Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are Treadmills Any Good for General Weight Loss ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2002, 11:14 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Thinking about geting one just to lose a few pounds (here and there ) Is running good for weight loss or just for general fitness ? (I intend to change my diet aswell)

Next question if they are any good - should I get a "powered" one or one that is powered by your feet (If that makes sense )

Many thanks

Matt
Old 24 October 2002, 11:20 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Running's very good for weight loss! Actually, walking fast is better for fat burning and running better for getting fit.

Running on a treadmill will take you longer to lose fat and get fit that running on the roads.

It's all to do with having to push yourself off the surface. A powered runner requires less 'push off' than road running.

Plus, you look a tw@t if you're running along the road and decide to stop and walk!
Old 24 October 2002, 11:36 PM
ChrisB

Just need to keep your heart rate in the fat burn zone, rather than flat out. For me, that's around 150/155 bpm.

Is that aerobic or anaerobic? I can't remember which.
Old 24 October 2002, 11:40 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Aerobic
Old 25 October 2002, 04:09 AM
Contigo
Scooby Regular

What's wrong with going for a good old run?

Also if you want to get fit/lose weight then get a rowing machine. There is nothing finer IMO.

Old 25 October 2002, 07:05 AM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

A good quality exercise bike is a good idea too, also less shock on your knees (magnetic flywheel).
Old 25 October 2002, 09:10 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

fat zone = load of pants, invented by people just after the Jane Fonda era when they realised they were to fat and ugly to work out properly so they make up some cack about training at 70%.

seen a gut on a 100m runner latley? 70% my ****.

IMO

T
Old 25 October 2002, 09:25 AM
brooks
Scooby Regular

From what I understand from scientific studies, its not just what you burn during the exercise session but also what you burn afterwards. In tests which have been doen very long low efforts (which are often referred to as fat burning) burnt less calories than multiple intense efforts with recovery between. This is because the intense effort continued to 'burn calories' long after the excecise ceased.

You may also want to consider a good quality rowing machine ( get instruction on technique).

On food try to eat nothing above 8% fat content (not including water). If you need cake try malt loaf with no fat on it. Eat weetabix no muesli. No biscuit, crisps or chocolate. Careful on your nuts (vey high fat). Eat fish. No processed meat products. A big tip - drink lots and lots of water.

Walk when you can, don't drive. Stairs not lifts. Cycle to work (it aint that bad - I do it).

Good luck.
Old 25 October 2002, 09:33 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Make sure you eat some brekkie to kick you metabolism off

Don't try too hard to cut fat from your diet - look a reducing your overall calorie intake

You don't lose loads more fat doing intense workouts but you will get fitter, so go for it
Old 25 October 2002, 09:38 AM
ChrisB

http://www.fitamerica.com/site/healwell/exercise.asp
Old 25 October 2002, 10:09 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

from the above site:

"You may not even break a sweat yet your exercise effort will still be effective. In fact, experts tell us that if you elevate your heart too high, (following the "no pain no gain" concept) will be counter-productive when it comes to fat burn and weight management."

this is pants stuff invented for lazy yanks who pay good money to the people spouting this codswallop because they just love to hear how they can lose weight while still stuffing their fat faces with KFC.

Higher intensity work will burn more cals, these dont just disapear, the body needs to replace this burt energy and will use fat stores to do this job long after the workout has ended.

two examples:

1. swimmers, now this breed of saddos go to their local pool and will tell you how they do 100's of lengths every day as if thats some sort of olympic achievment. oh well done, you floated forwards for an hour!

most of these floaters are doing a very lazy stroke rate or breast stroke at best. They are horizontal in the water so the heart gets a day off as it doesnt need to do much work to pump blood round a horizontal body. this is your 70% group.

(nb. ignore swimmers who get in the pool and go hell for leather- they are working, fair play. But they are rare)

2. me. The MOST weight i ever lost was when i decided to spend 6 months doing my legs which lacked a bit of size. so every 3rd day for 6 months i went to the gym and did Squats or dead lifts- nothing else. i NEVER worked out for more than 30 mins and was not in the gym more than 45 mins top. However, the work rate was huge- heart rate at max for the short period and i often threw up afterwards and struggled to walk.
6 months later, legs huge- fat gone, i was ripped, no running, jogging, aerobics, blah, blah and i ate like a horse. this was also one of the few times i was not drug assisted so no short cuts.

so there you go, run for fat loss but if your little polar heart meter (arnie never had one of them) says your going to quick but you feel good then chucked your heart meter in a bush and speed up just to pi55 it off.

