Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any medical types?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2002, 11:28 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK weird question. I'm worried about my ample beer gut. I'm 6ft and currently weigh 15 stone, so I'm a little overweight and have a rather rounded beer belly. Thing is, it's rock hard, not squashy and flabby. Is this in any way normal? I'd go and see my doctor, but I'm probably just being paranoid.

And no, I don't need a ****
Old 15 September 2002, 12:19 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

Your Body Mass Index is 28.5 - (Weight (kg) / height (m)^^2). Anything greater than 25 is overweight, anything greater than 30 is obese; so you're not just 'a little overweight'

At the end of the day, if it is worrying you, go and make an appointment with your GP and lay off the pies for a while.
Old 15 September 2002, 12:26 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Well I'm 15st and 6' but have very little fat on me. Just had an RAF exit medical and the doc said I was extremely fit for my age (29). I train twice a day (one cardio, one weights), 5 or 6 days per week and can do a 10 mile run without killing myself!

So I'm obese? The doc said those charts are now b0llocks and not used by the medical prof cos they pidgeonhole people as obese even if they're quite obviously not.
Old 15 September 2002, 12:40 PM
worley
Scooby Regular

Certain individuals (who train a lot) do not need guidance in order to ascertain if they are fit or not - this is quite obvious.

But from time to time, people do need some idea of where they stand in terms of weight issues when compared Mr Average.
Old 15 September 2002, 12:40 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

OK, the quesion wasn't "am I obese?" the question was regarding the fact that my stomach is distended (is that the right word?) and hard rather than squashy and flabby
Old 15 September 2002, 12:45 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Notorious: drink loads of water and do 100 sit ups per day. And leave the lard out of your diet! Sounds like you have water retention. Excercise will shift it!!
Old 15 September 2002, 02:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Notorious: if you see Sigourney Weaver: RUN LIKE F*CK!!!:
Old 15 September 2002, 07:02 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Leave the lard out of my diet? That only leaves the butter!!
Old 15 September 2002, 07:08 PM
BKS
Scooby Regular

I agree. BMI can be a useful tool in order to get a rough idea of whether someone is obese or not. It does however have a very limited role as it does not take into account other factors such as race and build. It also has no relevance on someones cardio vascular status. Jhonna lomu will have a BMI of over 30 but he is by no means obese.

As for your belly, it sounds entirely normal. Fat is deposited in various areas depending on the hormone balance of your body eg. oestrogen in women predisposes them to deposit fat around their hips and buttocks whereas the higher levels of testosterone in a mans body, causes fat to be deposited around the abdomen. However, every person is different. Some blokes deposit the fat under the skin and hence get a flabby belly, and others may deposit it around internal organs which may give the belly a tense distended appearance.

It also depends on what you eat and drink. Alcohol, especially beer will give you the latter appearance. Try laying off the beer for a few weeks and increase your roughage eg celery, lettuce (that kind of thing) if you are really bothered.

Remember that if you have any symptoms eg change of bowel habit, nausea/vomitting see ya GP!
Old 15 September 2002, 08:15 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can store fat on the to pof the muscle, under the skin, and also within the muscle (fatty steak?).

So it probably a good idea to go on a moderate diet, and do some moderate exercise.

Sit ups should be done without hooking your feet under anything, put them flat on the floor, await the pain. 3-4 reps of max, 1 minute rest between sets is a good way to start, and it will reduce the water retention too. Except great gains in the first 2 weeks, then it will slow, but don't worry.
Depends, once able I used 4 sets of 20 reps to start, 5 days a week (not thurs or sun) and added one rep every day. Once up to 25 I think I started to cut the rest time gradually to 30 seconds between sets, and no more than 30 reps in a set.
Putting calfs over a chair set (AKA crunches) will step it up, but once I got to 4 sets of 25 crunches I stopped doing it and went back to being unfit....

Quality not quantity is what counts.

Paul