Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Payment over the Internet

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2002, 07:38 PM
H7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My local club has merchandise which it would like to sell over the internet. The club doesn't have much money (yet!) but intends to sell a product for around £50 in the UK and abroad. We currently have some enquiries from Canada and need to come up with a solution that allows us to accept payment for the goods in any currency. As an honest bunch, I'm also keen that we can assure potential purchasers that they'll get the goods (by post) in return for their payment. Can anyone suggest a method of setting this up that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Old 27 September 2002, 10:04 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Brian, are you talking about invoicing in different currencies or jsut being able to accept payment by ppl around the world? There are a lot of issues involved if ppl need tax receipts but if it's strictly commerce you might want to use Worldpay (expensive but complete) or PayPal (probably the cheapest but more hassle for the ppl who want to pay you) - then there are places like CCBill which will handle credit card transactions but I think they might have a clause in there which doesn't allow European transactions.

I was looking into this whole area a while back and *IMHO* my findings were that the US is way ahead of the rest of us in providing services for companies and individuals who want to sell merchanidise online, the UK came in second (by quite a ways) and the rest of Europe (where I am) has still to catch on.
Old 28 September 2002, 02:10 AM
H7
Scooby Regular

We really just want to be able to accept payment in multiple currencies, most likely Canadian Dollars, US Dollars and Japanese Yen initially. The payees are likely to be individuals rather than companies so I wouldn't expect to have to cope with taxation issues per se (the club isn't registered for VAT, for example, so shouldn't need to charge such in Europe).

I'd thought about Worldpay but haven't yet explored this option to any conclusion.

I appreciate your advice and thank you in anticipation of more ....

Brian
Old 28 September 2002, 02:52 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

H7: If you are in receipt of foreign currency from its source then I'm pretty sure the tax has to be paid.

Minefield springs to mind!

Can't you give your buyers a phone number, and do it that way? Let the CC companies work it out?