Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Breakdown Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2002, 12:20 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry mate - yes - you get preferential rates for being a CSMA member - seems about half price.......

Loads of people are eligable to join, you or a member of your family needs to have worked in the Civil Service at some point, or work for an affiliated company.

See here

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 11/6/2002 12:21:28 PM]
Old 11 June 2002, 12:30 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Question

I remember being told years ago that the AA wouldn't tow you all the way home, or to you destination, but they would leave you at the end of their 'area' and you would have to wait for another patrol.

Sounds far fetched, is it? I've been left in the lurch by the RAC and their useless contractors before, so I might be investigating alternatives come renewal time...

Den

[Edited by Dirty_Den - 11/6/2002 1:05:44 PM]
Old 05 November 2002, 11:37 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Question

Looking at RAC and AA.

Trying to determine if the "entry level" offering for joint membership is the same on AA as RAC, i.e either person in any vehicle as driver or passenger?

Anyone know?

Cheers

Molds
Old 05 November 2002, 11:39 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Q: With AA Personal Membership, am I covered in any vehicle?
A: AA Personal Membership covers you on the road in any car or motorcycle. So, even if you are travelling in someone else's car or on their motorcycle as a driver or passenger, you can still rely on the AA to assist you in a breakdown.

Sorry, I'll get me coat...
Old 05 November 2002, 11:43 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

RAC £56
AA £58

Any recommendations?
Old 06 November 2002, 12:03 AM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have AA-its helped a couple if times when ive been in other peoples cars + they even brought my bike home when i smashed it once.They also fitted a new cam belt on an old car of mine that had snapped-it only cost £12 for the belt-and i didnt get my hands dirty!!!All i wanted was a tow home-good eh.
Old 06 November 2002, 10:08 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Easyrider, was that that bargain basement option, i.e. the entry level service?
cheers
Matt

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2002, 10:11 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

RAC are a bunch of useless tossers. When the bearings went on my mate's RIB trailer, they left us high and dry. The AA sorted it, and were cheaper. I'd go back to the AA in the future.

Check the website for offers though, there are loads, and also check magazines like Gardeners World - they were doing a promotion saving £7 a month on AA membership or so ago. Even if you don't buy the mag regularly, but get the promotion, you'll still save money.
Old 06 November 2002, 10:15 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

lol "RAC are a bunch of useless tossers."

I remembered your post about the trailer MarkO, but not who the breakdown cover was with.

AA 1 - RAC 0 so far then!

I may have to go out of town to buy a "Gardeners World" - must think of my reputation, and if the lads in the office saw it... :O

Cheers

Matt
Old 06 November 2002, 11:09 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I may have to go out of town to buy a "Gardeners World" - must think of my reputation, and if the lads in the office saw it...
Luckily, my wife buys Gardeners World, so I don't have to. Having said that, my Jag came with full roadside/breakdown assistance for free, and my wife's motor policy came with free AA cover too, so we've not had to pay a penny this year!
Old 06 November 2002, 11:13 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Bargain! On all accounts
Old 06 November 2002, 11:57 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Neither - Brittania Rescue all the way. Less than £70 for me and the missus, personal cover (so whatever car/bike/thing we are in or on whether we own it or not) and Fully Comp cover so roadside, relay, homestart etc etc etc. Fantastic value for money through the CSMA Superb service too when you need them
Old 06 November 2002, 11:59 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

CSMA?
Old 06 November 2002, 12:02 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Civil Service Motoring Association
Old 06 November 2002, 12:07 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the ignorance.

Does that mean you have to be a member of the CSMA to get the Britannia cover at that price?

Not sure exactly what ScoobyJawa is saying?

Ta
Old 06 November 2002, 12:16 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

With the AA myself. Broke down on the A329M weekend before last with a dead clutch. They sent out a lorry, as I specifically requested one, knowing that my car would not move an inch. Took a while getting to me, but that was the Sunday of major storms and breaking trees onto roads.

However, they towed me home - a distance of 91 miles, so well worth the £60 or whatever it is per year renewal, IMO.

I have Roadside Relay, which is basically covering you and upto 5 passengers with the chance to be taken anywhere in the country and the car taken to a destination of your choice.
Old 06 November 2002, 01:02 PM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
I'm with Direct Line, they have a really good deal. £50 for the works. Well worth it!
Old 06 November 2002, 01:04 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Den - the chap that came to tow me home didn't say anything about that - he even went beyond his shift-finish time to take me home.
Old 06 November 2002, 01:06 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Mice. I'll take a look at the AA when my cover is up for renewal.

