Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parking Ticket Appeal - whats the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2002, 08:54 PM
Ru$$Rip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I was in my company car which is an audi A4 Quattro Avant (estate) last week - incidentally I have a Subaru WRX 02 just in case u were wondering what the link was, and was parked in a loading area in the town centre. I may add that it is an area other cars use to temporarily stop and grab things from the nearby shops. Some actually park in these spaces all day! Anyway I had left the car for 15 mins and when I cam back some f***n traffic warden had stuck a frickin ticket on my windscreen. I opened my boot to put in the large items that I had just picked up then ran to him and asked wwat the **** he was playing at. An estate car in a loading area with the back seats down and lots of boxes in the back. He said that I had been there over 15 mins although there are no signs saying that you have so many minutes to complete your loading. I said but I was loading and he said that he had been passed once already and could not see anyone near the car. I said that he hadnt, in fact he had driven past in an unmarked astra van and not got out of the car so he couldnt have seen me in the nearby shop window. I said that I was going to complain , he said go ahead.

Phew! OK heres the question, has anyone ever appealed against a parking ticket? It says that I must fill in my name and address for a court hearing at the bottom of the ticket if I wish to appeal. What does that mean? Do I have to stand up in court in my whistle and flute to testify that I Mr.XXX was in the right?? What is a court hearing? Is a costly court hearing really setup for every single 30 quid fine that is appealed against!!?

What are my chances of getting off considering I was in a big estate full of boxes in a loading area?

Legal Advice sought please.

Cheers
Old 03 October 2002, 09:14 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Contest it !
But if you go to court don't wear a whistle.
They think you have money and fine you more !
Had a mate on a drink + disorderly - went to court smart as you like - bloke in front of him on same charge dressed in a old tracksuit got £50 fine £25 costs - mate got £250 fine and £30 costs.
Best go scruffy and plead poverty.
Only doing me job for a few pennies to fed the 6 kids at home scetch, might help you get off !
Good luck.
Old 03 October 2002, 09:35 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Tell them to Fiuck off.
Old 03 October 2002, 10:16 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

This is a big problem in Edinburgh since our dearly loved Council "decriminalised" parking offences and got a commercial company in to issue tickets. Such a problem that the Council have had to employ an extra six people just to deal with appeals....

The "old" rule was that to be treated as loading, the warden had to give you ten minutes. If he didn't see you actually doing a bit of loading within the ten minutes you got a ticket. The ten minutes has now dropped down to five - not that anyone has ever mentioned that officially of course
Old 03 October 2002, 10:57 PM
brandy76
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Just write a nice letter to the department that deals with parking fines, disputing the payment and if its your first offence they should let you off! (you may have to blag the reason and time you were parked there for though)
If it means going to court, just cough up and pay.
Sounds like you can afford it anyway, having two cars:-)