Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FFS Mrk 2

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2002, 03:42 PM
Shy Muppet
Scooby Regular

Location: Dancing around a maypole in the New Forest waving 6 fairy tokens in the air!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

* breeding animals species to relase into the wild/maintain the exisiting population so the extinction threat is less;
Suppose the theory is generally a good one, but does releasing captive bred animals into the wild without any naturally learned survival instincts really work? Wild animals learn about survival from their mothers/fathers. How is it going to learn on it's own. It would be interesting in know what the survival rate is for released captive bred animals into the wild.

Not to mention these animals are probably more at risk by getting shot by some a-hole as the animal probably does not have the same "fear" of man than a wild one does.

* research purposes to learn more about the animals and assist the above;
How can we learn about animals when they are not in their natural environment? Is it normal to see a bear swing it's head back and forth? Is it normal to see depressed lions doing nothing?

Sadly, I think that zoos/parks etc will also remain as until the original cause of the problem is sorted, i.e. man's interference. Things like illegal ivory trade, hunting, illegal capture of parrots, conflicts between human and animal existance, rainforest depletion, whaling, bear baiting, fur trade, etc, etc, etc will always continue as there is always someone out there wanting an ivory statue, pretty colour parrot, fur coat, rare pet, parts of animals for "scientific research"

Just a thought.

[Edited by Shy Muppet - 9/3/2002 3:46:00 PM]
Old 03 September 2002, 11:10 AM
Damaja
Scooby Regular

Why has the zoo thread been closed now?

Tiggs put that up as my previous one got moved to the muppet forum within 2 secs of posting. That thread was good until it got a phat padlock put on it!

Lets start from where we left off,

last post was from Jen:

Have to disagree - a well run zoo serves four purposes:

* breeding animals species to relase into the wild/maintain the exisiting population so the extinction threat is less;

* research purposes to learn more about the animals and assist the above;

* education purposes, to ensure the next generation understands the threats to the wild animal population and the same mistakes aren't made over and over again;

* Finally - raising money for overseas work to maintain wild populations.

TBH, more damage is done by tourists going to Africa etc. on "eco-tours" to see the wild animals - animals aren't breeding (stress), natural habitats are being destroyed, natural resources are being wasted.... It's crueler (is that a word?! ) doing these things...

Btw - I'm not saying every zoo is good - some are shocking I just don't think it's fair to tar them all with the same brush

Jen

P.S. Sti in serious thread shocker? Or have I completely missed the point?!
Old 03 September 2002, 04:06 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

How can we learn about animals when they are not in their natural environment? Is it normal to see a bear swing it's head back and forth? Is it normal to see depressed lions doing nothing?
Shy - I admit not all zoo's are good, hense one's that the animals were so bored in that they start to exhibit the kind of behaviour you've mentioned would not be in the category of one's above, they make me [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

When I say studying - obviously this is not of the type concerning pack behaviour, territory behaviour etc. It's more of the type concerning prefered eating habits, mating behaviour, interaction - one particular example would be the development of a drug that is a natural contraceptive for certain rare wild horses in S. America who are breeding faster than the environment can handle and are at risk of wiping out their own population completley through destroying their natural and in this case unique environment - same thing happens on a lesser scale here in the New Forest.

Re: releasing into the wild - this is why projects are so carefully planned. Obviously they're not just turned out, months (years) of preparation is given moving from the UK parks, to natural habitats with "support" and then gradually removing the support. Within good projects animals are not abandoned, and some never make it to the wild - but surely it's worth it for those that do?

Obviously your last paragraph is the most potent. If only! It would be wonderful if they weren't necessary...hopfully one day we'll get to that point

Jen
Old 03 September 2002, 04:12 PM
Shy Muppet
Scooby Regular

Location: Dancing around a maypole in the New Forest waving 6 fairy tokens in the air!
Thumbs up

It would be wonderful if they weren't necessary...hopfully one day we'll get to that point
I agree One day ... hopefully ... but I hope it won't be too late.
Old 03 September 2002, 04:31 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

True But the education they do offer is invaluable - i.e. not nec. about the acutal animals per se - but more the situations they are in...e.g. you'll read about how great a scoob is, but will you apprieciate/remember it without seeing it?