One for Scoobynet parents.

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2002, 11:33 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This is to all the parents out there.

I am currently designing a new website for a local school, and wanted to know if any Scoobynet parents have access to a school website for their children?

If so, what do you like about it, how easy is it to use, what are the benefits etc. I have access to what the children need/want, but it would be good to get feedback from what parents expect (without visiting all the parents in this area )

So any good sites out there that you use, and why are they good?

DW
Old 27 August 2002, 07:35 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Guess thats a no then
Old 27 August 2002, 08:37 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife used to work for Bibliotech, they do a school content system thing. She used to come up with features, primary/junior/secondary webzines, competitions etc etc.

I am sure an hourly rate for consultancy can be arranged....

Paul
Old 27 August 2002, 09:15 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Hi DW,

I'm not a parent, but I used to work in Schools in Manchester and a similar project was being researched in one of the schools...Kingsway.

http://www.stockportmbc.gov.uk/secondary/kingsway/

Alot of the questions were one's that parents would ask us teachers, e.g. what do these levels mean? (National Curriculum levels) Are there any useful things I can help support my childs work? (e.g. TV programmes - particulary for Geog/History) as well as the standard things you've probably already thought of: useful school dates, contact numbers for departments etc.

Another of the schools I worked in had a geography department website, this listed useful webpages to help with homework etc. which I think the parents loved more than the kids - one dad even made a working volcano from one of the webpages for the department! The serious message being the parents seemed to like to be able to support the kids....

http://www.aom.trafford.sch.uk/

Anyway, not sure if that's what you're after, but it's worth trying to help Not at work this week, but don't hesitate to give me a shout if I can be of anymore help...

Jen
Old 28 August 2002, 08:19 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

my old highschool has a pretty nifty website. let me know if you want the address for a quick look and i'll send you an email.
Hos
Old 28 August 2002, 08:33 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

The single most useful component is the school calender. Reason being as a parent you get lots of letters and bits of paper (if the kids remember to give them to you ) with all the dates on which you then lose ot misplace. Agree links to educational sites are useful for homework/revision. I think school sites sometimes go downhill because they let the kids do some of the development work - great for them but the site does show it. David. BTW Good luck with the project.