Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Florida..... Any tips or advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2002, 07:28 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are you staying? There are plenty of places on I-Drive and US 192 (Kissimmee) which will sell you cheap passes, but you have to be careful. Disney passes are non-transferrable and many are now biometric finger scan media. Most of those on sale at booths are re-sales (and therefore Disney 'illegal') and I don't think it's worth risking it for amount you save. If you're prepared to give up valuable vacation time you can get free tickets by agreeing to go along to timeshare presentations.

Check out Mousesavers.com for savings on all things Disney. If you want to buy your passes before you go, you can get them from the Disney Store, or try Keith Prowse - they do special deals for the UK market such as 10 day passes which expire 13 days after first use. You can also buy online at Disney's official site. Here are some more links for discounted tickets:

Ticketman
Florida Tickets
Ticketmania

If you haven't been for 10 years, you will be amazed at the changes. The entire Universal Studios complex now gives Disney a run for its money in my book. You park in one of the huge multi-storey parking lots then get the moving conveyor to CityWalk which links the whole site together. From there everything is within walking distance of everything else. Islands of Adventure is simply superb. If you find time, check out the Hard Rock Hotel.

Here are a few more ideas:

DownTown Disney - the atmosphere is best at night. Biggest Virgin Megastore in the known universe, shops, restaurants, DisneyQuest, Cirque du Soleil, Pleasure Island, Planet Hollywood and a cinema complex. It's also the place for all the local lads to cruise around in their modified japanese motors (neons obligatory).

Mini golf either on Disney property (Fantasia Gardens between Epcot and MGM Studios and Winter Summerland by the Blizzard Beach water park), or one of the many themed ones along I-Drive or the 192. Pirates Cove is good. Again, better atmosphere at night.

Boggy Creek Airboat Rides - haven't done it myself, but it gets rave reviews.

Best places for shopping are Florida Mall, Pointe Orlando (on I-Drive), Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores and the Premium Outlet mall.

Haven't ever made it to KSC. Apparently a lot of it is inaccessible following September 11, although I think they're making a effort to get visitors back. Their site has launch info.

[Edited by Matt Churchill - 9/1/2002 7:32:25 PM]
Old 09 February 2002, 10:29 AM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

If you want a rough pictorial of what we got up to in Florida, try http://pics.mornington.org.uk/

I've put a written account of what went off, and also a few pics. It's far from conventional, but you'll get the idea.

I'd always been sceptical about the US, but loved the 2 weeks I spent there, and can't wait to get back next year!

- Jon

[Edited by scoob_dood - 9/2/2002 10:30:22 AM]
Old 01 September 2002, 04:27 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

OK, Off to Floida at the end of the month with the wife and kids for a well earned break and was wondering if anyones got any tips or advice on essential things to do or see. Where is the cheapest place to buy Hoppa passes for the parks for example looks like we will be there when the next shuttle goes up, is there a good place to go and watch from. Last time we went was 10 years ago so its probably all changed now.

Cheers

Les
Old 01 September 2002, 05:24 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

A lot of the tourist stalls on the 192 will sell decent price tickets to all the main parks. You can get cheap ones that can only be used at certain times of the week etc. Plus you can always go to one then ask if they can beat the price of the one you've just been to.

Also pick up the tourist voucher books which you can pick out of the newspaper style stands and they give you discounts on pretty much every attraction, restaurant etc.

If u like adrenalin rides try the sky coaster in old town - 2nd jump is half price. I'd suggest doing it in the day as you can see a lot better and get a good sense of the 350ft height

Helicopter ride over all of the Disney parks etc is great and not too pricey. You get to see behind the scenes of Fantasmic at MGM for example. Also good when u get to see the Disney City with real homes, shops, hospitals etc - IIRC its called Celebration something or other (city/town ??).

Simon.

