Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pond advice

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2002, 12:37 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

My pond which was in the garden when I moved in is getting more and more algi and green stuff in it and I think it is due to the bushes growing and it no longer getting much if any sun light so I think I need a UV light filter system and fancy a little fountain or some running water.. nice relaxing (unless you are trying to sleep and it is 4am ).. any advice? on setting up and purchasing a system... might have to get a secondhand one which would be better for my pocket...
Thought about a big mirror to relect the sunlight but maybe not

JGM

Old 02 September 2002, 12:51 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

JGM,

If Theo (Evil Bevel) hasn't replied first...!

I posted a thread about 6 weeks ago - looking in Search under Blanket Weed will probably get it. Some excellent advice in there. In short;

IntaPet do a blanket weed contorller, just mix with water. Works very well.

Buy a barley straw bale. Works for some people. Only about £3.

It's unlikely that a LACK of sunlight is causing problems. The reverse in fact, as well as lack of oxygen from no running water.

Lastly, at least it won't get much worse now, as the colder weather inhibits growth.

Definitely get a running water source. I'm not an expert so i won't go further, but your local aquarium shop should be able to walk you through the recommended products..
Old 02 September 2002, 01:07 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

You need to balance the nutrient levels in the water. The best long term solution is to have a good mix of oxygenating weed and other aquatic plants growing. Chemical solutions don't really solve the problme, only treat the symptoms. It can be tricky to get weed to establish, but if you haven't got too many fish it willusually work eventually. If you have a lot of Carp then forget it - they dig up everything. In that case you need to go for a full substrate filter/UV carry on.

Charlie.
Old 02 September 2002, 01:14 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Make sure you have something to cover it up/fence it in with if there are kids around(even in your street). The number of small children drowning in ponds is horrific.
Old 02 September 2002, 01:15 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just read someone of that thread Telboy.. need to be more awake to take it all in..

I have had blanket weed but not this year.. currently have the floating algae.. like little green flakes.. which I netted 99% of out at the weekend.

Also have had lots of leaves falling in it but I have recently put a mesh cover so my daughter cannot fall in the pond on and the mesh is about 1cm by 1cm so not many leaves get in there now..

Pond about 500lires at most and has currently 2 fish.. did have 8 3years ago when we moved in but the others must have been eatten by something before I put the mesh on earlier this year.

Intend adding more fish from my fathers pond as his is overflowing with fish.. they are breeding like crazy..

I have a set if lylies or a lyly plant and one other plant in the pond and one large rock.. that is about it... so the shade sounds better... than not... might be all the plant waste that is the problem then.. there is a small amount of dirt whcih lays on the bottom of the pond it is shallow enough and the water is clear enough to see it.. it is made of concrete too..

JGM
Old 02 September 2002, 01:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers Neil...

I bought some wood and mesh fencing wire and have a frame that goes over it.. I can stand on it so no one is going to drown but thanks for the advice..

My daughter is not even two but loves water and would have been in it for sure..

JGM
Old 02 September 2002, 02:02 PM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

Where can you buy a frame like that to put over your pond?

My pond is about 9 feet by 9 feet and badly needs covering up. Unfortunately its sort of kidney shaped and has bushes and stuff round it. I would have thought it would need some support in the middle but I thought that would damage the lining!?!?!

Cheers
Rob

Trending Topics

Old 02 September 2002, 02:07 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Homebase..

I bought some 2inch by 2inch by 8feet length of wood and then made a frame.. my pond is l-shaped but not square.. I just made the frame into an l-shape later than the pond slightly.. has one cross member that goes right across the pond.. other run around the outside.. I then put the fencing mesh over it..

In the biggest expanse I suspect my 2year old might get the bottom of her foot damp as the mesh will give a little..

As you are talking bigger you might have to put a couple of crossmembers extra on...

JGM
Old 02 September 2002, 02:24 PM
skiddus_markus
Scooby Regular

You could securley position a big rcok in the middle of the pond for the bracing to rest on.That would stop it bowing-remember if they fall face down and the mesh goes even a little under water,kids can still drown.
Old 02 September 2002, 02:28 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yeah hopefully my mesh is strong enough to not actually have much if any water through the mesh.. perhaps on the bounce but not once they are laying on it..

JGM
Old 02 September 2002, 02:31 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Smile

JGM,

For the water feature... make sure you buy the right pump, the cheaper ones can need a lot of maintenance (getting clogged) and consume loads of electricity. The more expensive pumps (like an Oase Aquamax 5000) pay themselves back in one year on your electricity bill.

Leave it running full time to be effective, from about March to November. Stopping it for a few hours kills off all the good bacteria in the filter.

If you can net it it's still not "suspended" algae, the really tiny green stuff can't even be filtered out with a coffee filter
Only the UV filter would kill it, but I've never been a fan of it (or needed it). Expensive lamps that only last 1 year.

Try to make sure your pond gets at least 5 hours of sun BTW, otherwise oxygenators won't grow either.

Mechanical filtring, cleaning the bottom with a (loaned) pond vacuum cleaner, it will all help against green hell. Water changes do too (10% each time).

Don't put too many fish in, 500 litres is good for about 5 goldfish IMHO. Good luck
Old 02 September 2002, 02:53 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

So what is the green flakes I am currently suffering with then?

Well the pond is suffering with them

Cheers

JGM
Old 02 September 2002, 03:46 PM
AdrianFRST
Scooby Regular

Believe it or not we actually have a solar powered fountain in our pond. It may sound daft, well it is daft, but it looks ok and cost nothing to run and obviously doesn't run at night.