Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

I've just sold our house... how should I tell my husband?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2002, 01:09 AM
Ivor_the_engine_ChooChoo!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im quite serious when I ask this. What the hell goes through a womans head when she dicdes to do something like that??
Its not as if you went out and bought a television and got rid of the old one??
Its a F**King house. You just dont go and sell something like that on impulse.
I know friends whos partners do similarly daft things, financing themselves up to their necks on items which in no way needed replacing. Why do you do it?????
I know others, who have came home to find most of the wallpaper in the house removed, carpets ripped up etc etc...just coz all of a sudden they didnt like it.
Is it because women are mentally unstable, or some other reason??? Please tell me, because if it was my partner....I think I would have 'words' with her......

I dont mean the above as any sort of sexist comment, but please explain your rationale behind such a decision.

[Edited by Ivor_the_engine_ChooChoo! - 11/7/2002 1:14:04 AM]
Old 07 November 2002, 12:00 AM
Loopylu
Scooby Newbie

Ok so I lurk here a lot. I'm hoping I'll get some useful (or amusing ) answers to this one.

We have been very happy in our house for about 3 years but this morning I decided I wanted to move. So I checked a few properties out and put our house on the market. Then I couldn't get hold of him at lunchtime and now, I've kind of sold our house but I haven't made a firm offer on the one I want yet as it's a bit out of his price range [we are married but I'm no longer working, just looking after *mini-me* or should I say mini-him ]

What's the best way to break this news? I know he uses this board so maybe that'll be enough??
Old 07 November 2002, 12:03 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Get kitted out in the stockings and suspenders before he gets home. Wait in the middle of the front garden. That way he wont see the for sale and under offer sign in the garden.
Old 07 November 2002, 01:02 AM
dazc2
Scooby Regular

lol....oh dear....
Old 07 November 2002, 01:16 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Ivor... i think the name says it all

My g/f is the same. She decided that -- I -- was going to completely redecorate the spare room. Didn't occur to her that it's a rented house that we'll only be in for another few months.
Old 07 November 2002, 02:02 AM
T3RBO
Scooby Regular

Wink

Rip down sign and sleep on desision made for tomorrow you'll probably change your mind about moving...

my philosophy on the women i've known and loved

Old 07 November 2002, 05:52 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

you start the conversation with something like ...... 'you know how you were talking about moving .......'

- i.e. the husband started the whole idea and therefore it's all his fault.

And 'cos it's always the husband's fault and he's used to always being at fault, the rest of the conversation will be a 'no-brainer'.

???wot - me married? How did you know?

Old 07 November 2002, 08:24 AM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Wink

My wife tends to bring things like this up immediately pre-**** when she knows I'm likely to agree to anything provided that we don't have to discuss it right now.......
Old 07 November 2002, 08:26 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

It's threads like this that stop me going mad @ work
Old 07 November 2002, 09:04 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Menstruation - it's a bu99er, eh?
Old 07 November 2002, 09:11 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

This has to be a wind-up
Old 07 November 2002, 09:21 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

jlanng -- why do you think it's a wind up?

If this type of behaviour is not typical in the women you know, can you introduce me?
Old 07 November 2002, 09:26 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

pre-****
I thought I was the only one that women tend to do that too!? lol *******s!

oohh the trouble that has gotten me into
Old 07 November 2002, 09:30 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Question

LoopyLu - do you own a scoob, or is it your husband's car? If the latter, is the reason you lurk here 'cos he's on SN too?

Which leads me to ask, is this thread your attempt to break the news to him without doing it face-to-face?
Old 07 November 2002, 09:31 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

lol @ brickboy
Old 07 November 2002, 09:42 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tell him the truth. Emphasize how you're so excited, blah blah blah. Probably help to sit down and work out some numbers like what the mortgage is going to be each month, moving costs, so you can show him that you're still afford it.

It's not that bad!

Paul
Old 07 November 2002, 10:15 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Sounds like perfectly normal behaviour to me, can't see what's wrong with it

Dave T-S - so was Carolyn menstuating when she drove past your current home as it was being built and decided that you were moving there???

Sal (<---checking property pages in local rag...)
Old 07 November 2002, 11:16 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

Tell him the new place has a better garage for the Scooby. If you're lucky it has two garage's and so you were hoping he'd get you one too.
Old 07 November 2002, 11:26 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Cool

Damn right about the garage

If it doesn't have one then you may find yourself looking for other accomodation via the local council

Old 07 November 2002, 11:36 AM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I hope the next topic is not going to be "I have just sold our house. Should I tell my (soon-to-be-ex) husband my new address?"
Old 07 November 2002, 11:38 AM
Loopylu
Scooby Newbie

Update....he took it quite well really, just shrugged and asked where we're moving to (which I didn't answer as I'm still working on that one ) I guess he knew I can be impulsive when he married me, right? And it's not like we've exchanged contracts yet.

