number 10 is a load of crap - listen to it here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/top40/

[Edited by ChristianR - 10/6/2002 11:45:08 PM]
Old 06 October 2002, 06:23 PM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

To protect them from themselves.

How hell the did that Bunsen Burner track make the Top 10????

It's complete & utter tosh!
Old 06 October 2002, 06:29 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

It'll match the other 9 loads of sh*t that are there then
Alas
Old 06 October 2002, 06:47 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I honestly couldn't name a single track that has been in the top ten for over a year......I totally ignore the sh1te that is out there now

Best song this Summer Layo & Bushwacker - Love Story!

this track in Pacha was fecking awesome!!
Old 06 October 2002, 06:48 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Question

Never even heard it Chris. Is it worth downloading?
Old 06 October 2002, 06:51 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

What are you saying???? Will and Gareths track is ****

Its a con the record buying public dont buy many records,its the record companies that buy up the records and thats WHY bunsens got into the top 10.It might sound funny but soon as its in the top 10,they hope it will get more air play and then the buying public will go out buy the record,so MORE sales.
Old 06 October 2002, 06:53 PM
ChrisB

Angry

Don't waste your bandwidth Clare!

Planky - it's about to come on. Run awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Oh, and that bloody Las Ketchup song is out next week. Argh!
Old 06 October 2002, 06:57 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Red face

Chris, how come you know about all this tosh? You obviously been listening to it!
Old 06 October 2002, 07:04 PM
mark_h
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

The singles chart is a waste of time IMHO. You don't need many sales to get into the top 10, and record companies have been known to sell single as a huge discount or even given them away to inflate their figures.

Gone are the days when a single could chart outside the top 20, then climb the charts over a few weeks, before falling back again. Now it's all about entering as high as possible, then two weeks later they've gone.
Old 06 October 2002, 07:10 PM
ChrisB

I had Radio 1 on.

I hasten to add it's turned off now and Coldplay 'Rush of Blood to the Head' gently wafting around the room
Old 06 October 2002, 07:47 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I never listen to the charts, it doesn't do my blood pressure any favours [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

IMO singles are a complete waste of money! I haven't bought one for over a year now, nor do i intend on buying any in the near future

Hopefully the demise of he****y will mark the start of the end of the crap!
Old 06 October 2002, 07:55 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Bah Coldplay - another overrated band that have the most depressing music ever (well a large majority of their tracks). Every man and their dog is jumping on that bandwagon so its no different.
Old 06 October 2002, 07:55 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Angry

I thought it was all done via advanced sales. i.e. HMV and Virgin 'buy' so many records from the distributers hence guarenteeing sufficient 'sales' for the top 10. It has absolutely nothing to do with what people actually buy. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It must really annoy them when a 'real' tune makes it to number 1, thus ruining thier 'strategy' Doesn't happen too often though. The last one I can remember was that 'Who Let The Dogs Out' song.
Old 06 October 2002, 07:56 PM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

lol- what are you lot on about! the singles charts are for young kids, always are always will be.

why are you moaning about it? do yo also winge about the lack of Thomas The Tank engine toys at Mothercare World? ITS FOR KIDS!

the 13 year old girls arent sat at home moaning about the state of the album charts so why should you worry about their chart?

T
Old 06 October 2002, 07:59 PM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

and like it or not there are plenty of kids who love the popidol stuff...who are you lot to moan about that? what should they do stop listening to will young and buy a coldplay album??? yeah, go down great at their parties that will. load of 12 yr old girls practicing their dance moves to that one...NOT!

T
Old 06 October 2002, 08:09 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I agree the top 20 is for little kids, but they are being so cynically manipulated by the music industry now that they are all becoming brainwashed and thier minds turned to mush...

Boy bands and pop idols for the girls and sh!te skateboard thrash punk cr@p for the boys.

Very very sad IMHO
Old 06 October 2002, 08:17 PM
ChrisB

Bah Coldplay - another overrated band that have the most depressing music ever (well a large majority of their tracks). Every man and their dog is jumping on that bandwagon so its no different.
Try mellow instead of depressing Just 'cos it's not 120BMP (Astraboy dutch gabba stylee )

It's a damn sight more original and better quality than the Bunsen Burner ****e.
Old 06 October 2002, 08:36 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Cant say I have heard the Bunsen Burner thingy (sounds like a good thing going on these comments) but then again I havent listened to the top 40 on a sunday for a good 4-5 years now.

Maybe I was a bit harsh on Coldplay. But it just annoys me every time I turn on the radio these days someone is talking about them and I cant stand them. Some bird on Radio 1 was harping on about their latest track saying it was orgasmic. It made my laugh when a load of listeners texted in saying she was talking bollocks.