T
Old 25 October 2002, 10:14 AM
ChrisB

so there you go, run for fat loss but if your little polar heart meter (arnie never had one of them) says your going to quick but you feel good then chucked your heart meter in a bush and speed up just to pi55 it off.
LMAO Tiggs

What would I know, I've only lost 3 1/2 stone since I started going down to the gym
Old 25 October 2002, 10:14 AM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

I find that a brisk walk to the pub on a Friday and Saturday night is all I need to maintain my fighting weight.

Old 25 October 2002, 11:40 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Tiggs, everyone is different!

The 70% level is the perfect zone for losing weight and burning off the lard!

Imagine a morbidly obese person pushing their heart rate to the level of a similarly aged fit person!

Cardiac arrest would be the only gain for the Rick Whaller type person!
Old 25 October 2002, 11:56 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"Cardiac arrest would be the only gain for the Rick Whaller type person!"

good, feed half of Africa on what that lazy, greedy, self control lacking, greedy, moaning, greedy bloater get through.

T

ps- i ran a gym for years- never had a "zone" chart on the wall and would not have given Rick Wadler a membership!
Old 25 October 2002, 12:00 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You seem a touch 'fattist', Tigg!!

I must admit, I too can't understand how people allow themselves to get so disgustingly overweight.
Old 25 October 2002, 12:23 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

try chewing your food 20 times and drink lots of water during a meal. The mushed food and water expands filling your stomach, making it more likely that you will eat less.

The problem with big fat rik is that he seems to eat a whole cake per chew
Old 25 October 2002, 02:54 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Wink

**** more and eat less you lazy fat bloaters!!!

How about colonic irrigation to get rid of half a stone?

Gordo
Old 25 October 2002, 03:00 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

But if you chew your food 20 times, that's 19 possible mouthfuls you've lost.

Or am I missing the point?
Old 25 October 2002, 03:16 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I eat what I like (about 3000-4000 kcal/day) and do little or no exercise. My weight has remained at about 12st6lb (I'm 6ft, so it's about perfect) for the last 2 years (I used to be half a stone heavier but lost that weight over Christmas 2001).

I feel really sorry for all you fat b@stards who have to cut down on your food intake and do jogging, etc.

Not.
Old 25 October 2002, 03:27 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It doesn't mean you're healthy and your heart is in good nick though!

12st 6lbs is a touch underweight for your height - unless you're built like Kate Moss!
Old 25 October 2002, 03:33 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Actually, my BMI means I'm in the upper section of 'normal'. If I was over 13st I'd be overweight (although anyone who's met me will testify to me not exactly being 'chubby'.

Oh, and the heart's fine - I get plenty of exercise walking to/from the snack machine and the sweetshop.
Old 25 October 2002, 03:35 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

BMI = Bollox!

I'm 6'1" and just short of 15st - obese by the BMI. Yet I've trained 5-6 days per week for the past 11yrs.
Old 25 October 2002, 03:37 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

I've got a cross trainer and one of those exercise benches that relies on your own bodyweight for resistance, brilliant (albeit a touch expensive) clothes horses.

Oh and by the way I am just short for my weight!
Old 25 October 2002, 03:38 PM
princessyin
Scooby Regular

What I do when I visit the gym is walk uphill for about 5mins then run for 2mins and do this 2/3 times
Old 25 October 2002, 03:42 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

What I do when I visit the gym is walk uphill for about 5mins then run for 2mins
When I was a member of a gym I usually drove there. If I join one again, I'll make sure it's a level walk from my house.
and do this 2/3 times
Does it take you a few attempts to make it there then?
Old 25 October 2002, 03:45 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Get a cross trainer........ much better.. a non impact workout......

Also a quote metioned something about "...watching the fat content "

Don't worry so much about that......... watch out for the Carbo content......

If you're eating high volumes of carbs and not burning them off then they will just get stored as FAT......

