Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Football's minute silience?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2002, 11:43 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is it with this post Diana- all hug each other in times of trouble- era that means football games start with a minutes silence for whatever the medias campaign against "insert whatever they think will shift papers" is that week.

T

ps- in an ironic, full circle kind of way The Sun is today reporting on what a circus soham has become with tourists and ppl taking photos of their kids laying flowers.....errr HELLLLLLO. its a circus cause of The Sun etc who make it seem normal to travel from Lands End to Soham to lay some flowers.
Old 26 August 2002, 12:25 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Have to agree tiggs. Its always the media thats wants these things to happen.

I know its a terrible thing what has happened to the two little girls but little kids vanish in this country all the time. Its just that when it happens in the summer hols(as it does most years)then the press have got bugger all else to write about so they go to town on things like this.

Regarding the Diana bit. Have you noticed that our roads are also getting like florists these days. Anytime theres an RTA and someone dies then the surrounding area gets to look like kew gardens with flowers everywhere. Why.

Chip.
Old 26 August 2002, 12:32 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Agreed. In my view this sad story is not a National disaster - just an appalling local matter. National silence should be kept to things like Aberfan/Dunblane/Lockerbie. Media hype up is appalling. DL
Old 26 August 2002, 01:25 PM
The Crushinator
Scooby Regular

I also have to agree. Yes, it is tragic and shocking, but i don't see how a national minutes silence is appropriate

[Edited by The Crushinator - 8/26/2002 1:25:59 PM]
Old 26 August 2002, 01:44 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

The problem is the public get swept up in it all. They start to believe they knew the girls (for example) because their picture had been on every news channel, paper for the last 3 weeks.

If you then try to talk rationally to these people you're branded as harsh,insensitive and uncaring.

Richard
Old 26 August 2002, 01:48 PM
ChrisB

What about a minutes silence for anyone killed in road accidents this weekend?
Old 26 August 2002, 01:58 PM
benview7
Scooby Regular

Come on you guys People ALL over the Uk were deeply touched by this terrible tragedy and Yes I know it happens everyday somewhere, but people have the right to express their feelings in whichever way they wish and I think flowers are a good way ands show that US BRITISH really do have a sense of Compassion and all the Florists make a fortune and keep folks in jobs so something good comes out of every tragedy. I live near Dunblane and I know if you ask any person from Dunblane they would all say that the thoughts of all the people from all over the worl helped them get through this dispicable tragedy and I am pretty sure the peole of Soham might feel the same way.. I dont particulary like the press but sometimnes we need them to raise awareness to things and to this terrivble tragedy we will all be more careful with our kids,

I am proud to be BRITISH as well as a Scot and well done to everyone who sent flowers and messages
Old 26 August 2002, 02:13 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

It's a shame we can't have a *lifetime's* silence from poxy football!!!!
Old 26 August 2002, 02:16 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

LMAO @ Dave
Old 26 August 2002, 02:34 PM
tony jones
Scooby Regular

Nothing wrong with football giving a minuites silence. They did die wearing football shirts, they were football fans and football was just showing a bit of respect.

As for it happens all the time, a quote "Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for us all".

Still as apt today as 200 years ago when it was wrote.
Old 26 August 2002, 04:34 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

As Tony Jones says they were football supporters and did actually go missing/die in man utd shirts so there is logic there. Whether its right or wrong for a mins silence is it that big a sacrifice to make? If you don't want to do something else - I didnt so I went and got another beer whilst it was happening in the Chelsea Man Utd game on Friday.

P.S. Dave lol - get back to your croquet!

Simon.

[Edited by P1Fanatic - 8/26/2002 4:36:52 PM]
Old 26 August 2002, 07:17 PM
neilbbb
Scooby Regular

i agree that the public grief culture went a bit OTT with the Diana thing.

but must say i was at the game on friday and it was the best observed silence i have seen. as other posts have said they were both man u fans and the show of respect was the least we could do.

Old 26 August 2002, 08:40 PM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

I was working a game today, Brentford v Swindon and they had a mins silence for the two girls.

It's not so much to think about them but think what could be in your own situation. I thought about my daughter, although only 8 mths old , what a world she is growing up into.

At one of the smallest attendance matches , 6k or so , the feeeling was intense. Shows that it is only a very small minority that ruin it for the rest of us.

And a minute is a bloody long time to be still in this age of madness.

PP
Old 26 August 2002, 08:52 PM
Luke
BANNED

Come on its getting "Tacky"...The press love it .The Locals all want to be on TV and the radio..

You wont find the public or media behind a "Once and for all" campaign to ORDER the goverment to do something about crime ,drugs etc...

Like Sheep all following each other around.
Old 26 August 2002, 09:30 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

So if they were wearing M&S socks will all the staff and customers have a minutes silence. I dont think so.

Trouble with football is it think its just so bloody important. Still suppose it got them some good publicity for a change. Though I expect the fans are already back kicking **** out of each other and singing there anthem "Your gonna get your F****n head kicked in.

Chip.
Old 26 August 2002, 10:07 PM
Mcbrun555
Scooby Regular

Like i read in a paper last week the media are treating it like a reality tv show to take people through the emontional rollercoaster the two girls parents have gone through.

What really annoys me is how a reporter is sent from ITV, has never been to the town in their life and starts passing comments on the "mood" of the people.

Also heard a report of people taking coach tours to Soham because they "had to be there". I cannot understand this country sometimes.

Mcbrun555
Old 26 August 2002, 10:12 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's a shame we can't have a *lifetime's* silence from poxy football!!!!
nice one
Old 26 August 2002, 10:45 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

I heard about them tours,WTF is wrong with these people,we had a lynch mobs last week and now weve got "grieving" strangers touring Soham.

The vicar of Soham was on the news today telling the reporter the people of Soham should be left alone to grieve and about time to!!
Old 26 August 2002, 10:49 PM
Luke
BANNED

Bet the vicar didnt mind selling the candles in the church...........
Old 26 August 2002, 10:52 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

Thats harsh LOL
Old 26 August 2002, 10:57 PM
ChrisB

Very cynical!