Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Which Radar Detector to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2002, 05:43 PM
skoobyRA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just got one on trial but doesn't beep or flash until right beside Gatso's and drove past hand held laser gun today and thing didn't even register anything,so will be returning this one,I will add this is only a cheaper one.Also,do these things detect the hand held lasers as these really are the main ones you need warning of as they seem to be appearing all over the place at random now. Just wondered if there is a recommended one to get and what price they are,have been told the Road Angel is best but would like to know from someone that actually has one.Surely the dearer ones should have a better range for picking up the signals. Cheers Martin
Old 31 October 2002, 06:10 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

SkoobRA,

There are plenty of threads on this if you dig around. Also visit the website ukspeed_traps.co.uk for some good advice.

You gets what you pays for so don't be surprised you got burnt.

Keeping it simple, if you want to track non radar emitting cameras/devices eg Truvelo cameras or SPECS systems then you need a GPS based system to do so. If you want to track radar emitting cameras/devices, eg Gatso, then you need a traditional radar detector.

As my licence is precious to me I use both. However I see Snooper have just brought out a "single" device that does both jobs in one. Its not cheap but hey, you pays ya money....

You can use a laser jammer to counteract hand held devices, however their legality is questionable (ie they are not considered to be legal but no one has brought a test case yet). The other devices I refer to ARE legal.

WB
Old 31 October 2002, 06:31 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Beltronics Euro 550 gets a thumbs up from me
Old 31 October 2002, 06:44 PM
skoobyRA
Scooby Regular

Just been reading about Snooper S5,£349,that sounds like it it detects camera's and laser guns from reasonable distances,but does it I wonder,might see if they will let me try that one.Have heard that Snoopers have habit of bleeping at every traffic light as well though!! Martin
Old 31 October 2002, 07:01 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Agree UKspeedtraps is the biz.

It's pointless to detect laser guns as they only take a fraction of a second to measure your speed, by the time you have reacted to the beep from the detector it's about 100 times too late, you're already nicked.

The laser jammer sounds like the only answer.

If I ever went faster than the limit I would use a geodesy to detect fixed sites and would seriously consider a jammer for the lasers.
Old 31 October 2002, 08:23 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
if your not bothered on costs go for valentine1 they come up the best on any review anywhere but there about £500
Old 31 October 2002, 08:32 PM
davek
Scooby Regular

agree with skunk,
bel euro 550 well worth the money, IMHO.
no probs with hidden mobile cameras either.

Trending Topics

Old 31 October 2002, 08:38 PM
skoobyRA
Scooby Regular

What price are the bell euro 550 then?
Old 31 October 2002, 09:47 PM
Ian 20
Scooby Newbie

Networx automotive were doing a Scoobynet group buy for the Bel Euro 550 a few months ago for £320. I bought one and it is very good.

As well as the above websites Autoexpress magazine last week did a review of GPS and Radar/Laser detectors, go to www.autoexpress.co.uk and click on Product Tests and then click on the relevant reports. From memory the cheap detectors were about as much good as **** on a fish but once you spend £250 upwards you can get some good kit...

[Edited by Ian 20 - 10/31/2002 9:48:57 PM]