Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flat Roof skylight ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 September 2002, 12:29 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got an extension on the back of the new place which means dining/living room is rather long - so one end doesn't get too much light. As the extension is a flat roof I thought it might me cunning to put a big skylight in the center. Anyone seen this done ?

Steve
Old 25 September 2002, 12:34 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Never seen it on a house but my office has one. Just a big square flat(ish) row of skylights (very slight slope for drainage) that sits about a foot higher than the roof. Really brightens the room up regardless of the weather outside. Don't see why it can't be done on a house.
Old 25 September 2002, 10:41 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
It can certainly be done, but needs careful attention to roof drainage before you do it, as flat roofs are notorious for not draining properly , and that's before you put a hole in them for the rain to soak into!
Old 25 September 2002, 11:55 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

very easily done with the right kit and a decent roofer/plumber to make sure the seal is ok
did this myself a couple of years ago using a domed polycarbonate roof light and then subltley hid it on the inside (as it wasnt to pretty if you looked up)with a piece of opaque plastic similair to the type used on lighted signs it also diffuses the light nicely.
the kit comprises of a large square plastic frame with an up stand that is screwed straight to the decking then the felt is flashed up to the edges ensuring a good seal and the upstand makes sure the water runs away
I put mine into a kitchen extension to light a dark corner and it has never leaked.

Matt

[Edited by mattstant - 9/25/2002 11:56:05 AM]
Old 25 September 2002, 11:58 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Smile

alcazar

Who do you work for? Just interested as your reply sounds quite knowladgeable
Old 25 September 2002, 12:27 PM
scoobyroof
Scooby Regular

Very easy job as long as you do two things; 1; Buy a top Quality Skylight with correct Flashing Kit 2; Use a reputable Felt Roofing Company who will give you a FIXED PRICE QUOTATION for the work that you require.

Do not use a cowboy, friend etc and anyone who will only provide and Estimate The reason that Flat roofs get a bad reputatation is very simple Bad initial laying of the deck by the Joiner not taking into account that the roof needs to drain off water and bad application and wrong specification of Materials.

My advice simple Do the Job right and if you cannot afford to do it right then wait!!!!!! until you have the money to do it.

Hope this helps Cheers
Old 25 September 2002, 12:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm a freelance (agency) HGV driver. Any knowledge I've got comes from either having done it myself, or know someone who's done it/had it done, and from picking the brains of others in the same boat, or friendly professionals.
I'm a great believer in sharing knowledge. It's helped me do all my own plumbing, electrics, building, window fitting etc. There's not a lot you can't do for yourself, given the time, and someone else's goodwill.
PS: I'm always careful to thank, and reward people who give me advice- a pack of 1664 or two, goes a long way IMHO.
Alcazar
Old 25 September 2002, 12:43 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

was going to ofer my proffesional advice as i have an HNC in building construction but i think Scooybroof has the edge on me in this case
Old 25 September 2002, 12:50 PM
scoobyroof
Scooby Regular

Matt NO mate you go ahead and offer your advice I only wanted to help. We have been in the roofing industry for 10 years and I for one would love to see it rid of all the COWBOYS who have given it such a Bad Name. They go around knocking doors and doing the work for Cash and when it goes wrong the seem to just vanish. Always use a company that has PUBLIC Liability Insurance in force for at least £2 million pounds worth of cover and never ever be frightened to ask the company to prove it.

Our company has threee very simple rules that we live aet sleep and breathe with every day

1; TAKE CARE OF THE CUSTOMER
2; TAKE CARE OF THE CUSTOMER
3; TAKE CARE OF THE CUSTOMER

If you follow these three simple rules in any business you will always remain in business if you choose to ignore them you will nor.
Enough of my Blatant Advertising!!!!!!! Cheers all
Old 25 September 2002, 12:58 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Thanks (all of you)

Good to know that it's possible to do. Project for next spring I think ( after bathroom & kitchen )

Rgds
Steve
Old 25 September 2002, 06:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

SteveM2k: so do you want advice on bathrooms and kitchens now then? I've done both:
Scoobyroof: If only all companies were built that way.(Apologies to Volky):