Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Passive smoking......

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2002, 10:36 AM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Personally i'd like to see smoking banned in most pubs,there's nowt worse than coming home with your clothes smelling of smoke.

The thing is its smells a bit like "health facism".....still hate it though...
Old 06 November 2002, 11:10 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I used to be a smoker, but now I've given up I'll add my own smug, self-indulgent and pious agreement to the above comment.
Old 06 November 2002, 11:10 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

I don't mind as long as they are proper ****. I don't want to inhale second hand Lambert and Butler for example.
Old 06 November 2002, 11:16 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I'm still a smoker and i'd like to see it banned everywhere.

I'd be the easiest way for me to give up (since i have absolutely no will power). Costs a b100dy fortune, between me and the g/f we spend more on cigs than we do on insurance for the scoob.

MarkO, well done for giving up. I tried a few times... best effort was 3 months
Old 06 November 2002, 11:17 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

MarkO, well done for giving up. I tried a few times... best effort was 3 months
Me and my wife haven't smoked for 3 years now.

Give up. You absolutely will not regret it (and after 6 months you'll wonder how you ever smoked at all).
Old 06 November 2002, 11:19 AM
sexy wrx69
Scooby Regular

i gave up almost 3 years ago now...and im one of those irritating reformed smokers. i cant stand the smell of it.

getting smoking banned from all public places would really help people out...healthier...no digusting smells on clothes and hair...and the money it would save people when they give up.

but realistically....it aint gonna happen
Old 06 November 2002, 11:20 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree. Never smoked in me life.

I mean, these things are 20p each FFS!!

Nothing a bunch of willpower can't take care of...
Old 06 November 2002, 11:21 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I mean, these things are 20p each FFS!!
King sized Snickers are nearly double that, but I could still get through 20-a-day.
Old 06 November 2002, 11:23 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Question

But not only is smoking big and clever....it make you look cool, and tough
Old 06 November 2002, 11:23 AM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

It'll be 4 weeks tomorrow for me, and probably the only thing keeping me going, apart from vast amounts of caffeine and fast food, is the passive smoking.

Ban in ? I'm encouraging it mate !

Old 06 November 2002, 11:27 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Think this is probably my best time to stop. Girlfriend has stopped at the moment and the sprog should be appearing some time this week. Guess the money saved will stop me getting paranoid about having a scoob with a wean to support.

K.. I'm stopping smoking right now.... work of warning though ... expect some grouchy posts for the next few weeks.
Old 06 November 2002, 11:58 AM
Luke
BANNED

Angry

And of course the world is their ashtray................

"Just drop the buts anywhere."
Old 06 November 2002, 12:01 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

Reformed smoker here and take it from me all you smokers...

YOU LOT STINK

and make me stink too when I've had to share breathing space with you so give up now, if I can then anyone can (22 yr habit)
Old 06 November 2002, 12:08 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I've been off the **** for a year now. Everyone is right about the smell of stale **** on your clothes etc etc.

But I definitely don't want to see a ban on smoking in public, especially in pubs. I don't mind people enjoying a cigarette, because everyone knows the risks and can make informed decisions as to whether they want to smoke or not.

I do support no smoking sections in buildings, I will always try to sit in the non-smoking sections of reataurants for example, but an outright ban is unnecessarily harsh.
Old 06 November 2002, 01:06 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
I gave up for 4 years then started again, second attempt lasted 18 months. Don't know why I started again. I've just given up again. Put my 1st patch on today. I'm really gagging for a *** but I won't have one. Me and my fella were spending at least £300 a month on smoking and we both stank!!! Wish me luck peeps!!
Old 06 November 2002, 01:12 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine died from lung cancer about a year ago, he was only 41 and had just given up smoking when he was diagnosed.

It took about 6 months for him to pass away after being told it was terminal and he said the most painful part was having his wife, young children, friends and family watch him slowly die.

So if you do smoke, ask yourself if you are willing to put your loved ones through that, because I certainly couldn't.