Hubby posts on here sometimes and checks in daily so I figured he would work out what's going on, except after checking the replies this morning I thought perhaps I'd better tell him, before someone gives him the idea that my behaviour isn't normal

Didn't use the stockings and suspenders trick but will do when I tell him the price of the house I want I know I said it's out of our price range but not really, we just have a really small mortgage at the moment. We'll still be forking out less than 1/3 of monthly income on the mortgage which I don't think is too bad, right??

Ivor - I tend to think about things for a while before I tell my husband so I can have all the answers ready should I need to fight my case and then I get so engrossed as to why it's a good idea, I forget that I haven't actually told the other half

Dave T-S - nice try but not an issue as just had a baby, plenty enough other hormones flying around instead probably though!
Old 07 November 2002, 12:41 PM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

Wink

Don't tell him, just move it will take him a while to click on and will cause bemusement to the new family having a sitting tenant........
Old 07 November 2002, 12:47 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

UNDER THE THUMB OR WOT!!
Old 07 November 2002, 12:48 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

I read the first post and paniced...

then saw
mini-him
I have a daughter so thank FFT it wasn't my wife posting!!

Personally I'd go mental and refuse to move out of principle.. I get moaned at for buying something esential like a new tyre for example without consulting her first!

JGM
Old 07 November 2002, 05:30 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Just put on a full blown lezza shown with your best look girl mates

then when he gets home tell him the house is sold, if he goes mad stop rug munching, he he's sort of oh well carry on the rug munching & let him join in

Old 07 November 2002, 05:34 PM
Mr evolution
Scooby Regular

Fishy fishy
Old 07 November 2002, 06:40 PM
gossythevaleter
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd go mental and refuse to move out of principle.. I get moaned at for buying something esential like a new tyre for example without consulting her first! Quote

If my wife had done this i would go F**king Mental This is a major And i mean major Joint dissision between Parner and Partner sorry but you have been IMHO a total MUPPET

Old 07 November 2002, 10:33 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

<sheepishly puts up hand> That'll be my wife then!

Well I wanted to move to a bigger house anyway. This will not have been an impulse decision. We have discussed moving in the last year or two and dropped the idea, due to the fact we really like our street and community spirit (yes, we actually have that here!!!), and went for an extension instead. A recent planning permission refusal has put a downer on this, and the birth of our little one has only highlighted the small size of the place. Several houses have changed hands and the spirit of the street is not quite as it was a couple of years back. It's obviously been playing on both our minds and it's just like the missis to do this. If all the houses we visit are crap, and we walk back into ours and smile then we know we're cool to stay. If we find a better place for the right money we'll go for it like a shot.

When my wife told me the situation this morning, I was quite glad. I'm not under the thumb, as some of you have said, but I want to support my wife and family and will do whatever I can to do this. Making them happy is #1. I'm not a big decision maker - it took me >2 years to find a car to buy. I'm so laid back I'm horizontal so if it were left to me nothing would ever happen!!! If she asked me a week ago, I would have said 'go for it - let me know when you find something decent' anyway! She gets her kicks from the 'shopping experience' methinks . The financial decision is not a major one. Upgrading to another house will bump up our premiums by less than we voluntarily add to our premiums each month anyway (nice low mortgage ). My wife works (well worked, before baby turned up) in financial consulting and tax advice so I leave all the money stuff to her. Before you pipe up on trust issues, that is what marriage is about. I trust her to do this and do it throughly. After all she's just dumped a £15k savings account (from before we were married so was 'never joint money') to buy me a car so IMHO I'm not being short sighted by allowing her to do this.

I'm looking forward to moving to be honest. New house to decorate and all that. House Sold? Well not until the pen's on paper. There's no rush to get out of the house that's for sure - buyers market in most areas and we've got capital as well. The houses in our street sell like hot cakes when they're put up as well which is nice.

Now where did I put my apron and scrubbing brush ?

Joolz
PS. Thanks for the 'tell him before a ****' advice! )
Old 07 November 2002, 10:47 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

what, it worked???

Hmmm.... could get expensive if you want it more than once every few years...
Old 08 November 2002, 03:18 AM
Ralf
Scooby Regular

Fine the hubby loves it, but out of the blue my advice would have been

TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN