Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone had a hernia fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2002, 12:38 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I have been to my doc, and the outlook is not good.
My side really hurts, and has been for ages and ages (like 2 years!! im so slow at getting things looked at!!), so I went to doc, and she had a feel around, and thinks I may have a hernia.

I have to go see a consultant, but wanted to know a few things from people who have a hernia op before:
Is it a very painful experience?
Do you ever recover fully? like can you lift, go to gym etc again?
How long is the recovery process?
How long were you off work for?

Okay, its further complicated by the fact I have an enormous appendics scar exactly above where the pain originates from, so the doc thinks she is unable to feel the hernia properly as its under the hard scarring I have there, its scary stuff

Oh well, have to get it sorted, have a 6 week wait thou for a consultant to have a look, but Ive made it this far....
Old 15 October 2002, 12:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I had a (groinal) hernia. The operation took a few hours and I was out the next day.

They place a piece of guaze over the patch where the hernia is and your muscles then grow around it. I can do everything I did before. Full recovery was about 6 weeks.

You have an intestinal hernia, which is a little more serious but not much. Have a look here http://www.hernia.org/ .

Steve.
Old 15 October 2002, 01:09 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Thanks boxst, im sh*tting myself, do not like ops, but I suppose getting it seen to asap is a must.

Good site too.
Old 15 October 2002, 01:33 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I had one and had the mesh treatment too. I was bricking it as well simply cos I'd nearly died from appendictis a bit before the hernia and I didnt know any different.
What it turned out to be was fairly easy. I was in and out in 3 days and although I couldnt really walk for a few days after, I healed fast enough to attend an allnight rave exactly 16 days after the operation took place. the only advice i can give is to set aside complete rest time afterward and eat a lot of meat to give you the protein to heal faster. Pace yourself and dont push it too hard too soon after the op and it should be fine.
I got really down and felt quite bad before I got it fixed so it felt really good to get it out of the way and fixed.
You'll feel better when its done so swallow your fear and do it. there is really little to worry about and i'm talking from experience.
best of luck,
astraboy.
Old 15 October 2002, 01:40 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Cheers astraboy, I also had a major appendics ordeal!! and the fact that this hernia appears to be directly under the scar of that, is also freaking me a bit, cant touch that scar, makes me feel gross.
Im definitely going to do it thou, and ill set aside a lot of time to recover, then start building my stomach strength very slowly.

Ops are well scary, damn, thats the last time I lift a washing machine!! (well, not sure what actually started it all those years ago, but 4 months ago, moved into a flat, and had to lug a washing amchine with a mate, and after that, instead of just bein an irritation, its proerly painful, still, has prompted me to get it sorted)

On another note, going via the NHS, the initial consultation wait is 6 weeks, then from that I imagine the consultant sets up a time for the op, is there a pretty set waiting list for this?
This is the first company that hasnt provided health care as a standard employee benefit, and I foolishly didnt buy into it, so will be relying on the health service.
Old 15 October 2002, 04:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

Whooops! You could be looking at a year to get it actually fixed, depending on region.
Mail me off line for a bit of advice (free) about possibly getting it done quicker, if you're interested.
And b4 you ask, no, I'm not into diy surgery!!
Alcazar
Old 15 October 2002, 07:02 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Yeah - I've had a mesh op done as well. Out the next day - don't worry. Was a bit stiff for a week or so. Best advice - go for short regular walks in the week after the op. Don't strain, but you'll stop the muscles ceasing-up/aching as badly by maintaining frequent low-level exercise. Spend a few minutes every hour or two walking around the house/flat/wherever. I'm no doctor, but this helped me in the days afterwards.
Old 15 October 2002, 10:37 PM
DrJP
Scooby Regular

SideShow Bob, Is your GP sure that you haven't got an Incisional hernia which is a hernia in an old scar particularly if its a nasty scar
Old 15 October 2002, 11:21 PM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Smile

That's what I was also thinking DrJP. Ok, I'm a veterinary nurse but the principles are the same!

I have been having some problems myself since I had a major op last year and I have also been putting it off. It is quite a large abdominal wound that I had and I know myself that I never gave it enough time to heal properly plus I feel and broke my wrist about 5 weeks after the op and I know I did something then to it! Ho hum, these things happen!

Go on SSB, get it done! Want me to come and hold your hand? Still got the ITR? Not seen you on evo for a while!

AJ
Old 16 October 2002, 08:29 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Hey Amanda-Jane!! yip, still got ITR, and you still havent come for a spin in it yet!! Evo has gotten a little wierd lately, people seem a tad short of humour, so thought id best not go over there too often, but it'll probably improve again.

Um, incisional hernia, that doesnt make me feel any better doc, actually, that sounds even more scary!!!
Oh cr*p, why cant I just go wrong in a normal way, but that sounds exactly right, cause the pain is under the scar from my last op, but then I cant really go and tell my doctor whats wrong with me can I?

It'd be like "actually doctor, you're wrong. I believe I have an incisional hernia, cause by reinflamation of the perpultory wound from the apendictamy perfomred upon myself in around 1989"

So Amanda, with the health service going to take years to see me, would it be alright if I paid a visit to your clinic and you do the op as you would to say, a, er, dog?
Im house trained, and all I ask is a few dog biscuits and a bowl of water for after the op, lol.

Thanks for the advice and stuff everyone, ill bring up the possibility of it being an incisional hernia with my doc, and hopefully going to get to see someone soonish.
Old 16 October 2002, 05:38 PM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

Ow, just out of curiosity, has anyone ever joined a private health thingy like HSA when they already have a problem?

As I am looking at different options to get it done quicker, thou Amanda, im still not ruling out the vets!!
Old 16 October 2002, 07:59 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

Most health care plans have a "medical disregard", where they will still pay out for illnesses from the past.

However, the premium for these is high.

Steve.