cars accelerate very quickly as we all know. If I was speeding which I probably was I accept it and will take the rapp as I said earlier. Its just...well....what harm was being done on the A1 for firks sake.
Why dont they invent a camera that actually catches people who dont know how to use lanes properly on the motorway.
I bet the silly cow who nearly killed me this year in her car when she knocked me off my bike wont get a ban. I could be dead.
Due care maybe and what 5 points.
I`m sorry but to me its just bo``ox.
3 cameras and two mobile units in two miles of road!!!!
Old 14 November 2002, 10:01 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Angry

It most definatley is boll*x mate. It really is getting my goat up. If we all stood up to it and oted for court the system would crumble within a week. As for that copper coming to your workplace, well that just takes the biscuit. Probably the reason why he was so pi$$ed off was because he realised that they might not be able to read your number plate in the event of a speeding offence. hah!!! thus deprive them of revenue. *****! Im telling you ALL, something needs to be done about this cos its getting worse and pretty soon many of us will be off the roads altogether then finally when we are allowed back on them our insurance premiums will rocket.

Arron mate, way up your chances after legal advice and fight them all the way if you can.
Old 14 November 2002, 10:02 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Arron

Catching people on main roads is a waste of time IMHO. In built up areas I can accept it.

It's just easy pickings out of town though.

Nathan..
Old 14 November 2002, 10:03 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Scratch it is just after the last camera going South. Last turn on the left into Sandy near New Road,Beeston. I think most people speed up after the camera or dont even slow down if it is visibly facing the other way.Come on I`m not the only one. The car has a missfire or hesitaion at 5000 revs and I can remember squirting it upto the last camera but not after. I honestly dont remember doing that sort of speed. I dunno I really dont. Just pi55ed off big time. Do I have to take my bike test all over if I get banned. Some bright spark seemed to think I would have to. That makes a lot of sense aswell hey?????
Old 14 November 2002, 10:06 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Nathan I NEVER speed in built up areas. I ride a bike and it makes you a MUCH better and more considerate car driver I reckon. Most accidents happen in built up areas. Ok so were talking Sandy buy its hardly built up is it and dont forget it the bl00dy A1!!!!
Old 14 November 2002, 10:11 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate from well darn sarf.

Don't know the area at all.

Nath..
Old 14 November 2002, 10:16 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Red face

If you can't serve the time, don't do the crime.
Old 14 November 2002, 10:25 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Scoobydick I suppose you do 70 everywhere then eh.
Where are the coppers when the boy racres with their RS turbo`s and stuff doing 90 down my housing estate road then eh????
Look I was speeding they say so I will take it. It just really frustrates me that we have to have as many speed camers that are fixed in position to worry about without some to55er sitting in his white van on a Sunday morning. If the speed cameras were doing their jobs why do we need mobile ones. To catch people thats all and thats where I think its wrong. How many times have you seen people nearly cause an accident cos they havnt seen the camera till its too late and slam on their brakes!!!
The Bell 980 is going in tomorrow. I tried to fit it that morning funnilly enough but the cigarette lighter wasnt working until I got it fixed the very next day at my local dealers .That just about sums it up!!!
Old 14 November 2002, 10:29 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Talking

On the contrary - I cain it everywhere ***** out but I accept that I will get in deep doodoo if caught
Old 14 November 2002, 11:23 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

i thought a few people on here had just ignored the NIP and it DID go away. Or were they just trying to sound good
Old 14 November 2002, 11:27 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

as you were more than 30 over the limit, i would seek proper legal advice on this one from someone who knows every twist and turn in the law if i were you.

The sooner the better

John.

Quick Reply: NIP in post....help please legal team