Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Job Search. the personal approach?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2002, 12:00 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Do people still apply for jobs using the personal approach?

"Story"
Iv been told by lots of people, when looking or applying for a job the personal approach is a good method (Not using the post)
So i decided to turn up to a company today with my CV, Covering letter and some design work.
i knew who was the head of Engineering, so i asked to see this person at reception. She call the bloke and told me to take a seat.

i waited for 2 minutes and the bloke came. as he walked to me he looked at me and put his hands in his pocket(sign he was not willing to shake hands with me)
first word to me was "WHO ARE YOU?" i told him who i was and i had my CV with me and i was very keen on working for the company.
he said "I DONT HAVE TIME FOR YOU, CALL BACK AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT" [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Just as i was going to ask him something he turned and walked away from me. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

So i take it people dont like the extra effort i put in?
Should i still call back?
Please Tell me if i did wrong?

Ray
Old 24 October 2002, 12:21 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't say you did anything wrong there.. just chancing your arm ... I've done something similar myself... It didn't work but i at least got a better response. The guy you met could have at least said "sorry i'm very busy at the moment, but if you like you can forward your details to HR" or something similar.
Old 24 October 2002, 12:26 AM
deek
Scooby Newbie

I got my very first real job using this approach. CV in one hand, examples of my work in the other. Visited _every_ firm in my field in two cities and literally the last one left on my list asked me to come back and speak to the Senior Partner - from that point on it was plain sailing. I'd spent a good few weeks trudging through the task and, just as I'd given up hope, the result came through.

Good luck, is all I can say - most will won't speak to you, some might speak to you, but not be able or willing to offer you anything, eventually, if you're lucky someone will bite!
Old 24 October 2002, 12:31 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

I think what you did was fine. One of the major hurdles trying to get a job is making yourself stand out amongst all the other people trying too. Your 'personal approach' will do this really well as most people hide behind e-mails and letters these days.

The guy sounds like a right 5nob, would you really wanted to work for him?
Old 24 October 2002, 01:43 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

My Sister thinks i did wrong.
she said i should have made an appointment and i should phone him up for an appointment just to **** him off.
My sister also said. if he likes me l'll have the upper hand.

i dont know??
Old 24 October 2002, 07:08 AM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

Angry

Name and shame the ********
Old 24 October 2002, 07:19 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I have to say, I totally agree with the guy. What you did was pretty unprofessional in a business context. In the same position, my reaction would have been totally the same.

Think about it, for a minute. You pitched up, unsolicited, and asked specifically to speak to this guy purely on the basis that you knew he was head of engineering, despite having no personal connection with him. He's probably busy, and may not even handle recruitment himself. Not to mention the fact that the company may not actually need any new staff right now.

How did you get his name? If you didn't know him personally previous to turning up in the reception lobby, then why did you expect him to take time out of what is probably a busy day for him (if he's head of engineering) just to speak to you? When you asked to see him did you give a reason, or was he just called out because "there's some bloke in reception who wants to speak to you".

The courteous thing to do would have been to either write a letter or phone his secretary, requesting an appointment and outlining your reasons for contacting him. Then he could have made time for you if he was interested, or could have delegated it to somebody if he was too busy.

The 'personal' touch is all very well and good, but you can't just stroll into a company and expect senior people to drop everything to come and listen to your sales pitch. They say that people make their opinions in interviews by first impression in the initial 11 seconds - I suspect that your unprofessional approach has probably blown any chance you might have of getting a job at this company.
Old 24 October 2002, 07:21 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Name and shame the ********
Oh, and I know this is Scoobynet, and the 'name & shame' culture is deeply ingrained in everyone here, but is it strictly necessary to call for it in every thread? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Slagging somebody off on a public forum because they didn't have time to give you an unsolicited interview for a company which may not even be recruiting is hardly the best way to go about improving your career prospects.
Old 24 October 2002, 07:42 AM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

Could save somebody else from a similar fate

Total respect for having a go, keep at it, not all employers are arrogant idiots.

I've got no time for arrogant idiots. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 24 October 2002, 07:46 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Why don't you call him back and make an appointment - like he asked you to
Old 24 October 2002, 07:49 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

It's nothing to do with arrogance. It's to do with busy people not having time to keep popping out to reception for chats with people they've never met before.