Den
Old 06 November 2002, 01:17 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

A lorry wiped out my little corsa whilst I was travelling home from University a couple of years ago (Sheffield to Kent), once the car was off the motorway (request of the policeman) the AA picked me up in Northampton even though I wasn't a member, my Mum was and it was technically her car - so I rang up and explained, they did the right thing and tryed to call my insurer who was closed (office hours 9am - 5pm Mon to Fri?!?!!? ) and when they didn't answer said not to worry, they'd come and get me anyway!

It's right what they said about the areas though, I was taken from Northampton to South Mimms services and they swapped the car over to another lorry (took a whole 10 minutes) who took me back to Maidstone, I'd say that was pretty great service and the guys were *excellent* really kind considering a 44 ton lorry had just trashed my car! I wrote a letter of recommendation about the first driver, and they even replyed saying he would be rewarded and my comments had been passed to his manager Excellent service

Jen
Old 06 November 2002, 01:23 PM
south-star
Scooby Regular

With the AA too.Get the relay option,ie take you home if they cant fix it.
No point getting the one where they take you to the nearest garage.If its a major fault then what do you do?

Dont want to get stuck on the corner do you...
Old 06 November 2002, 06:07 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Molds-My AA is one of the upper level ones and it costs around about £100(roadside/relay/homestart)-not the cheapest but you do generally get what you pay for.
Old 06 November 2002, 06:21 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Guess the relay option makes sense. GF's liitle Pug isnt so bad if abandoned at an out of the way garage etc., but would want the Scoob taken home!
Old 06 November 2002, 11:46 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Option 100 (£58 Joint)
Roadside cover means assistance a quarter of a mile or more from your home. If the problem is not immediately repairable, you and your vehicle will be taken home or to the nearest garage, whichever is closer.

Option 200 (£99 Joint)
As well as Roadside cover, you get Relay, which means we will transport you, your car and up to seven passengers to your home or any other single UK mainland destination, if we can't arrange a prompt local repair.

Don't really understand the difference apart from the "up to seven passengers" bit?
Old 07 November 2002, 12:01 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

AA all the way. I now personally know all the AA guys in the area after 14 years of membership, but the best call yet was when my wife blew a cylinder on a Virago (she was trying to keep up with a zx6r ) Biggest problem here was that we were about 10 miles north of Bordeaux. The Virago was covered by RAC. Called them and they said if we could get back to the UK and let them know when we were arriving they might be able to get someone to take it to the nearest dealer. Called the AA in the UK. 2 hours later an English speaking guy in a van arrived. Offered to take both bikes or only one etc - ended up taking Virago, wife and all the luggage giving me a bit of 'freedom' to hammer back to Roscoff. I think it was about 400ish miles. Took the bike off with him that evening and came back the next morning when the ferry was due. Delivered the bike onto the ferry. Local AA guy met us in Cork and brought the bike 270 miles to Belfast and dropped it off at the dealer. Bike was still under warrenty so nice Mr dealer repaired it and only charged us for parts (about £7.00)
Old 07 November 2002, 07:25 AM
south-star
Scooby Regular

Option 100 (£58 Joint)
Roadside cover means assistance a quarter of a mile or more from your home. If the problem is not immediately repairable, you and your vehicle will be taken home or to the nearest garage, whichever is closer.

Option 200 (£99 Joint)
As well as Roadside cover, you get Relay, which means we will transport you, your car and up to seven passengers to your home or any other single UK mainland destination, if we can't arrange a prompt local repair.

Don't really understand the difference apart from the "up to seven passengers" bit?

The difference is the "whichever is closer bit".If you live in Scotland and break down in London option A means they take your car to a garage in London.If its a couple of days repair what do you do,wait or go home,then have to come back to collect.

Option B you can stipulate they take it home,you get it fixed at your normal garage,borrow parents car for a few days,Bobs your Uncle.

Take the option 200.I know the difference from experience.
Old 07 November 2002, 08:03 AM
Clare
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm still on my Dad's policy with the RAC! Don't pay a penny extra for me, even though I don't live with them and haven't for 8 years!

The AA are good. I remember when I was 19 and stranded on the M25. They picked me up and took me to the nearest services. No charge which was very nice of the man in the shiny yellow uniform
Old 07 November 2002, 09:57 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for their input.

I know I could have just phoned the AA and RAC to ask my questions, but I wanted to hear about personal experiences.

I shall now go and join up with the AA (Joint) Roadside+Relay.

Thanks again

Matt