Reduce you Carbo intake, monitor the FAT intake and watch the weight drop off you..........

Fat is required by the body and essetially if you're about to increse you exercise watch it...

Cheers
Old 25 October 2002, 10:00 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I've got a decent powered treadmill in the garage with a TV and video in front of it. I don't ever run on it, but walking however is a different matter... I'm not running not coz I'm lazy (even though I am) but I knackered my ankle parachuting a few years back and can't run for more than a minute or two without nasty pain (or ) so speedy walking only for me.
I used to have a "leg powered treadmill" and it was sh!te.

With a decent diet (everything low fat, cut down on dairy, eat good lean meat, etc) and not too many of the Stella Sauces, I can lose a stone gradually over a couple of months by walking 3 miles 4-5 times a week.

Motivation is the only difficult bit.
Joolz
5'10 & 13-14.5 St (depending on motivation!)
Old 25 October 2002, 10:57 PM
cfc
Scooby Regular

BEEN LISTENING TO YOUR REPLIES AND IT BOILS DOWN TO THIS ITS CALORIE INTAKE V CALORIE EXPENDITURE FATS ZONES EXSIST BUT THEY ARE NOT THE MOST EFFICIENT THE HIGH THE INTENSITY THE BETTER THE FAT BURN, BUT THIS TIME DURATION FOR THIS DEPENDS ON HOW FIT U R THE LESS FIT GET EXHAUSTED QUITE EARLY. EXERCISING IN THE FAT BURN AREA MEANS LONGER TIME EXERCISING AND LESS "FAT" CALORIES BURNT. SO ANY MODERATE TO HIGH INTENSITY EXERCISE IS GOOD FOR YOU... SPINNING CLASSES IN MY EXPERIENCE ARE THE BEST MOD TO HIGH INTNESITY AND NO IMPACT ON THE JOINTS RUNNING ON THE STREETS MODERATE INTENSITY BUT IMPACT ON ANKLES AND KNEES, CYCLING GOOD BUT DANGEROUS.. SWIMMING LOW TO MODERATE INTENSITY EXCELLENT FOR THE JOINTS AND HEART...
INTAKE.... THE GOLDEN KEY HERE IS CARBOHYDRATES, BREAD POTOTES RICE PASTA ECT CUT DOWN!!!!!! VEG MEAT FISH ARE ALL FINE... SUGAR IN MODERATION ...ALCOHOL IM AFRAID IS A NO.
ALL THIS FOOD IS CONVERTED TO GLYCOGEN AND SITS IN YOUR MUSCLES TO BE USED UP AS ENERGY, AFTER YOUR METABOLISM {ENERGY FOR INTERNAL WORKING ORGANS)HAS TAKEN ITS SHARE AND ANY EXERCISE DEMANDS ARE DEALT WITH, AND THE REST IS CONVERTED TO FAT THE FOODS FIRST MENTIONED ARE THE FOODS HIGH IN CARBOHYDRATE THE SECOND GROUP WITH STILL GIVE YOU LOW LEVELS OF CARBS BUT THE PROTEIN AND MINERALS THAT YOU NEED THE SUGAR KEEPS YOU SANE.
THE LESS GLYCOGEN YOU HAVE IN YOUR MUSCLES THE QUICKER YOUR FAT STORES ARE REVERTED TO THE MORE FAT IS BURNED. START OFF AT A MODERATE INTENSITY AND AS YOU GET FITTER A HIGHER LEVEL OF INTENSITY CAN BE REACH THE MORE EFFICIENT THE FAT BURN....
Old 26 October 2002, 12:14 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Why don't you all write a book - that's what everyone else with conflicting opinions do! 'It's not the actual calories, its what colour sofa you sit on when you eat that counts'... It's simple - more out than in leads to weight loss - whether you are eating Chicken Tikka Massala or Celery all day!

Now, since I favour the Chicken Tikka massala route more than the dark green and crunchy path, I need an elliptical trainer!

Anyone know these? The idea of an Arnie chest and a calorie burnout appeals more than just a simple excercise cycle.

Any comments/info much appreciated!

D

Quick Reply: Are Treadmills Any Good for General Weight Loss ?