Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

mantronix - got to have your love...

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2002, 10:10 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remember the old one? it's just come out again, does anyone know who it's by.

cheers,

mj
Old 15 September 2002, 10:24 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Liberty X I think, the Pop Stars lot
Old 15 September 2002, 10:49 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

My mate's ARE Mantronix!! The original vocalist was BillyRay Martin

They've been doing stuff under the guise of Groove Corporation for the last few years.....

They live in Birmingham - wicked studio too!!!

Dan
Old 15 September 2002, 10:59 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Angry

Don't you just hate all these teeny-bopper bands cashing-in on old tracks such as this, Blondie, etc!
There's no art to it these days. All about appearance and marketing!
I think one of the worst was Scarey Spice doing "Word Up" by Cameo!
The kids who buy these records won't be aware that they have already been done before.
Old 15 September 2002, 11:06 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

cheers people,

not bothered who did it, it's still catchy. and i do remember the original, used to bop to it as a youth.
Old 15 September 2002, 11:25 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I actually think Liberty X have done a good job of the cover. It's a great track and if it opens it up for a younger audience, then great.
Old 15 September 2002, 12:08 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

It's a almost exactly the same. That's why it's not bad
Old 15 September 2002, 03:24 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

mmmmmmmm totty in Liberty X
Old 15 September 2002, 03:27 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I'd love to be the Black girl's bar of soap
Old 16 September 2002, 07:07 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Best Mantronix hit was Take Your Time (the 10m mix featuring 'Wonderess'). Top toon.

Sone Cold Roach was also one of my favourites.
Old 16 September 2002, 07:29 AM
ian/555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mantronix, use to have a audio tape of them live at the Fridge in Brixton taped from Capital radio in about 1986-7 (God I feel old now!) They was pretty big for a while but they just seemed to fade away, around the time of another blast from the past IIRC Loose ends.
I have (well the wife has) got the new version of Got to have your Love and er maybe it is time to look up the Mantronix back catalogue for some other choice tunes.

ian
Old 16 September 2002, 08:55 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

libertx dont put themselves forward as a genius songwritters, they are entertainers providing a medium for ppl to enjoy music.

hearing the old mantronix song via them is no different to upgrading your TV and watching an old movie on it.

T
Old 16 September 2002, 09:05 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

hearing the old mantronix song via them is no different to upgrading your TV and watching an old movie on it.
What a crap analogy, and totally inaccurate, too.

Frankly, I'm sick to death of all the covers out there - no matter how good they might be. Happened to listen to the Pepsi Chart top 10 last night, and of the ones I can remember, LibertyX, Atomic Kitten, Kerry Osbourne, and the Sugarbabes are all covers. Will & Gareth have got another cover coming out next week, which will probably go in at number 1 too.

WTF can't they just write original songs?
Old 16 September 2002, 09:12 AM
Gavin G
Scooby Regular

I think its a good cover, very similar to the original.

Gavin G
Old 16 September 2002, 09:44 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

its kelly not kerry

look, there are crap covers and crap original songs to. you want to listen to the chart shows then no what you are getting....this is a list of the top selling singles, they are mostly bought by teenage girls as everyone else buys albums. so you were listening to a teenage girl chart then moaning it didnt suit you!

and to a 13yr old Take on Me is an A1 song, Tide is high is Atomic Kitten and......scarily...papa dont preach is Kelly Osbourne!!!! cause these kids werent around 15 years ago!

and my analogy is good- the presentaion format is updated for a new generation, thats what libert x are....a fresh presentaion of an old song.

T
Old 16 September 2002, 10:59 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

WTF can't they just write original songs?
Because there are only a finite number of records that can ever be written given a finite set of musical notes and words.
Old 16 September 2002, 11:01 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

here here MarkO but tiggs you have a point, maybe its we are just too old to appreciate the charts as you rightly say the target buyers are 12-15yr olds, however the saddest thing is yes kids dont know because these are covers of original songs that are 10-15 years old, well how many covers were in the charts 10-15 years ago, not many - sad thing is everything is just recycled pap with little innovation - o well must be getting old

Gary
Old 16 September 2002, 11:14 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I loved Mantronix and have got most of their stuff on 12" (big black plastic things with a hole in the middle, best played on a Technics SL1210 turntable )

Dan (ScoobyDoo555), cool Can you ask them what they think of the cover version?

I'm afraid I'm with MarkO on the subject of most recent covers. They're just an excuse for pretty young things with not much real talent (except the ability to pout and make a few shapes) to make tons of dosh for their record company. I suppose on the positive side it gives me the chance to use the 'off' button.

