Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Consequences of resigning over being made redundant?

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2002, 01:26 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hi All,

Well things have come to a point where I just want out!

Just wondering though how other employers view this, and also where you stand on dole money etc with this?

I havent got a job to go to, but reckon I can get one before the funds run totally dry.

Or should I sit in and get a job first.

andy

Old 16 September 2002, 01:30 PM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally Id keep the job until I got a new one lined up for definate. Just because I think its less pressure come interview time if you know you havent got a shortage of funds coming up if you DONT get the job you are there for....might help you relx and come across better in the interview.

And if you get made redundant you may well be due some money - if you resign you definatley wont get a bean!

Old 16 September 2002, 01:35 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

It's always easier to find a new job when you're already in one. Okay, so you might not like where you are, but at least it'll pay the bills, and you're almost certainly earning many times what the dole would pay out.

Stick where you are, and look for something new before you leave. That way you won't have to answer any embarassing questions as to why you're unemployed when starting the new job.
Old 16 September 2002, 01:37 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above, also if you have a redudancy protection on you mortgage it may not cover you resigning, just redudancy!

Easier to move from one job to another IMHO
Old 16 September 2002, 01:43 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

If you resign voluntarily you can't claim unemployment benefit for a ridiculously long period (6 months, IIRC).
Old 16 September 2002, 01:43 PM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

All that has been said makes sense. There is no shame in being made redundant, and can often result in a better job (tho I've yet to find it !!) - there is always a story to tell on why redundancy happened and can be used to your advantage. The same CAN be true of resigning but make sure you have some solid reasons for resigning...it can be viewed by potential employers as "headstrong", "non-team player", "can't abide rules" etc.

Hope I've made that clear m8.

Good luck, but try and sit tight and find something else first.
Old 16 September 2002, 02:02 PM
AnDy_PaNdY
Scooby Regular

Go and tell your doctor you are suffering from a lot of stress and can't cope. He will sign you off for at least 2 weeks and you can use this time to get your thoughts straight and shop around for another job.
Good luck.
Old 16 September 2002, 02:04 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheers for the thoughts guys.

I think perhaps then Id best stick it out till I get something new. Have applied for 3 or 4 positions all of which I think Im well capable of. Its just the wait that is so agonising.

I really want to do the glorious walk into the office and " I resign " style entrance. Well maybe in 3 or 4 weeks I can!

Theres nothing like having a meaningful job that you enjoy doing - and my job is nothing like that! I have fck all to do at the moment and REALLY cant see new stuff on the horizon. Im bored out of my head and just want a daily supply of things to do, I wouldnt even mind if they werent that challenging, but I dont even have that! Especially now audio galaxy is gone and the fact that Ive downloaded the contents of Kazzaa too Things have got to the point where I just have to get out!

Andy
Old 16 September 2002, 02:10 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I really want to do the glorious walk into the office and " I resign " style entrance.
You definitely want to have a new job before you do that. It will make it twice as impressive, and four times as satisfying (particularly if the new job pays significantly more) when you tell 'em to shove it.

A few years back when I worked at Skandia, we had a guy resign without having a job to go to. He gave it the big F-off to everyone and acted like he'd won the lottery. We thought it was a bit odd, but wished him well.

Four weeks later he came back with his tail between his legs, and asked for his old job back - he'd not been able to find a new job (let alone anything better). We did consider turning him down just to spite him, but decided it would be more fun to continue the p*ss-taking for the next 6 months, so he was allowed to return.
Old 16 September 2002, 02:13 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
LOL....'downloaded the contents of Kazaa'.......what ALL of it

Hope you find true happiness soon!
Old 16 September 2002, 02:51 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Well, I did the walk in & walk out stuff two weeks ago today

I am currently unemployed

Not a situation I would recomend to anyone to do lightly. My excuse is that I know 100% that he was attempting to shaft me ( [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] ) and I could not justify in myself continuing to aid his company & him to prosper, when he was plotting to stitch me up. My choice but one that I am happy with.

My situation might also be a bit better than yours. My wife works full-time and with a few belt tightenings, flog a spare car (want a Vectra?) and a bike (want an gixer?) and with me taking on some childcare (what a hassle - not ) we can manage for 6 months or so before I need to have found another job. There is also the Ireland option, whereby we won't have a mortgage and can live on a lot less salary. Prehaps my ex-boss should've known a bit more about me (after 8 years!) before thinking he could have me over

Anyhow, think really hard & carefully before you do.

Regards un-employment stuff...

Well, I went into the local Jobseeker place last week & started the lengthy paperwork chase. What it boils down to is that I have to have an interview and they have to debate whether the reasons I left my job are good enough (which I'm sure they will be ) before I am able to claim "Jobseekers Allowance". JA is £53 per week... That is all I can currently claim.

Old 16 September 2002, 02:55 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I could not justify in myself continuing to aid his company & him to prosper, when he was plotting to stitch me up
You should have continued working for them and destroyed it from the inside.
Old 16 September 2002, 02:58 PM
ScoobyK
Scooby Regular

Just be a little wary too about how you resign....don't forget, you'll probably need them for a reference so don't create toooooo much trouble when you leave or they can shaft you somewhat on referencing.

Better to leave on good terms and know inside that you've done WHAT YOU WANTED to do.

Also, remember this phrase..."if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got".

If you have time for a little reading, "my best year yet" by Jenny Ditzler (sp?) is a FANTASTIC read and will help you sort what you want from here on in.
Old 16 September 2002, 03:03 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Marko

If I had wanted to, his complete computer system/network would be about as much use as building sand, together with his complete company records...

But he's really not worth getting a criminal damage conviction for

Walk away & leave him to his own sad little world
Old 16 September 2002, 03:19 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had that magic senario once - worked for a big well-known accountancy firm when we had a new boss come in - she got rid of my boss, and was basically evil - i mean really a real nasty piece of work.

I got another job pretty quickly that paid better and was a promotion - so I had a blazing stand up row with th lady in question and then a week later had the greatest pleasure in the world in taking her into a side room, and giving her my letter of resignation.

...but the best bit - the absolute cheery on the cream was giving her such a good slagging off to HR that it contributed to her being 'let go' 3 months after I left.

....ahh happy memories. Just hold on Andy and all that can be yours....