Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

sticky situation

Search this Thread

Old 07 November 2002, 11:54 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in a bit of a sticky situation at the moment. I'm looking for some advise.

I recently applied for a project managers job through an agency. The agency are very keen to put me forward for the job. The job is better money, better contract, better hours etc, so i don't want to lose out on it.

The problem i have is that the contract i'm on at the moment is working for 'company A' contracted to 'company B'. The job i applied for is with 'company C' who also contract for 'company B'.

If i was to get this new job i'd be my current project managers boss. This leaves me having to use my current boss are a reference for a job to become his boss.

I'd normally manipulate my CV to make my current role look more like what the prospective employer is looking for. In this case, even though i'd be changing company, my 'new' employer knows exactly what i do at the moment. (ie. spend all day on SN)

Any ideas? I've thought about changing my references but i want to play on the fact that i already have a good knowledge of the company.

Marty.
Old 07 November 2002, 11:56 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just go for it. If your manager is petty enough to give you a bad reference, you can dispute that claim. You could even mention it in your application, so they know there's a potential conflict of interest.

Becoming your boss's boss eh? Sounds like a perfect opportunity for revenge.
Old 07 November 2002, 12:00 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds almost win-win. Tell the agency that you would be your boss's boss, and that they should treat any reference with this in mind. I.e., anything they say bad about you is just jealousy so they should ignore it.
Old 07 November 2002, 12:04 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

It would bring a grin to my face ... my boss is a bit of an ****. Straight out of Uni thinking he knows everything type. Would love to just step past him and have everyone watch me do it.

Just had a thought. The agency i'm going through to get the job probably wont tell him what contract they'll be putting me on when they ask for a reference. He'll hopefully give me a decent reference and be totally oblivious to the fact that he'd end up working for me.
Old 07 November 2002, 12:21 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Your boss cannot give you a bad reference. He can refuse to give you a reference, or request a phone reference only, but he cannot give you a bad reference.

(How many times can I use the word reference here? )
Old 07 November 2002, 01:13 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Interesting.

Isn't it protocol here that they wouldn't ask for a reference off your current boss if you make it clear that your current employers do not know you are seeking other employment?

Also, put yourself in your prospective employers shoes, they may ask themselves that the reason you are going for this job could be primarily fuelled by the prospect of 'getting one over' your current boss. Unfortunately, if you did get the job and didn't tell them this situation, then when they do realise this it further compounds it!

Perhaps the thing to do is be totally honest with them, requesting that they do not contact your boss and provide other references.