The majority of the charts is bollocks these days but some good stuff does come out of it. Westlife annoy me as they churn out the same sh1te week after week and the women just lap it up. I went to Capital FM's Party in the Park this year and the contrast in talent was blatant. Boy bands like Westlife were hopeless, A1 were embarrasingly crap. People with talent who stood out and could actually entertain and sing live were Shakira, Enrique Iglesias (as much as I hate to admit it) and Wyclef Jean (featuring with Prince Naseem) was one of the rare breeds of modern singers who can entertain as well as perform. Oh yeah Natalie Imbruglia was good and even the damn Lighthouse Family were suprisingly good.

Simon.
Old 06 October 2002, 08:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Well, the best single to make the charts was Summerlove Sensation by The Bay City Rollers circa 1975 ............... all the rest has been complete and utter tosh!!

See?? It all depends upon the generation you listened to the charts in!! Leave the kids alone - WE were exploited in the 70's too!!! Its a fact of life and it aint harming anyone

Pete
Old 06 October 2002, 08:47 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Did someone mention Gabber? Oh, 120bpm, that can't be right

Bring on the 360bpm nutters.....
Old 06 October 2002, 10:12 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

psLewis why were you listening to the Bay City Rollers in the 70s? If,as rumours suggest you are 70 odd years old you must have been touching 40 and into a group with 15 YO fans! Wouldn't that be like a 40 YO bloke nowadays into Gareth Gates,now that's scary!
As for Bunsen Burner I haven't a clue what you are on about but at the end of the day if you don't like something FFS turn it off. Is there such a thing as bad musical taste or isn't it as personal an opinion as whether or not you like Marmite?
Old 06 October 2002, 10:59 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Wink

Somebody mention Natalie Imbruglia! That's a good enough excuse for a picture

the eyes!
Old 06 October 2002, 11:06 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Ive heard it and it is utter crap and dont get me started on the Ketchup song!!!another Macarainer you ALL will be singing along to this Euro crap:argh:

I read to get to number 1,some dodgy record companies were getting their employees to go out and buy up as many copies,so the record would get straight into number 1..what a CON!!! btw i think it only take about 10 thou record sales to get to #1 nowadays.
Old 07 October 2002, 01:37 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

The problem is that "The Top 40" doesn't really have the same meaning that it used to.

Record sales are nothing like what they used to be, and too much of it is fiddled by the record companies.

All of the Popstars, Pop-Idols, and other crappy pop-wannabe programmes give all of us a perfect look at how sad today's 'pop' scene really is. If I went on the current effort I'm not sure I could be stood for longer than 10 seconds in the same room as Pete Waterman without knocking is lights out. As for that skinny dwarf too.. hmm.. she's talented !! NOT ! Anyone with any self-respect or that likes real music should run a mile from that lot. Would you really want people like that telling what to sing and writing that dreary, mass-produced, cliche-ridden pap for you ??

Robbie Williams may be a little s***e but at least he saw the light and bailed out of the boy-band thing... look where its got him ! Hmm...Fatty Barlow - where are you now ??

I'm not a big fan of the Coldplay's and Robbies of this world but at least they get of their **** and write their own stuff...

If you don't like it, don't buy it - but at least we'd get a bit more variation in music out there.

I also get really sick of Radio 1 and how they tell you what's good and what's not, instead of letting you decide what to like. How many really good tracks pass by largely unnoticed because they are not seen as being 'cool' by Radio-chuffing-One ? Instead they fill their air-time up with they same old crap over and over again !!! agggghhhh !!

Is it really surprising that the music inductry is dying with so much drivel being mass produced ??
Old 07 October 2002, 04:14 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

LMAO @ P1fanatic - totally agree... coldplay - merely radiohead wannabees - and i'm afraid that kind of class act just can't be replicated.

imo of course.
Old 07 October 2002, 04:21 PM
STi go fast
Scooby Regular

"Robbie Williams may be a little s***e but at least he saw the light and bailed out of the boy-band thing... look where its got him ! Hmm...Fatty Barlow - where are you now ??"

hmmm, so you dont like barlow, a talented musician and song writter but you do like williams who cant play an instrument and churns out stuff written for him...oh, like popidols!
Old 07 October 2002, 04:22 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Red face

John Otway's a distant relative of mine, although not distant enough.
Old 07 October 2002, 04:53 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

^^^ But 'Beware of the Flowers cos I'm sure they're gonna get you, yeah' is a classic !