Old 16 September 2002, 11:26 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I'm with MarkO on the subject of most recent covers. They're just an excuse for pretty young things with not much real talent
I wouldn't go that far. I'll probably get slated for this, but IMO LibertyX, Sugarbabes and the Kittens are undoubtedly talented - which makes it all the more daft for them to trot out covers instead of new stuff.

Will Young is the same - a superb voice and more talent than many of the 'stars' in the last 4-5 years, but all wasted because the management aren't brave enough to give him some new material (or let him write his own).

What makes me laugh is that I feel like I'm sounding like my dad when I say comments like "all music nowadays sounds the same", but then I talk to the teenagers in our road and they all think it's dross too!!!
Old 16 September 2002, 12:05 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Talking

I wouldn't go that far. I'll probably get slated for this, but IMO LibertyX, Sugarbabes and the Kittens are undoubtedly talented - which makes it all the more daft for them to trot out covers instead of new stuff.
Oh ok, perhaps I was being a bit harsh. So if they can sing, dance and look good and have natural talent why don't they use it and do something original? It would certainly make for much more interesting and varied pop music.

I think what Will Young has is very special and it makes me so sad to see his natural talent being stifled by a record company intent on making only money, not good music. For gods sake someone else take this boy on and let him really shine. If Darius can do it then Will Young certainly can.

I know I'm in danger of sounding old but then that's because I am
Old 16 September 2002, 12:16 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"They're just an excuse for pretty young things with not much real talent (except the ability to pout and make a few shapes) to make tons of dosh for their record company."

this is such a daft thing to say. music nowadays has moved on from bing crosby on his stool.

it is about an entertaining package of which the music is one part. there are plenty of better singers out there than spice girls/attomic ***** etc BUT they dont have th all round package of those groups which includes things such as:

style, fashion sense, video production, celeb status etc (celeb status is hardest as you cant get it until you get it! which is why the TV shows work so well...they launch ppl who have already become celebs via the TV voting)

a stylish celeb with a cool video and an OK song is better for biz than an ugly unknown dog with a better tune!

and the way record co.s make money is buy ppl buying this so who are you to say its no good????? how many records have you sold???

T
Old 16 September 2002, 12:18 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

ps- Will young is in flop city because of his open sexuality.....if you run a record industry for 13 year old girls then gay will is not as usefull as non-gay gareth.

T
Old 16 September 2002, 12:19 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

and the way record co.s make money is buy ppl buying this so who are you to say its no good????? how many records have you sold???
I think you need to look at the sales figures for top ten hits before you start getting all arsey like that. On of Posh Spice's songs got into the top 5 with sales of < 60k. Let's be honest - with a well-prepared internet email campaign, I could probably achieve that many sales.
Old 16 September 2002, 12:21 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

good point, she does seem to be struggling these days....could you get her a job in IT if she runs short?
Old 16 September 2002, 12:26 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

As long as she was up against super_si in the interviews, I'm sure she'd be guaranteed to get the job.
Old 16 September 2002, 12:29 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

super si and posh on the help desk! good luck to anyone working there!

T
Old 16 September 2002, 01:31 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry I asked!
Old 16 September 2002, 02:07 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

As consistently the richest, happiest and most talked about of the five ex-spice girls, the only one in a stable marriage with one of the country's biggest footballing heroes and someone with a personal wealth in excess of £10 million, I'd hardly say Posh Spice was "struggling"!

Anyway, as Adlai Stevenson said, "Nothing so dates a man as to decry the younger generation".
Old 16 September 2002, 02:12 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

I never said she was struggling income-wise. But her music career is definitely struggling. However, despite that, she still makes the top 10 because the required sales levels are so low...
Old 16 September 2002, 03:20 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Quote:

I think you need to look at the sales figures for top ten hits before you start getting all arsey like that. On of Posh Spice's songs got into the top 5 with sales of < 60k. Let's be honest - with a well-prepared internet email campaign, I could probably achieve that many sales.

To be honest, ALL tracks are released based on chart predictions months in advance This is where record companies are very good at what they do. The average turn around for a single (including studio time) is about 4 months
To get to #1 these days aint difficult - it depends on how many copies have been sold of the #2 song. The amounts to get to the top spot change EVERY week!!!

If it's a bad week - then any old cr@p can get to #1 (and usually does!!)

PS Groove Corp think it's hilarious that the track's been re-released!!! Just think, even more royalties!!! Not too sure about Billy Ray - they parted on dodgy terms...

Dan

Quick Reply: mantronix - got to have your love...