Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Cancelled Stag Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2002, 10:36 AM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi folks,just thought i would come here to see if any of you could help me!?
A group of us were going to go to Prague this bank holiday weekend but as you may well have seen it is a little bit wet over there at the moment and as a result we have had to cancel aforementioned Stag weekend! As a result we are now going to Oxford,we tried several different coastal resorts but they are all fully booked. We chose Oxford because none of us have been there on the **** and we thought it would be different. Because this has all happened in the last day or so we are pushed for time in arranging things to do, so i was wondering whether any of you guys who live in or around the Oxford area would be able to reccomend any good bars, clubs, strip joints etc and any where that does quad biking, tank driving, honda pilots or mud buggies to keep us amused during the day!

Thanks

Mikey
Old 21 August 2002, 12:11 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Wink

I go to Oxford most weekends (for my sins) the main load of pubs/bars are along George Street which is nice as they are close together and you don't have far to go. The main ones I guess are The Wig & Pen, Yates's, **** & Camel, O'Neils, Bar Med (few minutes walk away) Bar Risa (same again). Chicago Rock (for the more mature party go-er (flame suit on!) Thats a handful out of a load of them! Club wise, it's pretty sh1te, Park End and The Studio?? seem to be full of teeny boppers (or am I just getting old? 22) The Gallery is a bit better but you have to be there earlier, it might be worth getting on a guest list somewhere. No doubt someone will list a load more for you anyway!
Old 21 August 2002, 01:40 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

Is this a wind up - Oxford for a Stag night A colleague had one there, but only as he knew that there would be no strip clubs, and he wouldn't get into trouble.... the clubs are ****e and the pubs get really crowded with tourists/locals.

Not trying to put you off, but I wouldn't count on a wild one. On the other I believe there is somewhere that does quads/rally driving etc at Church Enstone, but I can't remember what its called. Also there is a go cart track and the Ice Rink will let you hire Go Carts, you can take them out on the Ice which is quite fun! (I used to work there for my sins). Oxford is not blessed with leisure facilities...but has some lovely Universities....

Best of luck

Richard

Old 21 August 2002, 04:00 PM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Cheers for your help guys!
I know Oxford is not the trendiest place to go for a stag weekend but due to a limited amount of time we had to come up with somewhere!
We have been to all the usual places amongst us, ie Blackpool, Newcastle, London and we live near Brighton so we wanted to go somewhere where we havnt been before, and Oxford was mentioned!
At the end of the day you can get pissed anywhere and have a good time when there is a few of ya!

Cheers once again

Mikey
Old 21 August 2002, 04:32 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I did a search on Strip Clubs Oxford and found a website that organises your entertainment. Not sure how to create a link though! The site address was http://www.weddingservices4u.co.uk/county_oxford/oxford_stagnight.shtml.

I am sure I used to speak to someone on AOL who reckoned they were a stripper in a club in Oxford, I had my doubts they were being honest and I can't recall the club name!
Old 21 August 2002, 04:34 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

Wink

If you do find one let us know...for a friend you see!! must admit I've never looked for one "on home turf"
Old 21 August 2002, 04:35 PM
Richard Work
Scooby Regular

Probably someone I went to school with.....
Old 21 August 2002, 05:09 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Well I should have looked at the link before posting it as I couldn't find any information about Oxford on the site when I checked it!
Old 21 August 2002, 05:25 PM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Ahhh Ha - you poor lads !

Nahh you will have a giggle, but it is pretty small and no LATE clubs, except the Covern but that is a dive ...

Ensure you go to the love bar just off the high street next to the Bank Hotel and bar - quite trendy and fun ( And a nice up skirt viewing platform as well - glass floor ! ) but better to start of slightly earlier in there as it gets busy.

The Gallery / the bridge is Ok the best of the lot, but on a Saturday most places will be busy busy !

Try to be a little subtle as to the fact you are a stag party as they do get a little ****, too used to dealing with pissed up students!

On the Cowley Rd there are loads of pubs as well ( Student ville ), but it is a good place to start then head down over the river, pop into the love bar and the Bank and then into town !

Could start of the day / night at the dogs - quite a giggle and then head into town .

If you need any help drop me an e - mail

Rgds,

Paul

[Edited by Paul78 - 8/21/2002 5:29:42 PM]
Old 21 August 2002, 05:56 PM
Velryba's chick
Scooby Regular

To tell you the truth you could have done to Prague, I am from Prague and I work in a Czech travel agency so we do have a lot of up to date and correct information.

It's not that bad as they make you believe on the news.

At this mo, there's nice sunhine and warm weather, there isn't any more water on the streets and most of the mud is cleaned as well. I think the main problem is that 6 tube stations are closed, but they are in the city centre where you can walk anyway.

Nearly all the hotels are now open as well, there's no news of any diseases.

If you decide to go t Prague at any later stage let me know

Anyway enjoy Oxford

Kate
Old 21 August 2002, 06:22 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Wink

Another two junctions along the M40 and there is a village which still has stocks on the village green.........
Old 21 August 2002, 06:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Ponana or Poo Nana's or something, always have a good time in there. You could get into Froids early, get a table and get pissed on cocktails. Done the above a few times and didn't need a stripper. Not sure which nights but The Coven can play some good house music, depends what you can take. For something to do you could hire boats and head down the river, most likley cheaper than quads and a lot more dangerous.
Old 21 August 2002, 08:44 PM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Wimp!

Nothing wrong with Prague, I just got back from a cycling holiday there.

The flooded streets make it harder for the hookers to hang around on street corners, they get boarded treading water for too long
Old 21 August 2002, 10:17 PM
BigMikeyBoy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Paul78, some good info there, i am sure we will be sampling some of the watering holes! As for bouncers being a bit ****, we are more than used to that as we all originate from Colchester (beer and squaddies dont mix that well!)

Velryba's Chick - cheers for your insight into Prague! It was a split decision amongst the group as to whether to go or not! I was in the group that wanted to, along with my housemate ( Bestman ) but other members of the group were against it. Anyway, all is not lost as we have kept the flights open until next year and we are going to go there and celebrate my 30th and the grooms 30th at the same time.

Cheers once again

Mikey
Old 22 August 2002, 09:58 AM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Robin - Thats my village
Old 22 August 2002, 10:21 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Prague is a lovely place, and as for the floor shows, well what can I say? Other than they don't leave much to the imagination!
Old 22 August 2002, 11:14 AM
chopper
Scooby Regular

Just a thought - I ran a stag weekend in Cambridge a couple of years ago - we had a great time - plenty of shooting/karting/punting etc followed by much beer. I think it's a much more accessible city with better bars than Oxford....