Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Going to Ireland- What to do & see ??

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2002, 05:13 PM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Ireland for a break for 4 days nest week Tues-Sat, arrive in Dublin then have 4 days to travel.
Was going to head down the coast to Cork ??
Who's been ?
What a must to see?
Apart from the Guiness brewery !!
Old 23 October 2002, 06:27 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Much prefer Cork to Dublin as its the home of Murphys!

Also just down the road from Cork is a place called Cobh, this is the last place the Titanic stopped before the ill fated voyage.

You can also 'kiss the Blarney Stone' if you go to Cork.
Old 23 October 2002, 08:53 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Question

Are you flyin' or drivin' coz Dublin to Cork is a hell of a drive as de roads are CR4P. Super unleaded rarer than bitter over there! Drivers are nightmares but the craic is mighty especailly if you like Guinness/Murphys.

JB
Old 23 October 2002, 10:13 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Dublin to Cork is indeed a fair drive, however taking detours through Kilkenny and Waterford will give you plenty to see. Cork is a fantastic city, good night life and much friendlier than the big city Dublin.

Whilst there take in Blarney, fantastic chippy facing the village green, kiss the stone etc.

Don't forget to catch the sights of Dublin, as well.

Oh and watch your speed, the local Garda can be a little tetchy about it.
Old 23 October 2002, 11:32 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dublin to COrk would be approx 180 miles
Longest part of your journey will be leaving Dublin
Traffic is a nightmare there ... very very bad at times
As mentioned before Cork has many tourist attractions
some of which IMHO aren't worth the effort
take the Blarney stone for instance .. Lets all kiss a big rock ... wow unless of course that would be your kinda thing ... different strokes for different folks and all that
Cobh is worth a visit ... have a look at the Titanic museum there
You should also try Youghal which is quite close also
Its a very picturesque Town where the Movie Moby Dick was filmed once upon a time
Fota wildlife park is also near enough to that area .. big wild animal park .. cheetahs , Kangaroos , Giraffes all that kinda thing in a safari type surrounding . You can drive the car in there AFAIK
Down by the Cork/Kerry border is probably one of the most scenic spots in Ireland ... Glengarrif , Bantry and Castletownbere are all really beautiful areas to see around there
Only thing is the weather aint the best at the mo but thats Ireland for ya !
Hope this helps you some bit
I'm off now to apply for a job with the Irish tourist board lol

===
Niall
Old 23 October 2002, 11:44 PM
NAF
Support Scoobynet!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Oh and definatly try Murphys in Cork
It kicks Guinness's ***
Old 24 October 2002, 12:03 AM
Crypt
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Depends what your into really, IMO Dublin is the tops for a night out. However if your into touristy stuff then cork and the likes yer place.

Some of my family are based over there and it's the most riendly place I know. In fact I to am over there this weekend, cruising the temple bar and there abouts.
Old 24 October 2002, 10:16 AM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

Talking

....probably you won't see much except rain in my experience Drive out around West Cork and Kerry - the scenery is beautiful. Agree the roads are well dodgy but at least they drive in the hard shoulder to let you past Watch out for pot holes, lanes merging together with no warning, people going the wrong way down one way streets - that sort of stuff.
Old 24 October 2002, 11:32 AM
JimmyRB5PRO
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice !
I am in fact committing a sin and not taking the Scooby - taking the financee's car ! Eayer on petrol and we can both drive it - so when i've had to much of the black stuff !!! She can drive, so their is method in my madness.
Plan to stay in Dublin for first night and then drive down to cork and visit a couple of places mentioned on here ! Doesn't look like we will be doing much sun bathing with the current weather !!
Cheers, anyone any good and reasonable places to stay in Dublin ???
Old 24 October 2002, 12:31 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Take a copy of McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy with you.

Its about travelling around Southern and Western Ireland and is one of the funniest books I have ever read. You will laugh out loud reading it, much to the annoyance of your companions
Old 24 October 2002, 12:33 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Talking

There are plenty of places to stay in Dublin, just depends on budget and exaclty what u want, Jurys In Christchuch would ba good all rounder IMHO not too pricey, and close enuff to the city centre, also u can walk Dublinia in Christchurch and the guiness Storehouse, close to grafton St too so u can do some shopping... as for route to Cork, if u can leave early between 7-8am it get most of the traffic out of the way, although u will be going against it on the way to Cork... head towards Naats, then Carlow, Killkenny, then kinda Waterford to Cork its the nices route by far regradless of the weather, BTW we have some seroius flooding here the last week, so be carelful with hidden dips etc...

get to the pub early so u can settle down

Cheers
Old 24 October 2002, 12:35 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I drove from Cork to Waterford and back again (before they put the dual carriageway in) and hardly dropped below 75 indicated (except through the towns, obviously). The roads are wide enough for three vehicles, and the people you come across pull over to let you overtake

Never seen that in the UK
Old 24 October 2002, 08:30 PM
JFB
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL at Pete Croney. An absolute must. Bring McCarthy's Bar and forget the passport. And if you find that "Convent" he refers to where you can get B&B plus evening meal seafood platter etc for about £30!!!!!!!!!! please email me the location and cc Pete too! From memory, it's somewhere between Cork & Kerry I think. The holy grail according to Mr McCarthy.

JB
Old 24 October 2002, 10:03 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Belfast for a top night out - 100 miles from Dublin

Go to the Tatu >> The Northern Wig >> The Apartment.

Then head up the north east coast to the Giant's causeway, visit Glen Ariff forest park, some top coast roads then the Ora Scenic Route.

Believe it or not you can do that in a day with an early start !! Seriously i would consider 1 day in Dublin, 1 in Cork, 1 in Donegal/Derry then one round the NE coast to get to Belfast and home again to Dublin.

As an irish man i would recommend action packing your days to see alot or alternately grab a quite village, some decent beer (none of your english ****e) and let the world wash by whilst enjoying the stunning views.
Old 24 October 2002, 10:06 PM
Riftzone
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

killarney (sp?) has some fantastic roads. watch out fer those flashin red traffic lights tho :P