Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Phone backup at Carphonewarehouse

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2002, 10:29 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to be changing phone at Carphonewarehouse in the next few days (Nokia 8210 to Motorola V70 probably, also going T-Mobile to Orange). Can they upload/download your phone directory in the store? Anyone know if that's a chargable service?

Cheers...
Fatman
Old 11 September 2002, 10:52 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

If you mean copy your sim then I think they can do that for free there and then - I just purchased a T68i - although I stayed on the same network I was getting a new contract (cheaper than upgrading plus other reasons) which meant new sim - they just popped the old one into an adaptor on their computer, saved the stuff, then pop the new sim in and downloaded it onto that. No charge, took no time at all.

Old 11 September 2002, 11:18 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

They should be able to transfer any numbers stored on the SIM Card.
Old 11 September 2002, 11:22 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Have you looked at other options -

I don't rate motorola phones (and I used to work there and @ Orange).

Here are usually very cheap for orange contracts, and a tip if you are buying a dearer phone, buy it on OVP T mobile 400 tarriff (or better) and change after a month to cheaper tariff if you want as you will get the phone cheaper...

Jon
Old 11 September 2002, 11:29 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Yesm except I store entries on the phone not the SIM (more characters). That shouldn't matter though I guess. Sounds promising, thanks for the feedback.
Old 11 September 2002, 11:34 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I've used a Nokia 8210 for about 2-yrs now, so the 8310 would be a natural change. That's the alternative if I don't like the look'n'feel of the Motorola in the store. What do you have against Motorola phones (is it the V70 specifically?)?

I'd appreciate the 'inside' knowledge. What is it... the menus? Reception? Power management? Quality of manufacturing? Failure rate?
Old 12 September 2002, 12:42 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I had a look at the V70 and on the demo model I saw, the face was scratched to buggery from the constant swivelling of the face and where the two parts had rubbed together. I've been looking for a new phone also and am going to upgrade from my Samsung A300 to a T100, I love that colour screen and the polyphonic ring tones. Means I can have my own piccies on the inside screen along with my own music for the ring.

As for the buy the phone on a high price tariff and then switch a month later to get the phone on the cheap, forget it, companies are wise to that. If you switch tariffs within 3-5 months depending on the retailer, they will charge you the price difference that you should have paid in the first place.
Old 12 September 2002, 03:13 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

IIRC, the guy at Carphone Warhouse told me that for the first 3 months you can only change to a more expensive tariff - after the 3 months you can change to whatever. Although this was with O2 and maybe different for different companies.
Old 12 September 2002, 04:48 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

T100 is a good phone (the missus has one) but the main things that I dont like about it are the the talk/standby times - shocking for this day & age so I'd get a spare battery if you use your phone a lot. Also it isn't tri-band which is a drawback if you visit the US a lot!

The polyphonic ringtones are awesome though - sound like a gimmick but when it goes off everyone looks around in disbelief that its a mobile phone making that sound

Simon.
Old 12 September 2002, 01:30 PM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I went thru this pain. You CANNOT do it. I was going from Orange Nokia 6210 to a Motorola Timeport thingy. Cannot swap Sims because they are on different network bands and the orange sim will not work in the motorola. I didn't bother for 2 weeks then changed the Motorola for a Nokia 6210i. The Motorola was the worst phone I've ever used.
Old 12 September 2002, 08:15 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Well, I did the deed today. Got the 8310 in the end. The poor girl had to transfer the phonebook via IR port one-by-one. There really seems to be no better way as they're different networks, Orange/T-Mobile so the sim-swap wouldn't have worked. Didn't get the V70 in the end 'cos there's no sign of a car kit being available.