How do you know the head of engineering wasn't pulled out of a project meeting to come out? How do you know he wasn't mid-way through writing a report or working on something which needed to be finished by the end of the day? Imagine if 10 or 15 people a day pitched up looking for work in this way - the poor guy would never get anything done!

The personal approach isn't the issue here. It's the unsolicited nature of the approach. Common courtesy and professionalism says that Ray should have made an appointment to see the guy. It was Ray who was arrogant to assume that the head of engineering would have time enough to drop everything and come out and see him.
Old 24 October 2002, 07:58 AM
Luke
BANNED

Dont "Cold call".. Phone/write first,Let them expect you.
Old 24 October 2002, 08:30 AM
bros2
Scooby Regular

I recruit for a department of 50+ people. If someone turned up at my place unannounced, I'd be surprised, but would at least take the time to talk to them for a few minutes. I'd then be able to suss out straightaway whether they're hopelessly unsuitable or have at least a glimmer of hope. If there are possbilities, I'd ask for a CV and take it from there.

To be honest though, a phone call would be far better, followed up by an e-mailed CV immediately following the conversation. Saves time on all sides.

bros

Old 24 October 2002, 08:31 AM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

Agree with MarkO, etc. Be direct in the approach in a businesslike manner, i.e. cold call to request an appointment or understand the procedure.
Old 25 October 2002, 05:54 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thank you for the tips everyone

MarkO

i see would you mean but you reply was a bit OTT. i dont know when the last time you was hunting for a job but its very difficult these days . im just trying to do some thing diffrent that would make me stand out from everyone else .
I didnt come on here to slag anyone off. i was just here to get views from everyone.

Well i know what to in the future.
I think this experience has put me off the idea of working for this company now. it seems like I didnt make a good first impression with the man but he also didnt make a good first impression with me.
A friend didn ask the man and he did say call back or send a e-mail but i think i'll give it a miss. i might crap my-self if i come face to face with him again

Ray
Old 25 October 2002, 06:03 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Talking

Good job every thing i do these days is another learning experiance. well i can always look back at this and think to my-self. "What did i learn from this?"

1. dont call out of the blue.
2. keep trying.
3. Scoobynet is a good place to get advice
4. MarkO has strong views (thank you. i see what you mean)

i dont know if there are any Engineers on scoobynet (probaly mainly IT) but Engineering is a very difficult field to get in to. not to many jobs going
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

A tip I was given when searching for a job is to print your CV onto a different coloured paper - light yellow or very light blue or something - that way it is easily distinguishable in amongst the sheaf of white CVs stacking up on someone's desk.

Hope you find a job soon.

Mice.
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

i see would you mean but you reply was a bit OTT.
Was it? I didn't think I was doing anything other than explaining a point of view different from your own. Since several other people have agreed, I hardly thing I was being particularly controversial. You asked for advice and opinion, I gave it.
i dont know when the last time you was hunting for a job but its very difficult these days
Five years ago, actually, and I appreciate that it's difficult. However, just because the job market's low shouldn't stop me telling you that I think you did something silly, particularly as you asked for opinions on the subject.
im just trying to do some thing diffrent that would make me stand out from everyone else .
Fair enough, and it's good that you're trying to think 'outside the box'. Anything that can set you apart from all the other muppets who are applying for your job is a good thing.
I didnt come on here to slag anyone off. i was just here to get views from everyone.
I didn't slag you off either, I just gave my opinion. Having interviewed many people for several positions, you soon learn what will and won't be acceptable in a professional situation, and what will put you off a potential candidate immediately.

For example, if somebody sent me an unsolicited box of Quality Street with a CV inside, that would induce a good state of mind and also get you noticed above the other candidates. Being dragged out to reception wouldn't, which was the only point I made.
Old 25 October 2002, 06:05 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Mice_Elf

nice idea. i'll have to try that with job advertisements from newspapers. iv got nothing to loose.

Ray

Now what colour to use?
Old 25 October 2002, 06:10 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Now what colour to use?
Subaru blue, obviously (see the other thread "Scoob just got me a job").
Old 25 October 2002, 06:10 PM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Yellow, blue or green are the best colours. According to colour therapy, anyway.

Yellow is a "sunny" colour - happiness
Blue is a "calming" colour
Green is a "neutral" colour

Not red, though....

Oh and the text still needs to show up cleanly.