Gary (gave up smoking at 13)
Old 06 November 2002, 01:17 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
marty_t3, please please please don't let your girlfriend start again - I knew a girl who stopped for the pregnancy, then a month after started sneaking **** - WHY?? I don't know if she'll be one of these ***-Ash Sandras who like smoking next to the kid in the pram, I think these people deserve a bullet frankly.

Tip - work out how much it costs you and how much the kid costs you, see if that's an encouragement.
PostScript to Tip - no you are not allowed to give the kid up instead

Non-smoking areas in cafes and restaurants DO NOT EXIST in Lisbon - we mainly eat at home now
Old 06 November 2002, 01:19 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Wink

I know i'm being selfish,but its the smelly shell suit and reebocks when you get home from the pub........uuuurrrgghhh...
Old 06 November 2002, 01:45 PM
Nic
Scooby Regular

garycat- same story for me, friend on mine [aged 27] died this year from 2 types of lung cancer, treating one aggravated the other, she had never smoked. I'm more a social smoker but still trying to stop that
Old 06 November 2002, 02:07 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Brendan, Don't worry.. the girlfriend won't start smoking again. She gets all her money from me since she gave up her job to have the sprog. I just wont buy her any cigs Fortunately she's not the type to stand over a pram smoking, and she doesn't plan to start smoking again anyway

Red_dog... good luck...

If any more folk are stopping smoking today SN is gonna be a really bitchy place for the next while
Old 06 November 2002, 02:16 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

If any more folk are stopping smoking today SN is gonna be a really bitchy place for the next while
No change there, then.
Old 06 November 2002, 03:22 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bollocks to that - I could give up but dont want to.

Doesnt cost me owt cos I smoke rollies from abroad (OK maybe £5 a month), and dont care if I smell.

It's my choice to smoke, though I am a considerate smoker. I wont smoke in restaurants, when people are eating, in other peoples house/car, etc etc. To be honest, smokers are the new leppers these days - I often feel bad when having a ciggie, just for the looks you get from folk.

Personally if we are to ban ****, then I think we should ban alcohol as well - dreadful stuff
Old 06 November 2002, 03:25 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Passive drinking isn't so much of a problem though (although I'll admit it is irritating when it happens ).
Old 06 November 2002, 03:32 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LMFAO @ MarkO.

Its a bitch when that happens..
Old 06 November 2002, 03:39 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
I'm only giving up cause I want a kid!!! I'd carry on otherwise!!! I don't mind anyone smoking around me and don't think people should bow to pressure to give up. It's a personal choice. I'm giving up smoking for me, not anyone else. That's the way it should be
Old 06 November 2002, 03:47 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Drinking is a problem when it leads to 19 year olds getting killed for nowt though, as in Manchester on Saturday - evil stuff.
Old 06 November 2002, 03:48 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DW??
Old 06 November 2002, 03:53 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm only giving up cause I want a kid!!!
Hang on, I thought you were keeping the scoob and ditching the kid? Or doesn't the car like you smoking either?
Drinking is a problem when it leads to 19 year olds getting killed for nowt though, as in Manchester on Saturday - evil stuff.
I think you'll find that has more to do with it being Manchester than there being drink involved.
Old 06 November 2002, 04:16 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

Reformed smokers make me fecking sick. They partake in a habbit for years and years and then decide that they want to quit. Good luck to them. I really hope that they feel better for it and save a fortune......However,

It gets right on my t1ts when they spout off their sh1it about their clothes smelling, how uncomfortable they are in smokey pubs etc.

You didn't give a **** when you smoked so don't spout you tosh now. Be happy that you have kicked a habbit that will probably kill those that do smoke before too long and leave it at that.

Rant over.

Old 06 November 2002, 04:20 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Reformed smokers make me fecking sick. <snip> It gets right on my t1ts when they spout off their sh1it about their clothes smelling, how uncomfortable they are in smokey pubs etc.
Pffff. You're completely missing the point, then. I loved smoking (still would now, if I hadn't given up). The only pleasure I got out of quitting was the ability to take on a smug, self-satisfied and pious air with which to constantly berate 'lesser' smokers who - unlike myself - are too weak-minded to actually give up.

So don't rob me of that pleasure, otherwise I'd have to take up the dreaded weed again!

Quick Reply: Passive smoking......