Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How do you extend a house?

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2002, 11:10 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Getting a bit fed up with looking for somewhere to move to, so considering extending our current home. What's the process? Do I see an architect first? I know what I want doing, but would like some more ideas from someone who has some experience and will hopefully see some potential improvements that I miss. Would also like to increase the pitch of the roof to give more room in the loft so I could turn it into another room(s), but this will probably be V expensive, so will probably stick to extending part of the frontage…

So, is a arcutect the first port of call, or do you sus out some builders first?

Old 23 September 2002, 11:16 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd have thought that you get some plans drawn up and then get the builders to tender on the work based on the plans... But Id speak to someone and decide what you want first and what is possible (within budget..) youd also need to sumbit the plans for approval and get building regs thingys...

David
Old 23 September 2002, 11:18 AM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Smile

Yep,
Architect should be your first port of call-and go for a proper architect-not just a plan drawer.More expensive at the start-more added value in the long run.
Old 23 September 2002, 11:22 AM
Tommy 2000
Scooby Regular

A good architect will also help when it comes to getting planning permission...
Old 23 September 2002, 11:25 AM
TolTec
Scooby Regular

You might not be able to extend out the front, there is a limit called the 'building line' which you cannot (usually)cross. Get a copy of the land registry map so that you can mark out your proposed extension and do a few sketches. In any case have a chat with your local planning office about what you want to do, I found mine very helpful.
Old 23 September 2002, 11:25 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

NO no no no. Before you go to the expense of the Architecht, ring your local planning office(local council), and ask for a site visit with a planning officer.

Then you can talk through with them what you would like to do in a general kind of way. They will say No problem or not happy about that etc.

You can then go speak to an architecht and see what he thinks.

Also communicate with your neighbours, as they can have an influence, trust i am going through this at the moment!!
Old 23 September 2002, 11:27 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Earlier this year, we had a 2 story 20ft X 28Ft extension built. This is the process we went through and it all went ok.

1. Work out what you want to achieve
2. Sketch out what you want, in as much detail as you can
3. Work out your budget.
3.1 Go see neighbours and 'ask the question' at the planning office
4. Get a builder in to provide a best guess price.
5. If that's ok get an architect to provide the plans
6. The Architect will then draw plans and, when you agree apply for planning permission on your behalf(about £400).
7. Arrange the mortage(if required, about £300)
8. Once you get PP then the architect will draw up detailed plans
9. Show plans to various builders(word of mouth is the best way of choosing them)
10.Arrange a start date. Once they start..
11. Council building inspectors will then come and inspect the work when the foundations, roof and final completion is done. (~£400)
12. If the builder does'nt do it, arrange for plasters,plumbers etc etc
13. Choose decor etc

[Edited by Neil Smalley - 9/23/2002 11:28:53 AM]
Old 23 September 2002, 11:30 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps. Good advice. I think a chat the the local planning office will be first then. FYI, we have a large open porch type thing on the front of the house, and we were thinking of turning this into an enclosed area (downstairs privy, etc) and extending the room above, so not sure if this is going over the existing "building line". Sounds like the planning office will be anble to offer more advise to start with.

Cheers

little less

Old 23 September 2002, 11:33 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Neil,

Thanks mate. Just what I need

Old 23 September 2002, 12:07 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

As a planning officer I feel qualified to advise: Steps you should follow are:

1. Have a good think about what you want to do and draw up some sketches yourself (nothing fancy, just for visualisation)
2. Take these to the local planning office and discuss with the Duty Planning officer who will if need be visit the site.
3. Whilst there check with Building Control what you need to do re: building warrant
4. If planning permission is needed get an architect for the drawings and get your application in, go with whatever advice the planning officer gave or you could be looking at the lengthy refusal and appeal process.
5. If not needed crack on but get a letter of comfort from the Planning Authority as you'll probably need it when you come to see the house.
6. Enjoy your bigger home
Old 23 September 2002, 12:09 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If it's to the front of the house it'll probably need planning permission by the way. In scotland the General Permitted Development Regs say that you need planning permission for any extension to the house that is within 20m of a public road that is closer to that road than any part of the original house.

This is why porches and the likes usual require planning permission.
Old 23 September 2002, 12:14 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks!

Some great advice here. I knew SN would help

Not at all now...