Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

6.year sales of goods act??

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2002, 05:30 PM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listened yesterday to "Talk Radio".. Mike Dickens was talking about consumers rights. The law states that goods must be able to last a certain amount of time. Subject to how they are used etc and what they are. But 6.years is the law.

So why should we buy things and then be offerered extra guarantees etc. A DVD/Computer etc should last at least 6-7 years.

Are we been ripped off??? And has anyone managed to get a result using this law??
Old 17 October 2002, 05:35 PM
TomM
Scooby Regular

Result....using the law....ha ha ha

People like Curries and Comet sell these things as the British Public, like the American public are generally stupid, sad but true.

There is more to that then the radio has let on me thinks, otherwise we wouldnt be in the state we are in today!
Old 17 October 2002, 07:43 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

I tried to get my oven repaired by my builder (who fitted it) after 2 years. No joy!!

It was much cheaper to pay the repair bill myself than go to a solicitor!
Old 17 October 2002, 08:13 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Had a similar experience - dish washer started to rust after a few years - quoted sales of goods act to the retailer and manufacturer and stonewalled for my trouble. Cheaper and less hassle to throw it away and buy a new one that to bother pursuing them through small claims court.
Old 17 October 2002, 09:00 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

I find that hard to beleive as many products are built down to a price due to demand for penny pinching consumers. You pay for what you get to be honest and with manufactuerers and retailers ( well most) making smaller profits , everyone looses out including the customer.

Certainly if the lifespan of the product should be more then you should have some chance of some assitance. Certain products have a lifetime warranty. Just watch out for .. sorry sir that product is now obsolete so has reached the end of its life time, 2 months after you bought it !

AllanB
Old 18 October 2002, 10:33 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I have had an 18 month old hoover replaced by the manufacturer after quoting the Sale of Goods Act to them. I argued that 18 months is a reasonable time for a product to be in good working condition. They refused my first request but after I informed them I would be speaking to Which Legal Sevices they decided to replace my hoover. I never buy extended warranties for white goods or electrical goods as I believe I can use this Act with good effect. The problem IMO with us British people is that we are fobbed off far to easily, not me any more.

Si.