Malicious phone calls again......

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2002, 02:34 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Okay,

It's been covered a few times but is there anyone in here who could maybe help with a solution that might be stretching the legal boundaries in our favour - e.g. devices or services that are maybe not quite legal in a similar way to radar detectors, not illegal to own but illegal to use (not that anyone in here would condone this)

We're on BT; we've had a couple of calls in the middle of the night, no talking and a withheld number.

Options as far as I’ve been made aware are,

1) Contact Police who in conjunction with BT will trace. – Maybe needs to be a persistent caller before they’d pursue this?
2) Bar all withheld numbers – tried this but doesn’t work because that also stops some work related calls coming from within mini exchanges (usually offices where a 9 is required for an outside call - like my work).
3) BT says we can choose to call bar the number being used by dialing 12458 after the next call (before using 1471).

Option 3 is probably best but we would like to know where this call is coming from, is there anything available that can trace calls like this or do BT have to set something up first before a trace will work.

Any thoughts/views ?

Thanks.
Old 04 November 2002, 02:36 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Option 3 is your only option.

BT know who it is but the data protection act stops them telling you.
Old 04 November 2002, 02:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

I'm pretty sure BT can do this, but whether they'd tell you is another matter.
I had a similar thing happening when my mother was seriously ill in hospital. Phone rings in ht e dead of night, guess what I thought?
After I complained to BT, they gave me a new xD number the next day for free.
Alcazar
Old 04 November 2002, 03:53 PM
xyzpaul
Scooby Regular

Report it to the police, then report it to BT telling them that you've informed the police. They will take it seriously even if you're a bloke.

Then when you've had another malicious call, dial 1671 (or some other number) and BT will register the details of the call, regardless of 141, blocking etc.

These arseholes need to be caught. Could just be kids though...
Old 04 November 2002, 04:08 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Sure it's not one of these infernally annoying "cold-call" companies?

I had one Saturday where the calls started at 3:30am and preceeded every half an hour until 11am. Same scenario - no talking, number withheld... I called BT and they gave me the code to block them. The next call I got I answered as usual and it was NTL offering their services. After that call, the odd ones stopped.

Could be coincidence, but most likely not...
Old 04 November 2002, 04:21 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

Buy yourself a rape alarm and let the ****** off at him/her mext time they call. It'll burst their eardrums and they won't do it again.
Old 04 November 2002, 04:42 PM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for the replies, might try the Police route actually - I'm keen to find out who it is then get some 'consultants' advice from Astraboy on how to deter
Doubt if they were flogging anything 5 O'clock Sat morning then 1 O'clock on Monday morning.
Old 04 November 2002, 04:43 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Question

so is there a code you can enter that blocks all withheld numbers? If so what is it?

Gary
Old 04 November 2002, 05:58 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As Mice-Elf said,its probably one of those "cold call" companies,a few use a computer system that dials numbers on their database,then in theory if someone answers their phone it puts the call straight through to one of their available operators,if too many people answer their phone at the same time and there arent enough operators to cope, it hangs up.I think its to save time/money on calls where people dont answer the phone--hope this helps/puts your mind at rest.

p.s better add that i dont work for any of these annoying companies before anyone sends any hate mail
Old 04 November 2002, 06:52 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

We had the same problem at my mums house
all times of the night the phone would ring and leave a message on the answerphone,it sounded like a computer noise(you know when someone picks up the phone and your on the net(56kdialup)just noise)
This went on every night for months,there was a number left but when you phoned it back it was a unknown number??

My mum phoned Bt who have a service where if you get crank calls you type in a number on your phone and it barrs the last number that called you.you can barr upto 10 numbers i think.
I dont know if it works with witheld numbers ,call Bt and ask them.

SN
Old 04 November 2002, 07:51 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

We had a similar probem a little while ago, had some tosser ringing up telling us all about how he was shooting up with drugs, he's then ring back totally off his face threatening to kill my g/f etc. This went on for a few nights.

Spoke to BT and they suggested using that option where you can 'choose to refuse' the number and they can't call back. I wasn't happy with this as a solution and they then setup proper tracing. When you get a nuisance call you simply press a key and it will be traced.
Either by coincidence or whatever we didn't get any more calls anyway.

BT also advised not to 'rise' to the bait of these weirdos. Don't say anything, don't hangup straight away - just put the phone down on the side and walk off to do something else for 10minutes or so. Infuriates the caller as it is a response that most of them get off on, so try and resist having a go at them!

Hope you get it sorted.
Old 05 November 2002, 06:27 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

I'd go with JasonWrx's solution - buy a whistle and blow it as hard as you can down the phone. Pop goes the eardrum.
Old 05 November 2002, 08:58 AM
Skoobie Dhu
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, probably go with something along the lines of Mooseracer and get it traced to stop it for good. If we do find out who's involved I'll let you know - including any relevant contact details should any of you wish to discuss the issue with the troublesome individual

Thanks.