Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

OK tough choice - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2002, 03:33 PM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sell it and go racing.

It's hard when you open the garage etc, but just imagine a fully decked out Stock Hatch in there...and all the fun you'll have with it around the tracks. I sold my original Scoob to go racing (2.0lt Hot Rods) but wife put paid top that....given another chance (no longer together), I'd be racing straight away.

"Always regret what you HAVE done, not what you havn't"

GO FOR IT

[Edited by ScoobyK - 10/7/2002 3:33:43 PM]
Old 07 October 2002, 09:55 AM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

i was in this position a couple of years back, sold my R1 and never went back..never will. I did my years on a bike, thousands of track laps and came away unscathed....been there done that and would never ride a bike again.

T
Old 07 October 2002, 10:25 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

How about selling the bike you have now for 4k, spend 1000 quid of it on an older not-so-much-a-hooligan-bike, and spend the rest on the track day hatch.
Old 07 October 2002, 10:26 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

If you replace the bike with a track car and do racing, that may well scratch the itch for speed.

The other thing is, get a "classic" bike if they light your candle. Far cheaper to buy and run (e.g. £80 per year fully comp for my Suzi 550 triple) so you don't feel bad about not using it.

OK they're slower than modern sportbikes, but not that much slower ... just as much fun (believe me, 100mph on a naked 70s machine feels plenty fast enuff ) and you don't have to ride at mad speeds to get the feeling.

Some suggested bikes:

Suzi GS1000 or Katana / Kawa Z1000 / GPz1100 / Suzi GT750 kettle / Kawa H2 750 / Yam 350LC
Old 07 October 2002, 11:53 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

If I remember correctly, from the thread asking if people want a bike forum, you've a ZX6?? If so, we've alovely 1990 UK Mazda Mx5 that we'd be willing to swap (with a lil bit of cash). That way you could have some tail out fun on the road or track to get your thrills!!
Old 07 October 2002, 11:53 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Mate, I know and realise this tendency in myself (although you soundf a bit more of a loon ). So what I did was get a bike that doesn't scream at you to go faster - even when its standing still! Chicken strip chat is for all bikes with model names ending in 'R' or with too many late alphabet letters in the name like 'X' or 'Z'...

I bought something named after a National Park instead! It has 90 BHP and handles great. You can also see over double decker buses for imminent danger

Cagiva Gran Canyon! Wheelies on demand due to huge torque, but does not demand 'knee down' and 'show off' all the time.

You will not shake the bike bug - few proper bikers do. My grandfather was 70 and still pined for one. Don't pine, just ride safely!

D

Old 07 October 2002, 11:59 AM
camk
Scooby Regular

Think about what you would do with the cash.

a> Upgrades for scoob....money will likely be 90% lost on re-sale.
b> Stock Hatch racing will cost you more than 600quid a year.

If the bike is paid up and all it is costing you is insurance(are you 3rd Pty F&T only, maybe you need to be(can you get 6 months insurance only ?)). Most of the depreciation is gone already...why sell now. If you don't need the cash then you bought the bike to use, if its just occasionally then its just occasionally.
If you sold it then once you get the cash for the bike and you've spend it on mods or a banger hot hatch then its gone, plus the chances of opening up another cash drain are obvious....

Cheers
Cammy

PS I'm in the same situation with my Fazer but I'll not sell as I don't need the cash and still like to use it occasionally.
Old 07 October 2002, 12:26 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Ahh but Cam, you can't take it with you
Old 07 October 2002, 01:01 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

I was in a similar position recently with my Blade..

Use my bike lots, had it since new in 98 and just changed the oil and filter at the weekend and wrote down 68794 in my service history folder!!!!

Got on it this morning and rode 200miles to work... weekly commute.

Anway.. the wife hates me riding it and I enjoy it less as I get older not that I am old but all the mates have crashed, sold etc..
so only me left.. so no weekend thrashes, just commuting.

The insurance renewal was looking a bit too much in August and I had to either sell it or not insure it and leave it in the garage..
I decided on the second.. found the money for the insurance in the end.. but like you say could not bring myself to part with it.... although mine is worth less with all the miles on..

Just the thought of not owning a bike was not nice, almost giving in to being beat...

Sold my last bike and lasted two weeks before buying this one..

You could as suggested buy a cheaper bike...? then if it sits in the garage then no matter and spend the spare money on the Scooby?

JGM
Old 07 October 2002, 01:59 PM
bladerider
Scooby Regular

I know precisely what you must feel like. I've never been without a bike since 1974. I used to do around 40k miles a year on the bike. I used it for every journey. This year however my insurance has gone up by a third. Did the same last year as well. As for mileage, due to the weather, I have only used it about half a dozen times this year. So for the best part of the year it's just been sitting at home while I go out in the car. My dilema was, if I sell it would I regret it? Well yes i would. Would I get another bike? Most definitely not. The reason being that I've spent a bit on mods for the bike to make it the best it can be. Anything less just cannot be considered. So I've been at odds with myself over the decision to keep it, or give up riding completely and never look back. I'm sure you can appreciate this is an extremely difficult decision to make. If only the weather could be predicted a year in advance, the decision would be easy.
Old 07 October 2002, 04:10 PM
Alpine
Scooby Regular

I was in this position about 10 years ago.. went out for a blast in the bike and nearly killed myself.. sort of decision made for me.. Don't advise this method but it does work!
Old 07 October 2002, 04:34 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sold my bike when missus fell pregnant. Sensible thing to do and all that. Never once missed it.