Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying a RIB - Any experts

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2002, 02:31 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looking to buy a RIB, going to the Southampton boat show this afternoon for a reccie. Anyone else going?
Anyone else into RIBs? Know of any good deals to be had, better ways of buying, any comments on the different makers?
Looking at Ribtec, ribcraft or Torndao/Viking at the moment

Also towing with a scoob. What is the general feeling, as far as I know should not be a problem, should be ok on the weight. Anyone got any horror stories?
Old 16 September 2002, 02:35 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Look in the classifieds. My mate picked up a 4m RIB with a 42bhp outboard and a trailer, all for £700. All in perfect condition, too. I know, 'cos about 4 weeks ago I was blatting about on the sea at Camber in Kent in it.
Old 16 September 2002, 02:40 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I am just conscious that with boats you don't know what you are buying into, they can be a real pain in the backside, difficult finding good ones and very difficult to find someone to look after the engine properly.
Look at around 5m with a 60, may do the second hand thing but am buying with a friend so like the idea of buying new...
Old 16 September 2002, 02:44 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Fair enough. Depends how much you know about them - my mate builds fighter aircraft fuel tanks for a living, and builds land rovers as a hobby, so he's got a bit of engineering experience in case anything goes wrong. If you're less hands-on, you'll want a newer one.

Mind you, he's had his boat valued at about 2k (all in) so if you're looking for something much newer it could be a fair chunk of money.
Old 16 September 2002, 02:49 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Talking

Looking at a package price of around 11k with the trailer etc.

Been in and around boats for years, plenty of mates with them and they have had they fair share of problems.
I have no clue when it come to engines so want that piece of mind for the first few months anyway...
Old 16 September 2002, 02:50 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

S'pose you could go for a 2nd-hand boat and trailer (which are less likely to go wrong) and then splash out on a new (or nearly-new) engine...
Old 16 September 2002, 02:52 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You can get second-hand ones really cheap. However, MarkO's mate got a blinding bargain! As with cars, only buy a brand-new one if you intend to keep if for a long time.

There is a magazine called RIB International that you'll find on the shelves
Old 16 September 2002, 03:01 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

There is a magazine called RIB International that you'll find on the shelves
With a name like that, it sounds like it should be on the top shelf!
Old 16 September 2002, 05:40 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Double post-tastic!!!!

[Edited by DJFish - 9/16/2002 5:49:59 PM]
Old 16 September 2002, 05:43 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Try this place: www.ribsforsale.com I recall they had loads for sale and a buying guide on the site.
Also try here: www.boatsandplanesforsale.co.uk
Give me a blat in it if you buy one!!!

Dave

(Saving up for an ex-North Sea Atlantic 21)
Old 16 September 2002, 07:54 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Depends on what you'll be using it for. Do you want to use it on nice days only, or do you want to have some fun when it's RAF (rough as f*ck)

If it's the latter, go for a second hand Halmatic Atlantic or Pacific, slow but great seakeeping, good dive boat as well.

If you want outright speed, some of the more modern sports RIBs would be a better option.

If it was me, I'd go for a halfway house, something like a second hand Avon or preferably a Delta, about 6-6.5m with a 225hp Yamaha V6 (very reliable in my experience). Should be able to get one for 11 grand.
Old 16 September 2002, 10:55 PM
GM
Scooby Regular

I drive a 4.5m Avon Searider with a 40 4 stroke Suzuki and a 5.5m Northcraft with a (tired) 50 2 stroke Mercury at my sailing club.

The Searider is a super boat on flat water but it becomes a bit tricky if the waves are getting up. The Suzuki four stroke engine is an absolute gem - fast and so quiet you have to look over your
shoulder when it idles to make sure its still running!

The Northcraft is much heavier than the Searider and probably needs more than the 50 engine (we're trying to persuade those who write the cheques that a 60 or 70 Suzuki would be nice!). However it is a really good boat to drive when the sea starts getting rough - you can still enjoy driving it without worrying about it flipping.

Bear in mind that too big an engine (even one that is within the range approved for a particular boat) can make it difficullt to drive. A friend had a RIB with a 90 on it (the max for that boat) and most people who drove it said it was terrible - unless the water was like a millpond you had to back off a lot.
Old 16 September 2002, 11:10 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rich, surely you live in the right place to find someone good with boat engines don't you???????
Old 17 September 2002, 09:15 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

RON - You would think so wouldn't you! The guy who I race with has a yacht, RIB and a sports cruiser. He has not found anyone reliable to work on anyone of them. Every single person screw things up, doesn't do half the work or simply doesn't turn up. Very frustrating!

Having been to the show last night, the option of second hand does seem more favourable. Looking around the 5.3-5.5m with either 75 or 90 now. Don't want much bigger.
Will be used for skiing, some distance and snorkelling etc. Won't be a dive boat.
Not much in the way of deals to be had, maybe save 1k buying a show boat.