P.S. Dont stop at Dunkin Donuts or you will come back looking as fat as the average american

Old 01 September 2002, 06:08 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

If you go to watch the shuttle take off ,go early. We watched from about 8 miles away across a lagoon,this is about the closest you can get other than buying special viewing tickets,I'll try and find out exactly where it was.It was a night take off ,fantastic!
Old 01 September 2002, 07:17 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Oh I forgot this - amazing experience as not many in the world:

Sky Venture

Simon.
Old 01 September 2002, 08:58 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We went last year for the fourth time and stopped in Disney. This made life so very easy, in all aspects. The other three times webought our tickets from Keith Prowes Northern Ireland I beleive, he came out the cheapest. I guess Iam the same as every one who has visited Disney, not forgetting the other parks Busch Gardens Fantastic Sea world. We could go on for ever. Where ever you stop all roads lead to exictment lots of it.
Old 01 September 2002, 09:29 PM
titmarsh
Scooby Regular

buzz lightyear ride is ggrreeaatt...
Old 01 September 2002, 09:30 PM
HGV1 Driver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

We are going at the end of the month too, been 2 years ago in October and was lucky to see shuttle then, we saw it from cocco beach in the evening, one of many highlights to the holiday.

Jon
Old 01 September 2002, 09:37 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks, loads of ideas and useful links, I can't wait.

Les H
Old 01 September 2002, 11:43 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

Definately check for shuttle launch times before you go so you can plan to attend.

Dont forget Seaworld and Busch gardens. Seaworld is probably the most awesome park i have ever visited, the family will love the animal shows and they even have a couple of cool rides too. Try to catch all the animal shows, they are all worth it. Plus they give you 2 free budweisers a day in each park

Busch gardens has plenty of cool rides including my favourite roller coaster Montu!

If you are really into the rides and roller coaster scene you should also definately visit Universal Studios Islands of Adventure. This is probably the most ride packed park in the world and is very well themed throughout.

The last time i went to florida, we bought a 5 park Flex ticket which allows you entry for 7 or 14 days into universal studios, islands of adventure, busch gardens, seaworld and the Wet n Wild waterpark. If you do this you will want to spend 2 days in busch gardens and at least 2 in Seaworld.

Disney also does multi-park tickets which work out cheaper than buying individually. If you stay in disney, a magic pass can work out a very cheap way to go in and out of the disney parks (unlimited entry for duration of stay)

Whatever happens, have a lot of fun. Florida is a beautiful state and there is always plenty to see and do.

Did i mention the I-drive shopping?
Old 01 September 2002, 11:52 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Couple more things.

1. Bill Wong's Chinese Buffet - about $13 IIRC for all you can eat and free refill soft drinks. Food is well nice and loads of variety.

2. Visit Daytona International Speedway (about 1hr30mins drive from Kissimee). $99 for 3 laps around the oval track at 170mph in a pukka NASCAR = schweeet. Best to visit when a Monster Truck show or similar is on. Can also check out Daytona Beach whilst you are there - huge beach you can drive along in ur car.

3. Black Angus do some damn nice steaks. A little pricey for family meals but can get some good discounts with the tourist vouchers I mentioned earlier.
Old 02 September 2002, 12:59 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Make sure you go to Bush Gardens, the kids and you will love it! Also, buy clothes over there, they are not as cheap as people make out but the quality of them is far superior!

I went over 10 years ago and still use some of the T-shirts I bought over there now...to go to the gym or on sundays A similar uk t-shirt would have disolved by now!!
Old 02 September 2002, 01:01 PM
scoob_dood
Scooby Regular

I spent stacks in the Nike/Gap type factory outlets, often the shopping is not as cheap you might expect, but if you look around you'll find some excellent bargains! I got the latest Brazil shirt for $29, for example.

- Jon
Old 02 September 2002, 01:52 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

Went in July with my girlfriend for the 3rd time. Went to Discovery Cove which is part of SeaWorld. Here you can snorkel amongst different fish and swim with Dolphins. Wasn't expecting it to be all that, but it was a really good day out. Shopping outlet on the last stop of International Drive, Premium outlets I think it is called, has Hugo Boss, Calvin Klein, Versaci, DKNY, Ralph Lauren, Armani all at discount prices. I paid £270 for a Hugo Boss suit. Also has all the large sports outlets, Adidas, Reebok, Nike.
Old 02 September 2002, 02:03 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Universal is great. You have to go on the Spiderman ride, flippin' awesome.

Old 02 September 2002, 02:28 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

My brother did an "instructor for a day" package for his birthday (complete suprise present from my mum) at Sea World and got to spend all day with the dolphins and killer whales plus be part of the hourly shows. Unfortunately wasnt allowed to swim with the killer whales as apparently one had jumped out of the water and landed on top of a trainer who was standing on the back of another killer whale. As you can imagine he didnt stand a chance with that sort of weight crushing him