Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sorry, one more quick question to those who have suffered a hernia...

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2002, 10:51 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, ive moaned and groaned about it, and as its going to take a long time to get through our NHS,s waiting list, I think im going to be partnered with my hernia for some time!! (he's not that bad really, now we've broken the ice, we're getting along quite well).

Now, because of this, I wanted to get an idea of what I should and shouldnt be doing while I have it. I love mountain biking, kicking a footie about casually on the green, climbing, and a couple other activities, but is it safe to partake in this stuff> or will it mean my hernia gets worse?
Is it the kind of thing I should baby until it gets sorted? or have some peeps carried on pretty much doing their normal thing till it was seen to?

Thanks for any advice and experiences
Graham "im dying!!" SideShowBob
Old 21 October 2002, 11:52 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Anything that puts strain on the area. Basically a hernia is where you internal "bits" are sticking through. So the more you apply pressure in that area the more damage you do (i.e. the lump gets bigger).

Depending on how much it gets in the way of your life, you might think of getting it done privately, but depedning on the type I think it's about £1000.

Steve.
Old 21 October 2002, 12:55 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Alright mate. I noticed mine after a 6 week solid raveathon. Dancing like a madman non stop for 8 hours plus every weekend is bad for you apparently.
I gave up raving for a while after I was doubled over with pain after one rave. I gave up for 3 months and I hated it. As my op got closer I got more and more paranoid about what would happen to me so I went out again with the theory "its going to get fixed on X date so it doesent matter if I mess myself up even more"
I ended up taking part in an eight weekend long rave exodus and only finished four days before I went into hospital.
Do whatever you want to now that you have a date. Only stop if you severely **** yourself up cos you will miss it when you're layed up healing so you might as well have some good memories of what you did pre-op while your getting back to normal.
if there is one thing I learnt from my op is that life is for living. my three month layup was the worst time ever for me as I couldnt do whatever I wanted to and I hated it.
Get up off your **** and do stuff while you still can.
hope this helps,
astraboy.
Old 21 October 2002, 02:07 PM
sideshow bob
Scooby Regular

That will teach you for stealing my username

Bob
Old 21 October 2002, 02:09 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Oh, I see, you steal my user name and I get the hernia?! not fair!
Old 21 October 2002, 02:18 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

I had one earlier this year and had a private op to get it removed (due to impendind Ibiza hoiday + hiking holiday + nookie )

I stoped all activity that works on that area (Weight Training, Martial Arts..etc...)
Took about 2-3 months to fully recover to the point where I can say it was worth it.
Nice scar though