Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cat Flaps....

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2002, 03:46 PM
Jen.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right - done lots of searches on the internet, but there's not alot of info around...I want to fit a cat flap - but have never had to try it before!

We have two options, the first is through the back door which is a PVC double glazed unit, but without glass in the bottom so does anyone know how easy this would be to get? Any idea of cost?

Second option is to get one of the one's that goes through the wall of the house - how easy is this? DIY job? Any adverse effects? Probably not going to be in the house for a great length of time so the next owner might not want a great big hole in their wall!

I'd appreiciate anyone's experiences or comments (although not of the anti-cat type ) ....Oh, and can you get mole replent ones?

Thanks

Jen

[Edited by Jen. - 10/1/2002 3:46:53 PM]
Old 01 October 2002, 03:48 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

We've been through this for the last 3 years, but never found a good solution.

We also only have french windows (glazed) at the back, so other than putting a flap through the front door (mmm, tasteful!) our only option was to put one through the wall. However, we never managed to find a builder who'd be willing to do it and guarantee that he'd be able to make it watertight to prevent damp getting into the wall cavity.

So we've ended up being door-keepers for our 3, which is a PITA. Luckily, we're about to move to a rented house (with a cat-flap) and will then (with a bit of luck) be building our own property, so we can get the cat-flap designed into it.
Old 01 October 2002, 03:49 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry, just re-read your post - if the back door isn't glazed in the bottom part, just buy a flap from your local petshop, and cut a big hole in the door and fit it.
Old 01 October 2002, 03:52 PM
Jen.
Scooby Regular

lol! I was going to do this and Chris said " you do realise the doors cost £800!" I was a bit scared after that!

That's what I was worried about with the walls Oh well, might be time to ring Mr Double Glazing Door Man and see what awful figure he can come up with...

Sounds like we have the same problem as you though Mark...maybe we should move up North and rent as well

Thanks for the advice!

Jen
Old 01 October 2002, 03:54 PM
Jen.
Scooby Regular

Just realised you're thinking of building your own house - Hopefully you get to do it...I dream of doing that...double garages and games rooms
Old 01 October 2002, 04:02 PM
Andy McCord
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jen, if you have internal access to your garage you could put it in the garage door, just remember to check non off the little minkies arent using it whilst you open it, just a thought, prob useless

Regards
Andy
Old 01 October 2002, 04:15 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

I put one in the plastic panel in our UPVC door, the whole job took about five minutes, but it did concern me as to how easy it was to cut the hole even when doing it neatly. If I was burgling the place I could have been in in less than 30 seconds Makes a joke of all the dead bolts & security locks really.

I've also had double glazing units made in the past with holes in them for extractors, so I would imagine it would be easy enough to have one made to fit a catflap if you wanted.
Old 02 October 2002, 09:32 AM
Jen.
Scooby Regular

lol @ Andy - that could be an amusing situation - Sadly no access to the garage from the house otherwise that would have been an ideal situation...

CrisP - that easy eh? ....Mmm, interesting. Might have another look into that then, it would be the easiest option. Thanks (although it is a bit concerning as you say )

Jen
Old 02 October 2002, 09:44 AM
Mice_Elf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I know it's not *quite* the same thing, but my folks have DG in the conservatory/porch bit at the front of the house and to prevent the postie tromping through it to deliver the post, my dad put a letter box into the pane of glass. Took him about 30 minutes all in and there is no damp issue.